5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Loud clunking sound after lowering my car

Old 06-22-2017, 04:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Loud clunking sound after lowering my car

So im getting lous clunking sound after i lowered my Max. I only occurs when i let off accleration or brake. But the sound has gotten worse. Checked everything.... everything is tight, no sign of bad wheel bearing, but i did see a ton of grease on the ground this morning. Jacked it up and noticed both cv axles are leaking grease. Could my cv axles be whats causing my clunking sound?
Old 06-22-2017, 05:11 PM

Yes sir. Time for new axles.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So nothing I can do to stop breaking axles besides putting stock Springs back on it...
Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I think I have a bad differential bearing.... Is that something I would have to drop the tranny to get fixed?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:59 AM

Not sure about that, there may be other solutions but your symptoms sound exactly like what I just went through. It started of as a slight click when I first lowered my car getting progressively worse. My boots ripped and I started loosing grease. I'm sure road salt and dirt got in their too over the winter. I recently got new wheels and tires and lowered it about another inch. The car started making a loud clunking under any acceleration. Got them replaced week before last with a 2 year 12k mile warranty including labor. No more clunking.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So yours was just bad cv axles? The sound I hear is coming from the drivers side. I'm gonna change the axles and see what happens. Thanks for the info
Old 06-26-2017, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by TampaNate813
So yours was just bad cv axles? The sound I hear is coming from the drivers side. I'm gonna change the axles and see what happens. Thanks for the info

Yes and no. Its also a result of the axle being too long when the car is slammed. I'm going to raise mine back up to about an inch and a half drop. I'm not sure how other guys get around this issue but no one seems to talk about it.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm thinking the same thing because when I Jack it up and put it in drive it doesn't do the click, or clunk. When I set it back down and drive it.... the noise stops for a few days then comes back. I'm gonna buy new struts in the front, because I know mine are about gone and see if that helps any.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That clunking sound went away after you changed your axles?
Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 PM

How likely are the axles to wear out after lowering it? Is it because the boots rip and the grease leaks out? So in theory I just need to make sure my boots are in good shape...

Because my intake tube and PCV tube are showing signs of dry rotting, so I assume my CV boots are the same thing.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:31 AM

It depends on how low you go mine started making noise again after about a week but I was slammed. Your results may very by brand. I've raised mine up to about a three finger gap and haven't heard anything since. I think the problem is the length of the axle when the angles are changed due to lowering.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:24 PM

I had a clunking noise after replacing the axle.
Could be displaced gas in the shocks or the piston in the shock assembly. Maybe a bind in the spring?
If you searched you would also see replacing the passenger side engine mount might fix the problem.

Search this Thread