5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

O2 Simulator Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

O2 Simulator Options

This question has been asked by other org members in recent months without any answers so I thought I would try again

For those who have gutted precats or headers, an electronic O2 simulator is a good option so that they can be sure to pass a visual inspection.

Since O2sim.com is gone and 3SX no longer sells them I have been looking at options.

Here are a couple that look promising:

http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detai.../nissan/maxima

http://www.area74.ca/io2/

Neither of these are dual output so 2 of them would be required.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these devices or the companies that make them?

Are there any other options out there?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by SquidBeak; 02-24-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 PM

Just use an o2 sensor spacer and it should work just as good. I have one on each of my rear sensors because my pre cats failed. Once I put those on it kept it only reading .29 volts and won't throw a CEL
Old 02-24-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax SE
Just use an o2 sensor spacer and it should work just as good. I have one on each of my rear sensors because my pre cats failed. Once I put those on it kept it only reading .29 volts and won't throw a CEL
What state are you in? Do you have emissions inspections?

In states like CA and NY, they look for alterations to your emissions equipment during the smog check. It would be much better for everything to look completely stock when getting checked.

Last edited by SquidBeak; 02-24-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by SquidBeak
I'm in CA where they look for alterations to your emissions equipment during the smog check. I want everything to look completely stock when I get checked.
I'm puzzled by this statement. Wouldn't an O2 Sim be considered a modification if it was found?
Old 02-24-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I'm puzzled by this statement. Wouldn't an O2 Sim be considered a modification if it was found?
It is MUCH easier to hide an electronic O2 simulator. You can even wire it up inside the cabin next to your ECU, completely out of sight. A spacer or anti-fouler, especially on HO2S2-B1 is right out in the open and extremely easy to spot. If anyone looks under the car and sees the anti foulers, you aren't going to pass.

It would be nice if we could keep this on topic, which is discussing the actual O2 simulators I linked to in my original post.

Last edited by SquidBeak; 02-26-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:01 AM

I've used the magnum tuning sims. Installed them on an IS300 after a header install and subsequent spacer/de-fouler headache/fcukery. They work great and also have an adjustable potentiometer. The only thing that sucks is they aren't available in dual output config. I had to install one for each "bank" on the IS300. Just to be clear, I've only used these on downstream o2's. I wouldn't sim the up stream sensors unless you are running a stand alone or something of that nature.

I have one of the old o2simulator.com dual output types on my Maxima that is like 5-6 years old and still works great. I wish I had purchased a bunch of those back in the day as they're worth they're weight in gold these days lol.

You could buy one from each manufacturer and test them out. Then post the data. That would be cool. Good luck either way man.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:13 AM

I purchased my sims from a UK seller on ebay. Can't find them anymore. These things are just getting rare.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:59 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Good info about the Magnum sims. Thanks 4thGen.

I wonder if they are banned in the UK. Crazy.

I sent an email to Area74 and got a quick response. He was very confident that the iO2 will work well with the Max. He sent me a wiring diagram for an '08 max, FWIW.

Between the two of these, I think one or both ought to work. The only real downside is that they are fairly pricey. But if it solves the problem then it's probably worth it.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:36 AM

I know on this side of the pond it is illegal to make modifications to the factory emissions system. That's why a lot of shops won't do custom exhaust work anymore, they risk losing their business. I'm sure these O2 sim sellers are slowly being picked off by some EPA pencil pusher that thinks my car's exhaust is destroying the world.