5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

DRL problems 5.5 gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:35 PM

DRL problems 5.5 gen

Im having problems with my hi beams, but because I'm in Canada we have DRLs, the passenger side hi beam doesn't seem to work, I've tried a different bulb, swapped out the DRL module 3 times, can't think of anything else, is there something I might be missing? And maybe I can just wire in my hi beams some how without the DRLs, does anyone know if thats possible?
Old 03-26-2017, 07:24 PM

Did you swap it with a known good module? Try cracking your module open and looking for bad solder joints (I had a similar problem it was the solder joints: https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...drl-issue.html)

If not solder joints, check the connectivity of the wiring from the bulb to the DRL module
Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by AaronL
Did you swap it with a known good module? Try cracking your module open and looking for bad solder joints (I had a similar problem it was the solder joints: https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...drl-issue.html)

If not solder joints, check the connectivity of the wiring from the bulb to the DRL module

I tried from my drivers side unit and it still Doesnt work, the actual DRL works, but when I hit the hi beams it just turns off and the drivers side will work, that's it, which wires would I look for?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:22 AM

That is a sign that the DRL module is bad. A big majority of the times all you have to do is remove the DRL module, open it up and find the cold solder connections and resolder them.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
That is a sign that the DRL module is bad. A big majority of the times all you have to do is remove the DRL module, open it up and find the cold solder connections and resolder them.
yea, except I took the DRL module from my drivers side which works and tried on the passenger side and its still not working
Old 03-29-2017, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Oh_A
yea, except I took the DRL module from my drivers side which works and tried on the passenger side and its still not working
Are there actually two DRL modules for our cars? I know in the 2001 and 2002 there is only a single module and it seems unlikely (for a lot of reasons) that there would be 2 modules for later years.