5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 nissan maxima sunroof issue tried reset; (

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 nissan maxima sunroof issue tried reset; (

I've had my 2000 nissan maxima now for about 4 months. When I got it the sunroof worked just fine. After a few weeks it all the sudden just stopped working. No noise, nothing. Then one day I was like I'll just try and sure enough it worked.. for about 2 weeks. Now it's out again and hasn't worked for about three weeks. I have tried the reset, disconnected battery and pumped brakes. I don't think it's the motor for when it did run it worked great and I can't hear anything at all when I press button. D I have a short, or a blown fuse perhaps? Help I don't have A/c so I need my sunroof!!!
Old 09-01-2017, 10:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2002 Maxima and even when it was still under warranty I had intermittent problems with the sunroof opening when I operated the switch. Sometimes I would have to move the switch to a "sweet spot" before it would begin to operate. I never took it to the dealer because it was an intermittent problem and I forgot about it soon after I got it working again. Now the sunroof seems even more finicky—even opening by itself sometimes—which leads me to believe it's the switch.

Try to set the switch to one of the middle settings, paying attention to set the switch exactly to where you feel the "divisions" are in the switch. You might also be able to try using the tilt switch to open the sunroof. But I'd be wary since you definitely don't want to have the sunroof open and unable to be closed.

If I recall correctly, I believe I read somewhere in the forums that the fuse to the sunroof is under the hood in the fuse box on the driver's side by the battery. But apparently the fuse also controls the power windows too, so if the windows are working then the fuse isn't the problem.

Eventually, I may try to pry open the switch cover and see if I can clean it with alcohol or see if the contacts are corroded. If I see anything promising, I'll repost to this thread.

Good luck with the sunroof. Hope you find a solution.

Last edited by PhillyOck; 09-01-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Today my sunroof perfomed an uncommanded open. It happened when I was at a full stop and I punched the accelerator. The force apparently made the sunroof open to the first position. Hopefully this post will help others troubleshoot similar situations.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by PhillyOck
Today my sunroof perfomed an uncommanded open. It happened when I was at a full stop and I punched the accelerator. The force apparently made the sunroof open to the first position. Hopefully this post will help others troubleshoot similar situations.
Mine does the same thing, mainly on hot days. Because of it, I have a parking ritual each night: press the moonroof close button in case the damn thing randomly opened up.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 AM

These cars are odd indeed. Mine too has opened on its own and is an intermittent queen.
Also I have to press really hard for the passenger window to operate.
So I suppose switches arent making contact or are just faulty overall. I would have to check the contacts and wiring.
A fuse wouldnt be the problem unless corroded or blown.
And if so then you have a whole other issue on hand.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:17 AM

i have had random opens from time to time as well, yesterday to name one.

on high way. using the controls open full and close full works fine though to close it up