5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Please help me ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help me ASAP

I have a 2000 Maxima and when I crank it it runs smooth but when I give it acceleration it knocks... Someone said it could be rod bearings someone said crank bearings and someone said valves may need adjusted... Anyone know
Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 AM

the valves are not adjustable per owners manual and repair manual since they use hydraulic lifters on them. As for the knocking noise, since it wouldn't be a rod bearing, only time you hear it if it idling and pretty loud then your rod bearing is shot. When you are accelerating and hear that knocking sound, how loud was it? sound like you were using a lower grade of gas since the car uses premium should have a minimum octane of 91 or better.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
the valves are not adjustable per owners manual and repair manual since they use hydraulic lifters on them. As for the knocking noise, since it wouldn't be a rod bearing, only time you hear it if it idling and pretty loud then your rod bearing is shot. When you are accelerating and hear that knocking sound, how loud was it? sound like you were using a lower grade of gas since the car uses premium should have a minimum octane of 91 or better.
If you are correct, then really he needs to either replace his knock sensor or run 91+.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:51 AM

The valve lifters on the vq30 and vq35 are solid lifters and not hydraulic. The only way to adjust the valves is actually buy a ton of lifters with different specs or regrind the valves and trim the stems if you want to use your old lifters. Your knocking is most likely the KS and the combination of low grade gas. Also check your coils? DO they have a gray dot? May be you have a misfire?
Old 07-12-2017, 11:45 AM

Is this a kind of knocking you get when accelerating under load and uphill?
Of are you referring to metal striking metal?

If you try premium gas, does it run fine?
Old 07-13-2017, 02:20 AM

CEL codes ???
Old 07-13-2017, 07:08 AM

op hasn't been back to the site since he made the post. probably was rod knock and it gave up the ghost.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by 5thgendriver
op hasn't been back to the site since he made the post. probably was rod knock and it gave up the ghost.
That's what happens when you leak all the oil out of a 3.0. How else are you gonna kill it? .50 cal rifle? Maybe...
Old 07-13-2017, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 5thgendriver
Yup. Guess he doesn't want our help after all. Thread closed.