5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TransGo Transmission Rebuild Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

TransGo Transmission Rebuild Kit Question

Hi and thanks for the help in advanced,
I have a 03 (sticker on door says this, but I think its considered a 04) maxima which had problems with shifting hard when warmed up in almost all gears. I installed Transgo SK AW55-50 kit to reduce this. It did just that, it shifts great in all gears except every now and then a bump or hard shift between 1-2 gears. I only replaced fluid in pan, not whole system. It was pretty dark, and gonna drive a while before replacing it again. Maybe this will fix it. Any other ideas? I am a weekend warrior mechanic, not professional, so you may have to talk slow
Old 11-16-2017, 09:11 AM

A shift kit is not a permanent fix for a damaged transmission. If it started to slip or shift hard, it’s too late to fix unless you rebuild or replace the transmission. So it may have delayed the shifting issue when you installed the kit, but it probably is getting worse and worse and now it’s starting to really show. If I were you, I would just drive it until it dies, and then either rebuild it or get a used one swapped in.

Last edited by SubwayVQ; 11-17-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

10-4. Hate to just swap it. All these transmissions seem to have the same issue. My luck I would swap it and then it would just do the same thing. Maybe I should just sell the car. Thought this was a perminate fix for the issue.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:02 AM

Don’t sell it. Used trannies are pretty cheap if you look hard enough. Car-part.com is a great site. I’ve had my eyes on a tranny with 89k miles for $175. I plan on getting it eventually.