5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

start no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 04:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

start no start

Question i have a 01 maxima, she'll start and run great but not before i have to crank it several times but when it starts runs with no issue! Any one have any idea or experience with
​​​​​​​this issue

Last edited by Max2017; 02-11-2017 at 04:28 AM. Reason: mispelled
Old 02-11-2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Max2017
Question i have a 01 maxima, she'll start and run great but not before i have to crank it several times but when it starts runs with no issue! Any one have any idea or experience with
​​​​​​​this issue
There are quite a few possible reasons. I would start with the following three:
  • Your Crank or Cam sensor is poor/bad.
  • You are not getting enough fuel fast enough - perhaps your fuel pump is weak or the fuel filter is clogged.
  • Your battery and/or the alternator, or the associated wiring are at fault. The best way to diagnose this is to measure "battery voltage" and "starter voltage" when cranking. The two voltage should be about the same: a) If same at ~10V, your starter is at fault; b) If same at ~6V, your battery is at fault; c) If not same, you are loosing voltage somewhere - bad wiring, corroded contacts, etc.
Start by checking out the sensors, and cleaning their contact surfaces and electrical connectors. This looks like the most likely cause.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:36 PM

Try letting the key sit in the on position for about 5 seconds and then try starting it. I believe the Sentra had a fuel pump issue where the pressure regulator would not hold pressure overnight or at all.