5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Auto Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:11 PM

Auto Shifting Issue

Alright Org, I'm now back with yet another fun issue.

Current Issue:

Noticed on Tuesday while on the highway, it felt like i was in 3rd gear... you know that high rev and very sensitive throttle feel? (Not sure how else to deacribe it) Once off highway, seemed fine.

Today, same conditions on highway. Only this time got to the end of highway, which is a stop light. After stopping at that light... wouldnt shift out of first. Had to emergency across two lanes and pull over.

I let it cool down and did see some smoke coming from engine bay. After about 15 mins, i started her up and drove local roads home without issue. My commute is about an hour and fifteen mins each way. I would also note that its been over 90° when im driving home. Not sure that would be 100% relevant.

I was browsing old threads... could it be shift solenoids or something else? A Revolution sensor malfunction? As always, everyone's expertise is very appreciated.

Recent fixes:
Replaced Alternator
Replaced Radiator motor
Replaced High pressure PS Hose (to the pump)

Last edited by alanfury75; 08-17-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Gonna bump my thread here.

Symptoms described above started happening on a regular basis. Also got the P0720 and P1574 codes on two occasions.

Read up and decided to buy the speed sensor ($66 Rock Auto of course). Just installed today and will see how it performs tomorrow on my ****ty commute into work.

On another note, i guess its just the collective age/mileage of our 5th Gens, but there has been a rash of high pressure steering hose and speed sensor/shifting issues cropping up.