5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just when you fix one thing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 PM

Just when you fix one thing...

SOMETHING ELSE BREAKS!

Replaced my high pressure power steering hose last night. Job wasn't too bad except for getting the sensor off the old hose and getting 24mm banjo bolt back in place...I filled it with fluid took it for a test drive and everything was perfect(or so I thought).

Drove to work this morning, only a 5 mile commute. I back into my parking space, shut the car off, and a cloud of white smoke came from under the hood! When I opened it up I was greeted with a smell of antifreeze and a wet engine bay. I was able to spot the crack in my rad fairly quickly. Being that it's the original radiator it was probably ready to go and me leaning over it into the engine bay last night probably put the final touch to it. At least they are fairly cheap for $70

Moral of the story? Maybe i need to loose some weight so my belly doesn't wreck things

Here is a pic from siphoning the PS fluid...

Old 09-13-2017, 06:00 PM

Just replaced my HPPS hose about month ago. Replaced my radiator about two years ago, though I believe mine cracked when I drove through downtown Philly pothole.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:01 PM

A Ford focus would help you in any of your weight loss adventures, but I don't recommend that route.

For now, may I suggest the otc pump for things like power steering fluid, or any other similar needs. I really like it. I used to do the hose thing like your picture, but not any more. Way, way, way, way easier and faster.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-2357-Brass-Transfer-Pump/dp/B00EVPM0LC
Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
A Ford focus would help you in any of your weight loss adventures, but I don't recommend that route.

For now, may I suggest the otc pump for things like power steering fluid, or any other similar needs. I really like it. I used to do the hose thing like your picture, but not any more. Way, way, way, way easier and faster.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-2357-Bras.../dp/B00EVPM0LC
Thanks for the tip! I was extremely careful not to suck down any PS fluid...
Old 09-14-2017, 07:18 AM

Good that you can do the work yourself, the 4th and 5th gen Maxima radiators are basically nothing but plastic but they're easy to replace. Just hope that your radiator support isn't rusted out, good luck.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
Good that you can do the work yourself, the 4th and 5th gen Maxima radiators are basically nothing but plastic but they're easy to replace. Just hope that your radiator support isn't rusted out, good luck.
The core support has been repaired, the mounts for the rad itself look a little shady, hopefully I can save them.