5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Independent Nissan Mechanic near Boston?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Independent Nissan Mechanic near Boston?

I have a 2003 GLE with 108k miles. According to the OBD2 scanner, I have a cylinder #5 misfire. I'm suspecting a bad coil, though I have not yet replaced all spark plugs as you are supposed to do at 100k miles. Could be an injector, plug or coil. Unfortunately #5 cylinder is at the right rear, so replacing the coil pack or plugs requires that the intake manifold collector be removed.
I found a pictorial online, but right now due to some issues I cannot do the work myself. I contacted one local shop, and am waiting to hear what the estimated book time is, but I bet it is very high. Since I am looking for a new/used car right now, I don't want to sink a lot of money into the car, like replacing all the coils if one is bad.

There used to be an independent Nissan mechanic in Acton, but he retired. The car talk MechanX files don't show any reasonably local non stealership independent Nissan mechanics.

Anyone who lives in the area have suggestions???