5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 valve cover/gasket replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:43 PM

2002 valve cover/gasket replacement questions

My 2002 Maxima has 164,000 miles. It has been consuming oil since probably 154,000 miles but I have been told by new/current mechanic that there are no oil leaks and "old Maximas just do that". When I needed emergency alternator replacement out of town last week that mechanic told me I need valve cover replaced because oil around alternator/dipstick. I am calling around for quotes to replace valve cover/gaskets and have some questions. Should I replace front and rear covers/gaskets at same time? Spark plugs? Oil pans? Current mechanic says I don't need to replace valve covers since steel but I think I read that spark plug gaskets are part of the covers. Here is history: 116,500 miles rear valve cover and spark plugs replaced; 123,000 miles upper oil pan replaced; 132,000 rear cam-shaft sensor oil leak sealed; 148,500 miles front valve cover assembly replaced; 153,000 miles advised by former mechanic that rear valve cover needs replaced but when I asked if spark plug tubes had oil (thanks to this forum) suddenly rear valve cover did not need to be replaced. hmmm. I'm looking forward to your advice. Unfortunately current mechanic is NOT very open to input from a woman who researches on the internet. Ha - oh well.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by abby
Should I replace front and rear covers/gaskets at same time? Spark plugs? Oil pans?
front is an easier job, rear is slightly more involved (upper intake manifold needs to be removed to access rear). I'd say do spark plugs while the work is done, they're cheap and it's easy work. oil pans are probably fine, upper pans i don't think are worth the effort to fix, the lower pan are accessible enough to inspect easily, and replace gasket if really needed.

Current mechanic says I don't need to replace valve covers since steel but I think I read that spark plug gaskets are part of the covers.
yes and no. the 02-03 engine (vq35de) does have the spark plug gasket built into the cover, and would normally require the cover be replaced (unless you want to hack up the old cover)- BUT the valve covers are plastic, not steel. the 00-01 engine (vq30dek) has steel covers, where the gaskets can be more easily replaced. So, there is some conflicting information here- if you truly have a 02 it will not have steel covers. Can you verify is your engine the 3.0L or the 3.5L?

Here is history: 116,500 miles rear valve cover and spark plugs replaced; 123,000 miles upper oil pan replaced; 132,000 rear cam-shaft sensor oil leak sealed; 148,500 miles front valve cover assembly replaced; 153,000 miles advised by former mechanic that rear valve cover needs replaced but when I asked if spark plug tubes had oil (thanks to this forum) suddenly rear valve cover did not need to be replaced.
given that the rear cover was replaced around 50k miles ago i would probably leave it alone. the amount of work is greatly increased to access the back, so assuming you're paying someone to do the work it would probably not be worth the added cost. since the recent mechanic noted oil around the dipstick/alternator it sounds isolated to the front (unless he didn't inspect the back, which is also possible).
Old 11-16-2017, 10:55 PM

Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes I have 3.5 engine. Current mechanic said I have steel vc on the phone. Mechanic who replaced Alternator didn't really check the rear vc. Hopefully I can just replace front and it will take care of oil consumption, fingers crossed. I'd love to hit 250,000 miles - I have babied this car since new, it looks fantastic. I appreciate your help!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:01 PM

I haven't had a mechanic look at the car yet and you folks can't see it, but does it make sense that the front valve cover needs replaced again when it was done less than 20,000 miles ago?
Old 11-17-2017, 05:31 AM

On phone current mechanic quoted $700 to replace both vc gaskets and spark plugs, $1100 to include both valve covers. He says the part number for the 2002 valve cover and 2004 are the same =-that's it the same part. Is that right?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:07 AM

I did my valve cover for the price of a gasket. $700 is absurd and a ripoff. Even the rear isn’t too labor intensive. Give it a try yourself, you’ll learn a few things too. YouTube is your best friend.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:15 AM

I appreciate your vote of confidence! II'm 67 year old woman with no experience, tools, or garage so it would be tough. Current mechanic says no oil around rear valve cover, little oil on spark plugs, and the valve cover gasket is not leaking, it's the front valve cover itself. So I'm not getting spark plugs replaced since was done about 50,000 miles ago. Is there anything else I should ask?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:50 AM

I haven't had a mechanic look at the car yet and you folks can't see it, but does it make sense that the front valve cover needs replaced again when it was done less than 20,000 miles ago?
I missed that part about the front being replaced so recently. I'd think it should be in good shape, unless it was installed incorrectly (possibly missing RTV sealant?). Perhaps the oil he noted was residual from when it was previously replaced and just never cleaned up? I'd try to clean everything off and let it go a while to see if the leak continues.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Maybe a second opinion is needed. Take the car to another mechanic and see what he says.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:33 AM

