5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 Maxima Will Not Staying Running

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 Maxima Will Not Staying Running

Hello all,

I am need of advice...

I have a 2001 Nissan Maxima, 3.0. It stalled out on me over a month ago. The code that came up was P0100, which was not the MAF sensor but a faulty hose that went to the throttle body. After I replaced that part, the car would not start again, then I made sure the MAF was good, it was.

Was looking at the dianostigtics on the OBD2 reader, it was saying the O2 where not perfoming well, so I replaced both Bank 1 Sensor 1 & 2. That did not do it.

A friend came over suggested it was the crankshaft sensor, he sprayed some cleaner by around it and wiped it a bit, then the car started. So I replaced the part, and clean the area really well, but car still would not start with new sensor or old one.

Then I check the camshaft sensor and notice it had some oil in the housing for the connector. I read that was not good and it needed to replaced. Did that, car still will not start.

When I got the car to run when the accelerator was pressed on to hold idle the whole time, this has been going on since the stalling. I notice after the car stall out a humming noise coming from the rear of the car. I found where the the sound was, it was coming from the gas tank area. I took off the gas cap and the noise went away. It does sound the fuel pump turns on when I turn ignition on. So I am at lost at what the issue is. Insight on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Wilcox
Old 03-09-2017, 11:26 PM

So, it looks like you have needlessly replaced: a) Your B1 O2 sensor, b) Your B2 O2 sensors, and c) Your Camshaft sensor.

Perhaps it's time to diagnose the problem before replacing parts at random. Your car correctly told you that there was a problem with the MAF and/or Air intake. It looks like you took care of it by fixing the intake leak.

So, now re. the present situation: What is your car telling you now? Any codes or pending codes ??
What do you mean by "When I got the car to run when the accelerator was pressed on to hold idle the whole time, this has been going on since the stalling" ??
Are you trying to say that : "I can only start the car by depressing the accelerator" ?? If you are indeed trying to say that, then there is some (reasonably good) chance that your IACV is at fault. In either case, check for any (pending) codes, and for the dreaded P0505 in particular. If there are no codes, repeat your experiment to confirm that the car always does (does not) start when the accelerator is depressed.

I suspect your experiments will show that you can never start the car unless you depress the accelerator. If, so it's all but certain your IACV is at fault. In either case, don't do any repairs until you read the document about ECU failures in my signature.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

maxiiboy,

I have had to codes, 1st = P0100 - this was has gone away. 2nd = P0300 that has gone away. From the P0300 code my buddy who is a mechanic for over 40 yrs suggested the crankshaft sensor. However it was not that. So no new codes have been thrown.

The car will run only if you depress the gas pedal, once you take foot off gas pedal the engine stops running. Seems to have some form of fuel presure to run while pressing down the gas pedal, but have to keep rpms high or hold steady rpm at 800 - 1000 to keep car running.

I will read the link on the ecm, I have been wondering if that would be the problem.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:12 PM

The engine idle is supposed to be around 700 to 750 rpm, so if the engine won't do that by itself, that is the problem you need to solve. It could be the IACV as maxiiiboy said. Another possibility is the fuel pressure regulator.