5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I promise you I did my research... won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I promise you I did my research... won't start.

I have an 02 I 35 with 160k on it. I have spent a lot of time under the hood and on this forum looking to fix the dreaded "No crank" problem without bothering anyone with such a noob question but I need some help y'all. A few months ago I was hit with the problem and the first thing I did was take the starter out to get it tested... starter passed. Then I replaced the relay. Perfect start up with no problems for about 3 months and then it slowly go back to the point where it only starts once out of maybe 20 try's. I immediately started to think it was another common problem I found on here like the ignition switch but decided to buy another relay to "buy my some time". Put it in and it started right up..... about 3 times and back to the same thing. Today I'm getting ready to test the starter again and pick up the ignition switch. I have often seen that it is usually one of these three common problems but is there any simple way to actually narrow this thing down? (Multimeter, voltage light, horse urine?.....)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:18 AM

You need to download the FSM and trace electric diagrams to see what powers what, then trace 12V and ground to see where the connection is becoming cold. No other way to troubleshoot this.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Administrator

FSM is free. Download it from my signature.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
FSM is free. Download it from my signature.
Thank you very much.