5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intermittent transmission failure. P1574 code. Diagnosis?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:21 AM

Intermittent transmission failure. P1574 code. Diagnosis?

2003 Maxima. 122k miles.

While driving about 45-55 miles per hour, after about 10 miles of driving, my tranny seemed to slip out of gear.

I played with the shifter, and it seemed to just very momentarily go back in to 3'rd or drive. Then slipped out again.

The only gear that it seemed to stay in was 1st gear.

I was almost my destination, so I hobbled along in first gear till I got where I was going.

I was at my destination for no longer than 1/2 hour or so, definitely less than an hour.

I got back in the car, fingers crossed, ready to call AAA to get back home.

The car ran fine, and the tranny shifted fine all the way home.

The next day, I took the car around the corner and my mechanic friend scanned the car, using the obd port and a fairly advanced SnapOn scan tool.

The scanner revealed a P1574 code. My mechanic and I put the car in the air and look around the tranny for the two sensors that I thought I might have to replace.

I have attached a picture of the code readout on the scanner.

That was 3 days ago. I have been driving the car since with no problems. I have put it through its paces pretty well, with heavy acceleration and shifting under load. No problems, seems smooth as butter.

So, any insight on this issue would be appreciated.

Anyone else experience these symptoms?

If so, how did you resolve it?
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent transmission failure. P1574 code. Diagnosis?-p1574-code.jpg  
Old 05-25-2017, 01:27 PM

Sorry to hear that another Nissan owner is experiencing an intermittent electrical issue Nissans are so prone to.

I would start by researching electric diagrams from the FSM to see what relays power the solenoids. If there is a one common relay, replace it without regrets.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Sorry to hear that another Nissan owner is experiencing an intermittent electrical issue Nissans are so prone to.

I would start by researching electric diagrams from the FSM to see what relays power the solenoids. If there is a one common relay, replace it without regrets.
Thanks. I appreciate your insight.

I think I am going to start a new thread asking the very question; 'What relays / fuses power the solenoids'

Will do a google search on it as well.

Also, my next post on this thread will be to mention that my car did the same thing today and had to be towed to the repair shop.

I took a video and will include that as well.

By the way; does anyone readying this know what relay, or which relays or fuses power the transmission solenoids?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:43 PM

OP: Maxima exhibited same transmission symptoms. Here is what I am going to do;

After about a 15-20 mile ride today, my maxima started doing the same thing as I describe in my original post. Car was towed home.

After I started from a stop, the car seem to stay in either 1st or 2nd gear. Later, When I moved the shifter out of drive into first, then back to drive, the transmission seemed to come completely out of gear, seemingly into neutral.

I took a video of what the car was doing, I tried to attach the video to this post, but it seems the file size limit is 5MB. So, here is link to the video on YouTube;

According to my research, some possible solutions as listed below in the order in which my research tells me is most likely to resolve my problem;

Can anyone advise on which of the below are most likely to resolve my problem?
Or, naturally if you think that none of the below are a good idea, of if you can suggest a better solution, that wound be great as well.

1. Research the FSM (this means field service manual, correct?) and try to find out which relays power the transmission solenoids and replace them.

This advice was given previously in this thread, and sounds like a reasonable course of action, as well as likely easy and inexpensive.

By the way, can anyone reading this advise on which relays power the transmission solenoids on my transmission / vehicle?

2. Replace both sensors on the transmission;
A. Upper outer sensor - Vehicle Speed Sensor.
B. Lower inner sensor - Turbine Revolution Sensor.

NOTE: #2. was initially going to be #3, but over dinner this evening I spoke with a guy who owns a repair shop. He said that when these sensors go out, some automatic transmissions will go into a 'fail safe' mode. He said that my symptoms sounded like the transmission may be in 'fail safe' mode.

3. Remove the instrument cluster and clean the circuit boards and connectors / connections.

I have found 2-3 threads, by using keyword search P1574 (my error code), which would indicate that #3 above, resolved the same issues that I am having.

4. Remove and replace the transmission control module.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:54 PM

No need to reinvent the wheel. The diagnostic procedure for code P1574 is described in the FSM, starting at page EC-627.
However, doing this diagnosis without Consult-II (the Nissan diagnostic tool) is not easy. I would pay the dealer to do the diagnosis for me (most do it for a nominal fee) and then attempt the repair myself.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphinride
3. Remove the instrument cluster and clean the circuit boards and connectors / connections..
The FSM recommends you check this.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:16 PM

If the problem is that the connections to the instrument cluster need to be cleaned and reconnected, would this mean that some of my gauges would not be functioning correctly?

All gauges are functioning fine, it seems. But someone asked me about this when I explained my symptoms and explained that I wanted to remove, clean, and check connections on the cluster.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:49 PM

If the problem is that the connections to the instrument cluster need to be cleaned and reconnected, would this mean that some of my gauges would not be functioning correctly?

