5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Important rush!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Important rush!!!

This guy posted this maxima for sale saying that the radiator core support has been replaced (because they are notorious for rusting according to him) it has about 240K miles.

Worth buying still??? I'd like to get into maximas and familiarize with them

He also included a youtube video for the car

Old 04-15-2017, 08:04 PM

Hmm thats a lot of miles. ABS light on too.Sensor perhaps.
Offer 850 .
Old 04-15-2017, 09:54 PM
Bad *** Newb

Trash if no headers. There's a reason he's unloading it (drinks more oil than he drinks water).
Old 04-16-2017, 12:49 AM

and it's an SE. aka peasant edition with no BOSE, no leather, Grey not wood interior trim, no electric everything AND you must exert force with your foot and hand to change gears.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
and it's an SE. aka peasant edition with no BOSE, no leather, Grey not wood interior trim, no electric everything AND you must exert force with your foot and hand to change gears.
IMO, I'd take my no factory upgraded SE over the super fancy GLE. Why? Because the GLE has more things that can break/stop working.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:47 AM

The rest of the car will be rusty as well.
You'd be better off in the long run finding a rust free car in the south and shipping it.
It'll cost more but it will pay for itself over time with repairs.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
IMO, I'd take my no factory upgraded SE over the super fancy GLE. Why? Because the GLE has more things that can break/stop working.
surprisingly of the electrics to break was just the driver's side window and the plastic radiator.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
Having had the GLE the only part your statement is valid on is the Bose system. It blows.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
my se has bose, leather, electric everything, no force needed to change gears (bc its auto tho). wood trim is overrated

gxe is true peasant status

Last edited by cornholio; 04-16-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
The rest of the car will be rusty as well.
You'd be better off in the long run finding a rust free car in the south and shipping it.
It'll cost more but it will pay for itself over time with repairs.
If you listen to any reply ,listen to this one. I bet the car is a rotten mess. And been beat bad
Old 04-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jolopocholo
This guy posted this maxima for sale saying that the radiator core support has been replaced (because they are notorious for rusting according to him) it has about 240K miles.

Worth buying still??? I'd like to get into maximas and familiarize with them

He also included a youtube video for the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2DntibsXh0
If it's local check it out. At 240K you are not buying basic transportation unless it's generally in running order - going 90 down the freeway doesn't show diddly. What I would want to know:

- why is that SRS blinking? 90mph with no seatbelt on?
- my ABS light is on as well, it's a sensor in the wheel (blush - been on for years now).
- does the clutch slip?
- a/c work?
- where's it from? I got mine from some yokel on this group out of Maryland. He knew I was flying up to check it out.
I should have known better. He did a good job covering the paint damage. But it had low mileage. Came out of NY,
so there may be some rust, which would be my biggest concern.

As for the other comments, a car at 240K is GOING TO NEED WORK. Drink oil? Of course. Hell these cars drank oil at 50K. We all know this. BOSE? It's not even a BOSE system, it's a relabeled POS something or other (someone help me out).

This is what we call a project car. My 2002 6 speed is sitting in the driveway now at 156K. It drinks a quart of oil every 4000 miles, I just swapped out the remainder of the ignition coils, the tires are new, and the a/c needs a little freon. But it's paid for, and I would have no issue going cross country in it.

Last edited by cgilley; 04-16-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:10 AM

Double check the rad support.

I found out a repaired rad support by a previous owner doesn't mean it's been repaired properly. Double check that for yourself, my engine was bouncing around pretty bad after my "repaired" support rotted through.

Oh, and everything electric will fail on this car, maybe at 240k it's all been replaced. My volume ****, steering wheel controls, and passenger window switch don't work. Seat heater switch, starter, alternator, cam and crank position sensors were all gone before 120k miles.