5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Advice on Purchasing a Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:10 AM

Advice on Purchasing a Maxima

Hello, I'm considering purchasing a 2000-2003 Maxima for a driver. I'm just wondering if a person found one with say 60k miles that has been well maintained and no rust or under would you pay over $5k for that Maxima? Or would you buy one that has near 100k that and for $3k and do repairs as needed? Just curious to hear some thoughts on this as I'm trying to considering which way to go? My thoughts lean toward the low mileage car that has been serviced but, some I have seen are priced toward $5500 and $6k. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:18 PM

A well taken care of vehicle ( Total package) command a premium price. If you have the money to get a well taken care of maxima I say do it. I bought one barely running for $500, but I'm a mechanic. I don't take my car to the mechanic I jack it up and say "That needs to be replaced and I do it. Even though I'm fairly new to this forum I have a wealth of car knowledge behind me. Look for good paint, good interior, and service record if you're going to pay a premium price. People who take good care of their car like to keep records usually.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by usaf2000
I'm just wondering if a person found one with say 60k miles that has been well maintained and no rust or under would you pay over $5k for that Maxima? Or would you buy one that has near 100k that and for $3k and do repairs as needed? Just curious to hear some thoughts on this as I'm trying to considering which way to go? My thoughts lean toward the low mileage car that has been serviced but, some I have seen are priced toward $5500 and $6k. Thank you in advance.
For whatever it's worth: I am the original owner of a 2000AT Maxima. I have always maintained my car very well. During the interval (60K miles, 120k miles), my repair expanses totalled $4,100. This excludes all regular maintenance such as new tires, oil changes, brakes, etc.

Just make sure there is no rust - especially the dreaded radiator support.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:56 PM

really? 60k miles? that would be very very unusual for a car with that low low mileage for the age of the car, sound like a grandma's car, hardly driven. But what year is that Maxima, additionally it's probably gonna be worth that much over 5k for it. I've seen 2000 Maxima with 120k they want 4500 for it, I thought that's a lot for a 17 year old car. But only if it's well care for.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:32 PM

Thank you everyone for all the replies in this thread so far. I hope I don't have regrets but, I took the bullet here. The car in question was a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE with 57k miles out of Miami, Florida. I'll try to link the pictures from the seller here.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:37 PM

Here's part of the CarFax on the car and I'm going to try to attach a few more images.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:42 PM

Here's an engine picture and I will attach the seller's link to album. It was on eBay and I ended up winning the auction for $100. The bidding ended at $6750. It's more than I would normally go for a car but, finding these with low miles and looks to be taken care of are few and far between. What does this forum think?

BTW, here's the link to the photo album.

http://s1211.photobucket.com/user/dp..._NISSAN_MAXIMA
Old 04-10-2017, 05:33 AM

I'm a little jealous. I have a 2001 SE that I bought several months ago with 173000 miles. The car had been well maintained and so far I am very happy with it. I paid $2,000 for mine and over the last few months I have had to fix some minor issues such as the driver's door sagging a little, a passenger side air bag module and general detailing.

I am sure with that milage and condition you will be happy.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:04 PM

If you like the car that's not a bad price. Some may disagree of course, but that's some super low miles and considering it's a dealer price that's really not too bad.

Last year I paid over 5 for mine, also from a dealer, with only 67k, but it was a super clean '03 TE 6sp one-owner clean-title, which are more rare. Auto's are very common. Like the other guy said, repairs can add up fast, so if it's in decent shape I wouldn't feel bad about that price.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:41 PM

Wow, nice looking car, but I hope that you didn't pay $7300 for it. I bought a 2003 SE in 2014 with 70K miles on it for $6400 thinking it was the right thing to do, and I honestly regretted it. Age is a killer on cars, no matter how few miles they have on them. Though well taken care of, I ended up trading the car in 2 years later for $4K against a 2016 Nissan Rogue lease. I did this because I started hearing the infamous catalytic converter exhaust rattle and I knew I was in for major expensive work replacing the pre-cats and exhaust.
To be honest, I would never pay over $5K for any car that is near 15 years old. Honestly, I try to target paying near or close to $3K for cars between 10-15 years old in good condition. My current daily driver is a 2002 Nissan Maxima GLE with 109K that I bought in 2015 for $2900 with only 93K on the clock! This car also had the dreaded exhaust rattle, so I gutted and replaced the entire exhaust system myself last year with aftermarket parts, and it still cost me $1000 out of pocket! I guess my point in telling you this is to watch out for the exhaust / pre cat issues on these cars, and be ready to pay a decent amount on maintenance even though you have low mileage!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:21 PM

That is a very clean looking car. Very nice. Best of luck with it. They are great cars and this is a great forum if you have questions. The only thing to confirm is there were a couple of recalls (at least on my 02) so you should just confirm they were done.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 AM

Thank you for all the replies I didn't pay $7300 for it. I paid slightly under $7k. Is it steep? Yes, it is. I have lurking the boards here for a while. I actually was going to buy a 2004 Infiniti I35 which is this car here in the link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Infinit...p2047675.l2557

There was some others I was looking at as well. Heck, I even looked at the WJ/ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokees but, they have their own issues as well. My goal was to find a Maxima with low miles and rust free. I searched quite a few place over the past few months. As best as I can see, it appears that way. But, we'll see if the Maxima is a good car compared to my old '89 Acura Legend Coupe I had years ago.

