5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Trouble starting / Need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 08:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Trouble starting / Need HELP

Hello,

I have a 2003 Maxima GLE 163xxx miles. I have had luck on this forum in the past with some issues and now I have another issue and would greatly appreciate some input.

Recently my car is having issues starting when the engine is hot. It attempts to start but usually no success. I have to wait about a minute between attempts and usually starts on 2nd or 3rd attempt. I do regular maintenance as far as oil and filter go. Had a major tune-up semi recently - 125xxx miles.

I have a Hanes manual and on the troubleshooting page it lists the following as possible fixes:

Air filter clogged - seems okay.
Fuel not reaching the injection system - haven't checked.
Corroded battery - seems okay.
faulty coolent temp sensor or air intake temp sensor - haven't checked.

The CEL light comes on when this happens and gives me the code P0345 - Camshaft position sensor A circuit (Bank 2). Recently the TCS and another light came on in addition to the CEL.

The freeze frame date is as follows (if relevant):
Fuel Sys 1 - 0L
Fuel Sys 2 - 0L
Calc Load(%) - 100.00
ECT (F) - 195
STFT B1(%) - 0.00

Any ideas on fixes if this is common? I will try to follow Hanes starting with easiest first, however, if someone knows likely solution I will start there. Let me know if any additional information needed.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Bad *** Newb

Cam sensors are defective. Replace both of them (OEM is best unless you want to keep rebuying to see which work lol).

Personally, I swipe from the junk yards, so I have plenty around. Many have already been replaced and you can tell at the yard, b/c the O rings will be round instead of flattened.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alright. Hanes manual suggests going to shop instead of DIY. Is this fix difficult or time consuming?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 AM

Cam sensors are very easy to swap. I can't imagine anyone taking it to a shop for that unless they don't do anything at all on the car.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alright, I’ll see what I can do. I found a link on youtube with similar sounds:

just want to make sure I am on same page as you guys as OEM sensors are pricey.

Thanks