Steering Wheels Shakes at Highway Speeds - Maxima Forums



5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Steering Wheels Shakes at Highway Speeds

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 251
Steering Wheels Shakes at Highway Speeds

Yes, I have read all the threads regarding this. They say to get the tires balanced, check the rotors, tie rods, etc. However, those threads pertained to a vibration in the steering wheel. At highway speeds (55-75 and above that it only vibrates a little), my steering wheel will shake, almost violently, to where you can feel it in the entire car: sitting down, in the gas pedal, etc.

When I went on my road trip a couple of days ago and I hit the brakes, the wheel shook more violently, leading me to believe it's warped rotors. But would that alone cause such a heavy and drastic shake at highway speeds?

New tie rods are the cheapest thing to try at the moment. Should I buy the cheapest rotors and see if it fixes it?
SubwayVQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Right Coast
Posts: 600
Could be many things. Bad LCA bushings can vibrate when driving and braking. On our cars, the bushings fail due to a leaking HPPS hose. Jack the car up and thoroughly check the suspension & axles.

Failing tires with separated belts & bent rims can also cause a shimmy.

Last edited by mclasser; 07-16-2017 at 07:21 PM.
mclasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Could be many things. Bad LCA bushings can vibrate when driving and braking. On our cars, the bushings fail due to a leaking HPPS hose. Jack the car up and thoroughly check the suspension & axles.

Failing tires with separated belts & bent rims can also cause a shimmy.
With the different possibilities, what would you recommend be the first step? I have already jacked the car up and checked suspension components and nothing seems out of the ordinary except for 1 loose tie rod. After I replace that, then move onto what?
SubwayVQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,139
1st step would be outer tie rod ends. That's the most likely culprit from what you're describing. They can cause a lot of vibration, especially when breaking. More than you'd expect from warped rotors.

Bad LCA will usually give a nice clunk when coming to a stop, starting up or shifting weight.

You'll need an alignment afterwords.
Derrick2k2SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:01 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbia SC
Posts: 1,934
I get this vibration at 55 to 60 and sometimes its so bad the entire car shakes, just did lower control arm, outer and inner tie rod ends on both sides, new hub and cv joint ect. Didnt get it aligned yet but im sure that a bad alignment wont cause this vibration. At higher speeds of 70 and up the vibration is gone.
maxinout93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:55 AM   #6
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE View Post
1st step would be outer tie rod ends. That's the most likely culprit from what you're describing. They can cause a lot of vibration, especially when breaking. More than you'd expect from warped rotors.

Bad LCA will usually give a nice clunk when coming to a stop, starting up or shifting weight.

You'll need an alignment afterwords.
Not getting any clunks from the suspension, so I think my LCA bushings are ok. I'll buy some high quality outter tie rods to start with and see how it goes from there. I'm really hoping this is the only thing causing my issue.
SubwayVQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinout93 View Post
I get this vibration at 55 to 60 and sometimes its so bad the entire car shakes, just did lower control arm, outer and inner tie rod ends on both sides, new hub and cv joint ect. Didnt get it aligned yet but im sure that a bad alignment wont cause this vibration. At higher speeds of 70 and up the vibration is gone.
Yeah once I get going at like 80+ there is little shaking, only a slight vibration. Too bad I don't drive at that speed and wouldn't have an issue
SubwayVQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:53 AM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinout93 View Post
I get this vibration at 55 to 60 and sometimes its so bad the entire car shakes, just did lower control arm, outer and inner tie rod ends on both sides, new hub and cv joint ect. Didnt get it aligned yet but im sure that a bad alignment wont cause this vibration. At higher speeds of 70 and up the vibration is gone.
That sounds like a tire out of balance.
Derrick2k2SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Right Coast
Posts: 600
You didn't mention the loose tie rod in the OP. Yeah, take care of that first.
mclasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 251
My bad, I will get that switched out. The other side has already been replaced, but I'll just buy 2 new ones so they are the same.
SubwayVQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #11
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayVQ View Post
My bad, I will get that switched out. The other side has already been replaced, but I'll just buy 2 new ones so they are the same.
You don't have to get two. If one is good keep it.
Derrick2k2SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE View Post
You don't have to get two. If one is good keep it.
OCD won't let that happen hahaha
SubwayVQ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46 PM.