Last edited by usaf2000; 04-11-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:16 PM

I bought a well maintained, low mileage '02 max like this about 4yrs ago, and the only critical things I've had to replace due to failure was the alternator, starter, and radiator. Other than that she's been running like a champ....good luck, and I hope she gives you many years to come!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Baker
A well taken care of vehicle ( Total package) command a premium price. If you have the money to get a well taken care of maxima I say do it. I bought one barely running for $500, but I'm a mechanic. I don't take my car to the mechanic I jack it up and say "That needs to be replaced and I do it. Even though I'm fairly new to this forum I have a wealth of car knowledge behind me. Look for good paint, good interior, and service record if you're going to pay a premium price. People who take good care of their car like to keep records usually.
This.
Also this guy became my new source of info.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:40 PM

Congrats. I would be 3 times as jealous if it was a stick. I'm only twice as jealous though.
Here's my experience on used cars.
I browse craigslist,cars.com,cargurus etc etc quite often. Specifically looking for low mileage cars from the 90s or early 2000s.
A 6 speed maxima being one of those(02-03 of course)
Low mileage cars call for a premium,and people are hard to negotiate.
Well finally found one(amazingly it was on a local craigslist)Bought it last week.
-02 6 speed,85 miles. 4,600 .I offered 4 k,he wasn't hearing it. I gladly paid 4,600 bucks even though it had no service records nor the owners manual.
Why was I glad?
Well
1.These cars(much reading) are legit. Source and built in Japan. Most 90s-early 2000s cars overall are reliable,due to higher quality parts(not as much cost cutting)
and still built where countries aren't below the poverty line.
2. Not a mechanic,but know when I see a good car.
Oil filler is clean(no gunk in engine),no smoke on start-up,pulls hard,ac works good,
battery and alternator were good,tires new,plugs and boots are new,combustion chamber looked good(inspection camera),overall could tell the car was well cared for.Just needs struts and shocks,no biggie.
Carfax was clean although last service was Feb and that's it.
Would I have paid 6,700 for almost 30k less miles,service records all the way down with a body like that?Hell yes,cuz I know that Maxi will outlast my marriage.
Be driving in it with all my clothes in it.
You made a good decision. Welcome !
Old 04-12-2017, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by sanford7575
I started hearing the infamous catalytic converter exhaust rattle and I knew I was in for major expensive work replacing the pre-cats and exhaust.
u were probably mis guided, i had this rattle for years and it wasn't exhaust , even tho it sounded exactly i mean exactly like exhuast, its the Tensioner pulley aka idler pulley aka serpentine belt tensioner pulley.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by usaf2000
Thank you for all the replies I didn't pay $7300 for it. I paid slightly under $7k. Is it steep? Yes, it is. I have lurking the boards here for a while. I actually was going to buy a 2004 Infiniti I35 which is this car here in the link. My goal was to find a Maxima with low miles and rust free. I searched quite a few place over the past few months. As best as I can see, it appears that way. But, we'll see if the Maxima is a good car compared to my old '89 Acura Legend Coupe I had years ago.
nice ! good luck w the new car ! looks like a mint condition car ! and as others said low miles isnt the solution everything so just don't be mad if some odds and ends come up w age regardless of miles!

car looks amazing !
Old 04-12-2017, 05:37 AM

Why not just go for the 2008 Maxima for $5000-$10000?
Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 AM

Hello, I wanted to say thank you for all the comments. I didn't go with the newer Maxima because I like this body style plus I wanted to stay cheaper. There is other cars I could have chose but, they too have their own set of issues. The other thing is I myself don't care much for the Nissan CVT. I had a 2015 Nissan Altima in the past with the 4 cylinder. I like the rest of the car but, not the CVT shifting pattern.

The newer Maximas are nice cars but, they're not as distinctive from their Altima sibling as compared the prior Maximas. Anyways, most of these I have seen has been pretty well used up like most other cars. I hope it turns out to be a decent car. I suppose time will tell all. Thank you again.

Last edited by usaf2000; 04-19-2017 at 04:07 AM.