5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Front Strut Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front Strut Replacement

I've got an '01 Maxima in need of some new front struts. It's got 140k on it, and I'm a student hoping I can make this baby run for a while more yet. I just commute on it, I drive it pretty normal/easy.

That being said, I'd like recommendations on the age-old desire for a cheapish part that will be reliable. I'm also going with the strut+spring assembly for a little easier time replacing them.

Currently skimming RockAuto gives me these options:

Ultra-Power ~$70
FCS ~$82
OSC ~$88
Monroe Econo-Matic ~$99
Monroe Quick-Strut ~$140
Gabriel Ultra-ReadyMount ~$142

Any particularly impressive or particularly terrible options here? Worth sinking a little extra money into it or could I look more on the low end?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:08 AM

They're all terrible.

That said, and given the fact that you're on a budget, I believe your purposes are best served by either the Quick strut or the Gabriel.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay, well I'm not attached to Rock Auto. Are there other brands you'd suggest that are reliable but not too high end?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:01 AM

No, you start to get into premium stuff like KYB and Tokico after that, and nothing preassembled so I think you're best with the Gabriel or Munroe.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:07 AM

Another option would be to buy the strut and have a shop install it in your assembly.
If a shop has a proper spring compressor they can do it in a few minutes. You may be surprised if you call around to some shops and offer to bring the assemblies to them.
It'll most likely be cheaper than buying the whole assembly and less of a pain than borrowing a compressor and doing it yourself.

Call tire, alignment and underbody shops. They do a lot of suspension work.

You might also mention that you'll be bringing the car in to them for the alignment afterward.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 08-17-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:59 PM

From personal experience I wouldn't recommend Monroe.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by ncwoz
I've got an '01 Maxima in need of some new front struts. It's got 140k on it, and I'm a student hoping I can make this baby run for a while more yet. I just commute on it, I drive it pretty normal/easy.

That being said, I'd like recommendations on the age-old desire for a cheapish part that will be reliable. I'm also going with the strut+spring assembly for a little easier time replacing them.

Currently skimming RockAuto gives me these options:

Ultra-Power ~$70
FCS ~$82
OSC ~$88
Monroe Econo-Matic ~$99
Monroe Quick-Strut ~$140
Gabriel Ultra-ReadyMount ~$142

Any particularly impressive or particularly terrible options here? Worth sinking a little extra money into it or could I look more on the low end?

Thanks for the help in advance!
I have a pair of front struts FS.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:19 PM

Can you wait a couple weeks? (until September)

Because Monroe and Gabriel will have their annual rebate buy 3 get 1 free after rebate. This will make the premium Monroe and Gabriel products priced similar to the cheaper Chinese units.

The cheap struts like FCS and OSC rarely make it more than 10k. The Econo-matic usually won't last 30k.

The premium Monroe quick strut and Gabriel Ultra readymount are good for at least 50k
Old 08-17-2017, 08:12 PM

ncwoz,
I installed KYB GR2 Shocks and Struts @ 72k miles myself back in 2011 and I am very happy with them. Be very careful if you do this at home with a spring compressor. This job can be very dangerous. I used the Hanes manual and shift_ice overview on this topic for the 5th Gen which I found on this forum. Good luck.

Link to the shift_ice overview:
http://www.shiftice.com/spring_strut_decision.html
Old 08-17-2017, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Another option would be to buy the strut and have a shop install it in your assembly.
If a shop has a proper spring compressor they can do it in a few minutes. You may be surprised if you call around to some shops and offer to bring the assemblies to them.
It'll most likely be cheaper than buying the whole assembly and less of a pain than borrowing a compressor and doing it yourself.

Call tire, alignment and underbody shops. They do a lot of suspension work.

You might also mention that you'll be bringing the car in to them for the alignment afterward.
The above is the best option, IMHO.
Forget Monroe/other, they are not worth the money. Go with the KYB. It's a quality strut (OEM quality indeed, I have them), and at $82/strut the cost is very reasonable (see here: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....374533&jsn=448 ).

You can buy a spring compressor from Harbor Freight for a few dollars, and do it yourself, or find a shop as Derrick suggested. There is a HOWTO on this forum, but you need to search. Also, the FSM (link in my signature) has instructions.

No matter what approach and which part you choose, you'll need an alignment. An alignment runs about $80 where I live.
Good luck!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 AM

KYB and nothing but KYB. Buy one, find a shop with a spring compressor and have them install. The minivans and SUVs are tough to DIY on the front side.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
The above is the best option, IMHO.
Forget Monroe/other, they are not worth the money. Go with the KYB. It's a quality strut (OEM quality indeed, I have them), and at $82/strut the cost is very reasonable (see here: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....374533&jsn=448 ).

You can buy a spring compressor from Harbor Freight for a few dollars, and do it yourself, or find a shop as Derrick suggested. There is a HOWTO on this forum, but you need to search. Also, the FSM (link in my signature) has instructions.

No matter what approach and which part you choose, you'll need an alignment. An alignment runs about $80 where I live.
Good luck!
That's a great price on the KYBs. That's probably the best balance of price VS quality.

Another thing I forgot before. You should be able swap the rears without a compressor. There's not much tension on them and they'll be loose before you wind the nut off.

The cheap spring compressors work but they're slow and really a pain to use. Especially the first few times. A shop with a proper compressor can do it in a few minutes with little effort. I have a cheap compressor and I've used it several times over the years. If I had to do it again now I'd take the assemblies to a shop. As long as I could find one that could do it cheap while I wait.