5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pop/crunch noise when pressing the pedal from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Pop/crunch noise when pressing the pedal from a stop

I am getting a pop/crunch noise from the driver front wheel well when pressing the gas from a stop.

It only happens when fully stopped then pressing the gas. It sounds like the strut moving.

I have new struts, control arms, tie rods, tie rod ends, and sway bar links.

Do you think something is loose?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:05 AM

It could be a bad CV joint in the axle. First check that the axle nut didn't come loose. Then drive the car slowly maybe 5 mph and make a turn, both left and right. This is when axles will make the most noise.

It could also be a bad strut bearing in the top of the strut tower. Look at the nut on the top of the strut shaft. It should be dead center in the opening. Another thing I do to check this is to open the hood and watch the that strut mounting nut while you push and pull the car sideways. You should not see that nut move at all. You should also make sure that the hood will not fall down and chop your fingers off.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
It could be a bad CV joint in the axle. First check that the axle nut didn't come loose. Then drive the car slowly maybe 5 mph and make a turn, both left and right. This is when axles will make the most noise.

It could also be a bad strut bearing in the top of the strut tower. Look at the nut on the top of the strut shaft. It should be dead center in the opening. Another thing I do to check this is to open the hood and watch the that strut mounting nut while you push and pull the car sideways. You should not see that nut move at all. You should also make sure that the hood will not fall down and chop your fingers off.
Thanks for the reply. The axle nut is super tight, my buddy tightened it with a breaker. No noise when turning.

Struts are new quick struts.

Gonna get the car looked at on saturday
Old 04-07-2017, 02:11 PM

pLaN3cRaSH is back?1?!?!

check CV joints, possibly a wheel bearing but i doubt it. Also when the struts were changed did you also replace the strut mounts? A broken one can cause a lot of noise.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
pLaN3cRaSH is back?1?!?!

check CV joints, possibly a wheel bearing but i doubt it. Also when the struts were changed did you also replace the strut mounts? A broken one can cause a lot of noise.
The issue was a loose nut on the control arm. The shop tightened it up and havent heard it since.