5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Will these speakers work for 2002?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:30 PM

Will these speakers work for 2002?

Amazon Amazon

Front two speakers need to be replaced. I know the size for a 2002 is 6.5", but I'm not sure if there are any other size requirements. Will these speakers work? Thanks.

And yes, I'll probably buy the solderable connectors so I don't have to cut my factory harness.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:28 AM

If the car has a Bose system installed, then no. Bose uses 1 ohm speakers.

Otherwise they should work.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If the car has a Bose system installed, then no. Bose uses 1 ohm speakers.

Otherwise they should work.
Thank you!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:30 AM

Just checked, and I do not have Bose speakers, so I will get these.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:08 PM

So I'm attempting to remove the door panels. Took out the two screws and all the necessary trim pieces, however I cannot get the panel off. They are REALLY stuck on there. I see that the clips are blue, are those original ones? I thought they'd be black. But anyone have any good tips?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:09 PM

There is a screw at the top front corner by the dashboard and a screw in the bottom of the finger hole in the armrest that you need to remove.

There are 3 clips along the bottom edge, 1 clip along the front edge towards the dash and 2 clips along the back edge. The clips are different colors, you might find whitish/cream colored clips too.

Name:  100_2050b_zpsvt8j4uqt.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  59.4 KB
Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There is a screw at the top front corner by the dashboard and a screw in the bottom of the finger hole in the armrest that you need to remove.

There are 3 clips along the bottom edge, 1 clip along the front edge towards the dash and 2 clips along the back edge. The clips are different colors, you might find whitish/cream colored clips too.

I removed the two screws, the window control, and trim around the door handle. I guess the clips just don't want to budge. I've tried wedging screw drivers in there, removing the step lamp and pulling directly on the clip, but no success. I might invest in a door panel removal tool.

What is the likely hood of needing to buy new clips?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:13 PM

If you are using just a screwdriver, the likelihood of breaking a clip is fairly high. This is because you are only prying on one side and that pulls the clip sideways, requiring more force. The special tool for the clips is like a letter U that pulls on both sides of the clip at the same time.

Just don't try pulling on the panel as this can cause the "pocket" that the head of the clip sits in to rip open. Don't ask me how I know this.

Even using a screwdriver, I don't understand why the clips don't come out. The step lamp will not prevent you from getting the panel loose, but the wire harness won't give you a lot of working room.

Name:  100_2049a_zpsneh8sn1e.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  75.7 KB

Name:  100_2051_zpsl87aajpt.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  270.4 KB

Last edited by DennisMik; 03-19-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:01 PM

Update: I was finally able to get a door panel off. I tried the drivers side this time and was able to get it off. Removed the speaker and found that the ones I bought are too small. So I have to cut out the old speaker and reuse the stock housing in order to make it work. I'll hot glue it in place and all should be well. I will post another update once I get them installed.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 PM

Quick question, how do I determine which wires are positive and negative? Both of the wires going into the plug are the same color. I do not have a volt meter or anything. Is there a redneck way of doing this?
Old 05-23-2017, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
Quick question, how do I determine which wires are positive and negative? Both of the wires going into the plug are the same color. I do not have a volt meter or anything. Is there a redneck way of doing this?
are you sure one of the wires don't have a small line on it
Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgendriver
are you sure one of the wires don't have a small line on it
I can check again, but I thought both were the same color. If one wire has a line, is that the ground wire?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:27 AM

I can check again, but I thought both were the same color. If one wire has a line, is that the ground wire?
I believe it is the +. maybe someone else will chime in. if not, just make sure you connect each speaker the same way.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgendriver
I believe it is the +. maybe someone else will chime in. if not, just make sure you connect each speaker the same way.
I got them to work. Passenger side had one wire with a stripe and the other was solid. I used the stripe as ground since the ground wire on the speaker had a stripe.

The driver side had both wires with a stripe, except one stripe was white and the other was yellow. I used the yellow as the ground because when matching up the plugs, it was on the same side as the one striped wire on the passenger side.

All is good now!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:25 PM

I got them to work. Passenger side had one wire with a stripe and the other was solid. I used the stripe as ground since the ground wire on the speaker had a stripe.

The driver side had both wires with a stripe, except one stripe was white and the other was yellow. I used the yellow as the ground because when matching up the plugs, it was on the same side as the one striped wire on the passenger side.

All is good now!
good deal...