5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

So, I have a serious PROBLEM! 😔

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So, I have a serious PROBLEM! 😔

So, I have a PROBLEM! My father in law and I replaced my clutch, throw out bearing, and flywheel. On my 00' Nissan Maxima. I drove it to work for 2 days and on the 2nd day it grinded while down shifting from 4th to 3rd, to get off on and exit to a complete stop. [stop sign] From then on it would not let me go in to 1st gear or 2nd gear. Only 3rd, 4th, 5th and Reverse works. I've tried bleeding the master cylinder and slave cylinder. Still I can't seem to get it into gear. Does anyone have an idea on what had happen?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Doesn't sound like a clutch issue or it wouldn't go into any gear. The clutch system doesn't care what gear you're going into. If the car is stopped and running you need the clutch to go into any gear.

I would check the shifter linkages where they connect to the tranny.

I would also check the fluid to make sure he replaced what was lost when pulling the tranny.

Was it a stock clutch?
How does the stick feel?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Doesn't sound like a clutch issue or it wouldn't go into any gear. The clutch system doesn't care what gear you're going into. If the car is stopped and running you need the clutch to go into any gear.

I would check the shifter linkages where they connect to the tranny.

I would also check the fluid to make sure he replaced what was lost when pulling the tranny.

Was it a stock clutch?
How does the stick feel?
Werd. No fluid means nonworking synchros.

And it's really weird how it goes from shifting fine to nothing. My Z32 ran low. Parked it and 30 mins later it refused to go into first. Drained and filled, then it was good as new.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:07 PM

Is the drive axle all the ways seated into the tranny case?