5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MAF replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

MAF replacement

Hello all!
I'm wanting to replace the MAF sensor on my daughter's 2000 Maxima. Can I just replace the sensor or do I need to buy the whole housing with sensor attached? Can someone also throw me the genuine part number for this?
Thanks guys!
Old 02-10-2017, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Michaelrob
Hello all!
I'm wanting to replace the MAF sensor on my daughter's 2000 Maxima. Can I just replace the sensor or do I need to buy the whole housing with sensor attached? Can someone also throw me the genuine part number for this?
Thanks guys!
You can just replace the sensor itself, no need for another housing unless it's damaged.

Just go on RockAuto and find a Hitachi brand one. That is an OEM MAF sensor and will work great. Don't put any other brand on.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks man!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
You can just replace the sensor itself, no need for another housing unless it's damaged.

Just go on RockAuto and find a Hitachi brand one. That is an OEM MAF sensor and will work great. Don't put any other brand on.
Dang, the only Hitatchi one they have is with the housing too. They have Delphi, Spectra, Airtex.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:08 PM

Just to cover all the bases, you did try cleaning it, right? My 2000 was stumbling and bogging like crazy, getting worse by the day, almost undriveable. A shot of MAF cleaner took care of it.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jackman
Just to cover all the bases, you did try cleaning it, right? My 2000 was stumbling and bogging like crazy, getting worse by the day, almost undriveable. A shot of MAF cleaner took care of it.
Yes sir, just got done cleaning the old one. Still running rough but it did seem to help the idle somewhat!
When I floor the accelerator, it bogs down but when I let off the gas a little bit, I starts pulling and acting normal again. I'm kinda stumped now. I've heard of MAF sensors going bad and cleaning didn't help.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:14 PM

Yep, I've read about them failing on these cars, and it seems to be a frequent cause of trouble. I don't think there's any way to diagnose a bad MAF other than replacement, so you'll probably have to bite the bullet. The OEM Hitachi part is $122 at Rock, and you're right, it only comes with the housing. I don't think that's an outrageous price though.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, yeah I guess I'll just have to try a new one!
Old 02-15-2017, 03:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought a MAF from salvage yard. That MAF has 5 prongs whereas the MAF on my daughter's car only has 4. But I saw that the cars wiring plug has receptacles for a 5 prong plug. So I installed it, started the car and the car will immediately sputter and stall until it finally dies. BUT I can rev the motor and the RPM's will go up as far as I throttle. Put the original MAF back on the car. Car does like before, it will idle fine at 1000 RPM's but when I hit the throttle, It will only go up to about 3000RPM's. If I floor it, it bogs down bad. I'm not sure what to do at this point
Old 02-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You guys think I should do a relearn procedure with the newer MAF installed?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:37 AM

Yes, but it won't solve the problem is there's a mismatch between the car and the MAF. Maybe someone else here knows whether the 5-pin and 4-pin versions are interchangeable.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:49 PM

Hey, could you describe some of the symptoms of the car with the bad MAF?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It would be good if everyone remembered to clean the throttle body with carb cleaner and a brush, wiping the butterfly with a micro fiber cloth at the same of MAS cleaning. You will see a lot of carbon buildup, just be prudent and use common sense when addressing this process.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:47 PM

Does the MAF code flash when it happens? If not it's hard to say it's the MAF could be a fuel pump or regulator.