5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

automatic transmission wont shift into any gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:38 AM

automatic transmission wont shift into any gear

2002 GLE

Went out to start my car, turned the key clicked one time and everything went dead like the battery was disconnected. went to go check the voltage, 12.8v, and the positive was a bit loose so I tightened it up. went to go start the car, and it started like normal. But then I went to shift into drive, and nothing, wont shift into any gear. The RPMs kind of raise up but very minimal, it free revs in any gear. Did I blow fuse? bad solenoids? No transmission fluid pressure? any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2017, 12:37 PM

I assume you are are stepping on the brake when shifting from P to D (this is required in our cars).
Assuming you do, it is possible that the "shift interlock" mechanism is in some way broken/damaged. There is a cable that prevents you from shifting (P -> D/R) without stepping on the brake at the same time; perhaps it slipped out, or it might be broken. See the FSM, pages AT-270 to AT-279.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:02 PM

Yeah I am pressing the brake, and the shifter moves, but the trans doesn’t shift into any gear headed on where the shifter itself is.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by VQ35maxima=Beast
Yeah I am pressing the brake, and the shifter moves, but the trans doesn’t shift into any gear headed on where the shifter itself is.
Did you check to see if the lever on the tranny is moving?

Worst case if you have to drive is to manually put it in gear if the cable or bracket is broken
Old 11-28-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Did you check to see if the lever on the tranny is moving?

Worst case if you have to drive is to manually put it in gear if the cable or bracket is broken

I didn't check that, but I definitely will. ill let you know what I find.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:20 PM

Also, check your brake/stop light switch.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:22 PM

When I got home, checked the linkage, all moving properly. While the car was in drive I gave it a rev to see if it was still free reving, and it slowly started to creep forward, just like if it were slipping. Waited about 25 minutes and my reverse came back, then 20 more minutes of me trying to get into first, it came back like nothing had happened! Internal seals in the trans going bad? Is there a good additive to use? Or should I try a trans fluid change? Or am I missing something.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by VQ35maxima=Beast
When I got home, checked the linkage, all moving properly. While the car was in drive I gave it a rev to see if it was still free reving, and it slowly started to creep forward, just like if it were slipping. Waited about 25 minutes and my reverse came back, then 20 more minutes of me trying to get into first, it came back like nothing had happened! Internal seals in the trans going bad? Is there a good additive to use? Or should I try a trans fluid change? Or am I missing something.
When is the last time you changed your ATF ?
Old 12-02-2017, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
When is the last time you changed your ATF ?
Maybe the issue is gone beyond that now; the shift solenoid valve assembly in the valve body is probably clogged. However, let's wait for more occurrences.

Last edited by Costee; 12-02-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:24 PM

Trans now seems to be stuck in third gear, no reverse, converter gets locked up harder when in 1 and 2 on the shifter. Its been about 40k since my ATF was changed.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:21 PM

If I were you, I would drop the pan, clean the magnets, then change the ATF three times in a row. (That way, you effectively replace 95% of the fluid). Buy 3 gallons of Valvoline Maxlife, it's good and inexpensive - only $18/gal or so at Walmart).
Old 12-14-2017, 04:35 PM

Got it diagnosed by a trans shop, said it needed a rebuild, it ended up not being third gear but just slipping a higher gear. Found a i35 used trans with 35k miles for $350, and $500 to install, so that is being done currently.