All gauges are functioning fine, it seems. But someone asked me about this when I explained my symptoms and explained that I wanted to remove, clean, and check connections on the cluster.
You do have a point there. But I think a vehicle speed sensor error (P0500) would have caused a malfunction of the gauges. Still I'd go for the cluster.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:19 AM

Took off cluster. Nothing obvious. What should I look for?

I had a guy remove my cluster. We did not see anything obvious. Very minimal corrosion, if any. No bent pins. No jugged or clearly bad connections. We agreed to meet at the vehicle again, and clean all the contacts with electronics cleaner, and reinstall the cluster.

He also wants to use a multi-meter and do a 'diode test' on the the two sensors in the transmission. Then, depending on the test results, replace the sensors.

Couple questions please;

What should I be looking for as far as the cluster or connections to the cluster possibly being the problem?

What is the best product to use to clean the connections / harnesses?

Any other tips about what to do or what to look for now that I have the cluster out?
Old 05-28-2017, 12:00 PM

I had a guy remove my cluster. We did not see anything obvious. Very minimal corrosion, if any. No bent pins. No jugged or clearly bad connections. We agreed to meet at the vehicle again, and clean all the contacts with electronics cleaner, and reinstall the cluster.

He also wants to use a multi-meter and do a 'diode test' on the the two sensors in the transmission. Then, depending on the test results, replace the sensors.

Couple questions please;

What should I be looking for as far as the cluster or connections to the cluster possibly being the problem?

What is the best product to use to clean the connections / harnesses?

Any other tips about what to do or what to look for now that I have the cluster out?
You can get an "electronic parts" cleaner (by CRC) at most auto-part stores.
Re. what to look for: Bent pins and loose connectors are the obvious suspects but I am afraid your problem is not. However, you are right that the display cluster (aka "combination meter" in Nissan talk) is a prime suspect. Since you have it out, I would check it out, thoroughly.

The diagnostic procedure starts on pg. EC-118 of the FSM. In this case, you can get by with just a multi-meter, so you should be able to do it yourself.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:10 PM

One more thing: From your description, it's almost certain that your problem is INTERMITTENT - i.e., that it's a problem that is there on occasion but is absent on other occasions (and perhaps most of the time). This is a PITA - as you can only find/diagnose it when it's present.

Loose connectors, partially broken wires, parts that are in the process of failing, and other misdeeds are the main cause of intermittent problems. So, be aware - you may want to wiggle/pull/play with connectors/sensors during your diagnosis.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:19 PM

Yes, if the combination meter checked fine, these sensors (especially the lower sensor) are the next recommended targets. The two are the same with part number 31935-8E006.
Btw, you're soon likely to have P0720 code if you continue driving, with the SES warning lamp coming on. P1574 is in fact a secondary code that does not light up the SES warning lamp. That's why the issue is intermittent. Soon enough it'll become regular.

Last edited by Costee; 05-28-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:18 PM

both sensors on the transmission;
A. Upper outer sensor - Vehicle Speed Sensor.
B. Lower inner sensor - Turbine Revolution Sensor.
Strictly:
A. Upper inner sensor: Power Train Revolution Sensor (Turbine Revolution Sensor)
B. Lower outer sensor: Revolution Sensor, A/T (Vehicle Speed Sensor).
For some other models the vehicle speed sensor is distinct from the revolution sensor.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:50 PM

OP: FIXED IT!!! Removed cluster, cleaned connections, replaced cluster. FIXED!

I found a few posts here where people removed their instrument cluster, cleaned in, and reinstalled it.

I found a guy to do it, while I watched, for $30.

When we removed the cluster, we did not see a smoking gun at all.

We saw nothing that made us think we had found the problem.

However... over 1000 miles later. The symptoms have 100% stopped.

Certainly appears to have fixed it.

I told a guy who owns a garage about this.

He told me countless, countless new transmissions have been sold because of stuff like this.

Glad this forum is here. Glad to take from it, glad to benefit from it, glad to contribute.

2003 Maxima. 122k miles.

While driving about 45-55 miles per hour, after about 10 miles of driving, my tranny seemed to slip out of gear.

I played with the shifter, and it seemed to just very momentarily go back in to 3'rd or drive. Then slipped out again.

The only gear that it seemed to stay in was 1st gear.

I was almost my destination, so I hobbled along in first gear till I got where I was going.

I was at my destination for no longer than 1/2 hour or so, definitely less than an hour.

I got back in the car, fingers crossed, ready to call AAA to get back home.

The car ran fine, and the tranny shifted fine all the way home.

The next day, I took the car around the corner and my mechanic friend scanned the car, using the obd port and a fairly advanced SnapOn scan tool.

The scanner revealed a P1574 code. My mechanic and I put the car in the air and look around the tranny for the two sensors that I thought I might have to replace.

I have attached a picture of the code readout on the scanner.

That was 3 days ago. I have been driving the car since with no problems. I have put it through its paces pretty well, with heavy acceleration and shifting under load. No problems, seems smooth as butter.

So, any insight on this issue would be appreciated.

Anyone else experience these symptoms?

If so, how did you resolve it?