5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 - Is this a normal RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:40 AM

2001 - Is this a normal RPM?

Dear Maxima people,

I have been having trouble with my '01 recently which at first I thought were transmission issues but now believe is a MAF or air intake hose problem.

I bought a new MAF ( http://www.autozone.com/engine-manag...839342_0_24655 ) and installed it, and noticed that the performance did get better, for example, the lag when I really step on it, has significantly lessened, and the shifts in gear seem to be softer, but there is definitely some hesitation still.
The RPM's are always weird too, dropping real low sometimes, making it feel like the car is going to die at any moment. Also, there have been times if the RPM's are low, and I jab the gas pedal, the dashboard lights up, the CEL and all, for a second, then shut off again.

Could this be because the MAF is not Hitachi? I've also noticed that my air intake hose is extremely dry and could potentially be cracked. In fact, half a year ago I had my starter changed, and the mechanic told me to get it changed....

Theoretically, if the MAF sensor is not the issue, could a crack on the air intake hose be causing hesitation?

Is there a way to be sure this is not a transmission issue? For example, the transmission oil has been checked, and is quite clean.

Thank you for the help!

Last edited by District; 03-09-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:57 PM

your RPM is normal at idle. Now as far as the intake hose, yes, if it cracked or very brittle that it's gonna crack, it's gonna affect your RPM and hestiation which would set a engine light that would be call a vacuum leak. which means you're getting unmetered air in uncontrolled environment hence a crack hose.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
your RPM is normal at idle. Now as far as the intake hose, yes, if it cracked or very brittle that it's gonna crack, it's gonna affect your RPM and hestiation which would set a engine light that would be call a vacuum leak. which means you're getting unmetered air in uncontrolled environment hence a crack hose.
I am starting to think that this may be the issue. Ordered a new hose on amazon. Will see how it goes!