Yikes, thanks Dennis. I already took it in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. He did say that it is definitely burning oil - I didn't ask him how he would know that.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by cornholio
BUT the valve covers are plastic, not steel. the 00-01 engine (vq30dek) has steel covers, where the gaskets can be more easily replaced. So, there is some conflicting information here- if you truly have a 02 it will not have steel covers. Can you verify is your engine the 3.0L or the 3.5L?
Aluminum
Old 11-17-2017, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Aluminum
i was using her terminology, thanks for playing tho
Old 11-18-2017, 05:05 AM

On phone current mechanic quoted $700 to replace both vc gaskets and spark plugs, $1100 to include both valve covers. He says the part number for the 2002 valve cover and 2004 are the same =-that's it the same part. Is that right?
I'd run away from this guy. Those prices are outrageous. That labor is really high. An extra $400 in parts for two valve covers? No way! It looks like he's taking advantage.

Here's a quick search. The most expensive ones aren't even close to that and you don't even need the most expensive ones.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...lve+cover,5772

He's correct that the 2004 VC has replaced the 2002 for replacement parts. It's common for manufacturers to replace older parts with newer ones that fit and are better. It reduces inventory as well as weeds out weak parts like the 02/03 rear VC that was prone to cracking.

Given your situation and skill level, I wouldn't recommend you trying this job at all. If you share your location you might find a reputable member here who would do it for you cheap. It's a bit of work but it's not that complex. If you were near me I'd do it for WAY less than that.

The 02/03 is well known for burning oil through the engine in some cars. In other words, burning oil through the motor instead of leaking it out on the ground. It could also be leaking from the front and rear main seals at your mileage.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:12 AM

I missed that part about the front being replaced so recently. I'd think it should be in good shape, unless it was installed incorrectly (possibly missing RTV sealant?). Perhaps the oil he noted was residual from when it was previously replaced and just never cleaned up? I'd try to clean everything off and let it go a while to see if the leak continues.
^^This as well^^

You might consider a professional detail and pressure washing under the hood. Maybe pay a mechanic to put it on a lift to clean it.

It can be hard to find an oil leak when it's already dirty.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:07 AM

Current mechanic says I don't need to replace valve covers since steel but I think I read that spark plug gaskets are part of the covers.
Abby,
As others here have correctly stated those valve covers are made of plastic. I performed this job several months ago because of a leak around spark plug #3 located in the rear valve cover. I shot a video of the parts and tools required and the removal of the plenum which provides you with access to the rear valve cover. If you look at the links in my video they send you to a guy who did a very detailed replacement of the VC on a Nissan Quest which is similar once you get the plenum off. Good luck. My Maxima is back to normal and no longer losing 3/4 quarts of oil every 200 miles. I am at a little over 105k.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:48 AM

I appreciate your vote of confidence! II'm 67 year old woman with no experience, tools, or garage so it would be tough. Current mechanic says no oil around rear valve cover, little oil on spark plugs, and the valve cover gasket is not leaking, it's the front valve cover itself. So I'm not getting spark plugs replaced since was done about 50,000 miles ago. Is there anything else I should ask?
Id be concerned with the injectors too. As you replace valve covers its really a great time to just go ahead and have them tested for leakage.
Only additional costs are maybe an extra two hours of labor and new o-rings.
Basically the four bolts holding the injector housing down and then just pull it all up.
Not sure if each injector has to be removed idividually but that may be the case.
Then clip all injectors back in turn on ignition then hold injector assembly up and check for leaking.

This is very important! Injectors are supposed to close shutting all fuel out but from years of heat they break down internally allowing fuel to drip when car is off.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Id be concerned with the injectors too. As you replace valve covers its really a great time to just go ahead and have them tested for leakage.
Only additional costs are maybe an extra two hours of labor and new o-rings.
Basically the four bolts holding the injector housing down and then just pull it all up.
Not sure if each injector has to be removed idividually but that may be the case.
Then clip all injectors back in turn on ignition then hold injector assembly up and check for leaking.

This is very important! Injectors are supposed to close shutting all fuel out but from years of heat they break down internally allowing fuel to drip when car is off.
you might be the only person to constantly post about injector failure here, but sure i guess after 15 years anything can fail
Old 11-19-2017, 06:39 AM

you might be the only person to constantly post about injector failure here, but sure i guess after 15 years anything can fail
Make a long story short I recommend trading it in if your not going to DIY this stuff.
Might as well just go for a new Honda or something because your going to wind up funneling thousands of dollars in labor alone!
These mechanics are going to gouge you in labor. I doubt their parts are even genuine for the thousands you pay.
Sorry