5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000-2001 Maxima OBD scanner wont read?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000-2001 Maxima OBD scanner wont read?

Can someone answer if a non Nissan OBD scan tool will read system ready test on the catalyst for a 2000-2001 Maxima with CA specs?

This is from the most recently updated BAR guild for vehicle of interest Nissan Maxima 2000-2001.

"Failure to set catalyst monitor"
"Only OEM scan tool shows OBD catalyst code".

I have driven drive cycle several time and 250 miles but regular OBD scanner still shows catalyst incomplete.

No DTC codes and car runs like a dream.

Here is the link to the BAR reference guild.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Chec...ll_Version.pdf
Old 05-10-2017, 12:50 PM

There are probably "generic" scanners that do show the catalyst readiness. The OBD scanners you can buy have a big variation in price. The cheapest ones show you the codes but you can't reset the code. As the price goes up, more capabilities are added, so it may be a case of your scanner not having the feature.

But it could also be case of the way you drive is not doing exactly what is needed to bring the catalyst to ready. Service bulletin NTB98-018g that is included in your link says on page 1 quote - Occasionally, certain portions of the Self Diagnostic test may not be completed as a result of the customer's normal driving pattern. In these cases the SRT will indicate "INCOMPLETE"FOR THESE ITEMS. - end quote

Look around for someone that might have a high end OBD scanner and see what it indicates.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by kevinlara
I have driven drive cycle several time and 250 miles but regular OBD scanner still shows catalyst incomplete.

No DTC codes and car runs like a dream.
This seems to be pretty common.
I am also in California, and my CAT monitor is also "incomplete", and has been like that for quite a while - like 5 or 6 months, at least. I know that to make it complete, I have to take it through the drive cycle defined in the owner's manual, and that I have to follow it to the letter. It will take me ~30 mins, and then it will either fail or pass. It's a PITA, if you ask me.

I replaced my both precats in 2015. I have my bi-annual inspection coming up this November, so my CAt monitors have to complete by then ..... .