5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxed out tention pully

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxed out tention pully

Hey, was just wondering Is there a chance the alternator can be adjusted? I recently bought a 2003 nissan maxima last month and went to replace the belt because the engine was squeaking from start till I shut it off. Now that I have changed the belt for an exact one it sqeals louder, and I have the tention pull maxed out but the belt is still loose. I've think the last person to replace the alternator placed it to close, I don't want to pay someone to it when I can do it myself or do the full disassembly if i can adjust it with one bolt. Btw I that car was listed for $500 barely any rust and prblems, and I swapped good parts off my 02 maxima to fix the minor problems it came with.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:11 PM

As far as I know, you cannot mis-position the alternator. So that leaves the belt - it is too big. The belt is supposed to be 43.5 inches (1100 mm).

You are loosening the idler pulley itself before you turn the adjusting screw, right?
Old 07-12-2017, 10:37 PM

The alternator only goes on one way.

Make sure you're operating the tensioner the right way.

Make sure you have the right belt. If you matched it with the last one it may be wrong. Get one for the 02/03. I think the belt for the 00/01 is different.

Make sure the squealing isn't coming from the alternator or one of the pulleys. A mechanics stethoscope is cheap and can help find noises.
https://www.harborfreight.com/mechan...ope-63296.html
Old 07-13-2017, 07:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ya, when i took the belt of my 03 it was to big so I got one for the exact year, but it seems like the belt is 1-2 milmeters small. I loosened both the 14mm bolts and tighten them. It seems like the belt may be to big so I'm gonna try for a slightly smaller one now that you said that the alternator can't be in the wrong position. The belt sags enough to brush against the block so I don't feel good knowing that. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:26 AM

Are you bypassing the a/c compressor? Many people have a problem getting the correct length belt for that.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:01 PM

This is stretch but someone may have put an underdrive crank pulley on it. That would require a smaller belt and the last person to put a belt on it may not have known.

Can you take a pic of the crank pulley?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just made a video
. So I went to Canadian tire to exchange for a smaller one, and it was half an inch to small. So I when back today, and they are saying the first belt has to be right because they get their belts from the dealer. So asking them whats the size of the belt is, and estimate the size difference is not an option so they just keep getting the wrong one. Oh btw this is before i took the first belt i bought back never thought it was important to show the one that didn't fit. thanks for the help.

Last edited by Icykilla1; 07-16-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:21 AM

That's really strange. Are you sure the tensioner is reaching it's full travel? There could be a damaged section of threads on the rod or something else. I would pull the tendioner and run it through it's full travel.

Only other thing I can think of is someone swapped one of the pulleys with the wrong one. Maybe a rebuilt alternator or AC compressor got the wrong pulley when it was built. Are either of those new looking?
Old 07-16-2017, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Icykilla1
I just made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRzOCphVQkk . So I went to Canadian tire to exchange for a smaller one... and they are saying the first belt has to be right because they get their belts from the dealer.
With all due respects, I don't believe that they get their belts from the dealer. Did the little cardboard holder piece say Nissan on it? And did they ever measure the belt or offer to?

Is there another parts store near you other than Canadian tire? I think you ought to try them.

There are a lot of 3rd party belt manufacturers and many of them print the size of the belt on the cardboard holder. There is a standard for expressing the size. For example, the belt the Maxima should use is 6PK1100. The 6 means how many ribs are in the belt and the 1100 is the length in mm. I forget what the PK stands for. Other sizes include 6PK0900, 6PK0920, 6PK0960

Old 07-16-2017, 03:15 PM

get a piece of string and measure then ask for that size belt.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey, I really appreciate the help I honestly never knew that about belts must have skipped that class that day. I assume it might be a 6pk0950 I know theres a part source some where around. I'm starting to assume the alternator has the wrong pulley. when I get my car situated I'm gonna get one of those high amp ones or a Nissan quest alternator. I'll keep you guys posted on Wednesday I'm off work.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:19 PM

I can assure you that the belt size necessary to run stock without compressor is on the site and it can be a bit confusing to find. A Napa belt worked on mine while I tried to debug a noise that I thought was compressor but actually was alternator.

The belt suggested and worked is what you want is napa NBH 25-060355. This worked in my 2000 3.0engine.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, sorry for the wait It took me been real busy.It took me four trips, and plenty of bus fair but I finally got the belt on with aboslutly no squeaking, the car runs super quite. Thanks for all you help, it turns out the belt size I needed was a 6pk1085. I learned that you can't always take someones word for things when you see, and know with your own two eyes something is wrong. shout outs to @DennisMik he knows his stuff.