5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Coolant leak

Hey people. So a few days ago I noticed my car had been leaking coolant from somewhere above the alternator at a fast pace, whether car is on or off. When i try to fill up radiator, the coolant comes out almost as soon as I'm pouring it in. I've had it parked for a few days now without starting and all the coolant from the radiator and the over flow tank have completely drained out. I asked around when it first happened and was informed that it' probably the water pump. To add onto this issue, the coolant leaked so much onto the alternator so now that is bad also. However, I just spoke to a mechanic and he explained to me that since we(5th gen) have an internal water pump it wouldn't be leaking on the exterior like that. Any idea on what my problem possibly could be?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

side note, I just recently replaced the radiator, maybe 3-4 weeks ago if that means anything. All was fine for a week or 2 after replacing before I ran into this issue.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:07 PM

It seems as though you'd be able to see it come out if it leaks that fast.

However, there is a metal coolant pipe that connects above the alternator and you can see it just below the oil dipstick. That gasket may be leaking.

Or, maybe your coolant hose isn't completely on the fitting, as it's also right there by the alternator
Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 PM

pretty sure the weep hole on the pump
leaks out where the coolant drain bolt cave area is.
that mechanic you spoke to is a complete moron that should get some basic education on how engines are put together.

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 11-14-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 PM

i stole this picture from the internet.