5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

auto 02 Maxima has trouble shifting at 6000+ rpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:36 PM
Jor

auto 02 Maxima has trouble shifting at 6000+ rpm

The car drives fine but sometimes first to second can be clunky or take too long, especially when it's pressed to the floor as shown in video.

Car is 2002 maxima automatic any help would be appreciated
Old 03-14-2017, 10:16 PM

I'd also like to know. Does it feel like your first to second takes too long, as in the engine doesn't feel it is getting the same amount of power as before? As if the engine was "tighter" in response to your pedal?

Because that is what I have on mine....ordered a new MAF, hoping it will fix the issue
Old 03-14-2017, 11:13 PM
Jor

Originally Posted by District
I'd also like to know. Does it feel like your first to second takes too long, as in the engine doesn't feel it is getting the same amount of power as before? As if the engine was "tighter" in response to your pedal?

Because that is what I have on mine....ordered a new MAF, hoping it will fix the issue
Yes! This is the exact same thing!

It sometimes feels like it loses power and then finds it again when it's too late. It's a weird sensation but I know exactly what you're talking about. Let me know if the MAF is the issue, would be great if it is.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM

I got some advice that's worth exactly what it'll cost you
let your car go into second early, and apply heavy throttle after it's in second

as 6000 rpm 1-2 upshifts on a 15 year old car aren't going to happen much longer so lighten up if you want it to live
Old 03-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Jor

Originally Posted by Bow Tie Guy
I got some advice that's worth exactly what it'll cost you
let your car go into second early, and apply heavy throttle after it's in second

as 6000 rpm 1-2 upshifts on a 15 year old car aren't going to happen much longer so lighten up if you want it to live
self control
Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM

an apply band is made from the same friction materials used in clutches and brake pads

the 1-2 shift occurs when the apply band clamps the foward clutch drum.
when the 1-2 shift is no longer "crisp" and firm it's because the apply band and clutch drum are worn

a sloppy or weak slipping 1-2 shift is a sure sign that someone is going to pay the piper sooner than later
Old 03-21-2017, 03:39 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Try manually shifting at full throttle, that increases line pressure and may buy you some time before the transmission fully gives out.