5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sluggish acceleration/loss of power could it be the catalytic converter??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sluggish acceleration/loss of power could it be the catalytic converter??

So for the past month or so I've noticed that my car hasn't been accelerating how it should or how it used to. btw I have a 2003 maxima 3.5 l v6 automatic transmission. It seems really sluggish and feels like I have to mash the pedal all the way to the floor to get it to start accelerating the way it should. Also when I do accelerate under load is say around 2500 rpm and above I can hear a crackling noise coming from the middle part of the exhaust under the car I'm assuming this is probably a catalytic converter problem or blockage? but if anyone has any other thoughts please let me know Or if you've had a similar problem thanks.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:32 AM

The crackling noise could be a partial backfire.
Is it while your out of gear too?
What about bad ignition coils or plugs?
I doubt a clogged cat if you had that i think it would blow out the manifold gasket yeah? Youd have the smell of exhaust when you open the hood.

Last edited by maximatech12; 11-11-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:24 AM

A plugged cat could cause poor acceleration but it would be at all engine speeds. Usually a plugged cat is accompanied by a rotten egg spell. The cat gets very, very hot when plugged and you might even be able to feel the floor of the car on the inside getting hot underneath the passenger seat.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maximatech12
The crackling noise could be a partial backfire.
Is it while your out of gear too?
What about bad ignition coils or plugs?
I doubt a clogged cat if you had that i think it would blow out the manifold gasket yeah? Youd have the smell of exhaust when you open the hood.
yeah I was thinking it could be that too but I wasn't sure. And no it only does it when I'm accelerating it doesn't do it when the car is idleing or anything like that I've only owned the car for 4 months so I haven t checked the plugs and coils yet but will be now
Old 11-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
A plugged cat could cause poor acceleration but it would be at all engine speeds. Usually a plugged cat is accompanied by a rotten egg spell. The cat gets very, very hot when plugged and you might even be able to feel the floor of the car on the inside getting hot underneath the passenger seat.
I don't have any of these symptoms, there isn't a bad smell or anything like thst its just that crackling noise and the crappy acceleration it seems like my car has no *** to it right now its kinda disheartening lol
Old 11-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Bad *** Newb

You answered your own question when you heard the precat rattle. They're eating the cylinders.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:30 PM

if you have a bad coil it won't throw a code at least my 2000 did not.
fuel will cook your cats quick get them red hot making them fall apart.
stop driving right away and fix whatever is wrong. start by checking the coils

then check the cats.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:33 PM

I had a similar issue with the loss of power when my muffler went out and was rattling. You should inspect the entire exhaust system.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:42 PM

Im currently having the issue of the floor getting super hot near the driverside of the car. Im not sure what it is but im assuming its the cat near the firewall. Ever so often i get a rotten egg smell and acceleration is kinda sluggish at certain speeds.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:22 AM

only way to figure it out get undrr the car and rebuild the exhaust system.
this means get the seals and remove the components and inspect the cats. Then reassemble the system with the right replacement parts.
then you can truly rule it out all together
Old 05-05-2018, 10:46 AM

only way to figure it out get undrr the car and rebuild the exhaust system.
this means get the seals and remove the components and inspect the cats. Then reassemble the system with the right replacement parts.
then you can truly rule it out all together
That is true have a few exhaust leaks down there too.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:10 PM

After removing the catalytic converter, what i do to determine if its plugged up is first inspect it for obvious signs then grab a flashlight and shine it in on side then look through the other side. If you can see any light its probably not clogged.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Heres a link to some literature ive found to be interesting regarding cats
http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm

Last edited by maximatech12; 05-08-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:15 PM

Heres a link to some liturature ive found to be interesting regarding cats
http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm
thanks for that info. I remember when i first replaced that converter, I could see through both sides. Im thinking i may try to remove it if its not too difficult and gut it. although im not getting a code for that converter which was usually a p0420 before i replaced it with a new one, I still feel the floor get very hot under my foot on the driver side. I also pulled the 02 sensor and found yellow particles on the tip which leads me to believe that the honey comb is coming apart.