5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ABS light with new sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ABS light with new sensors

Hello fellow 5th gen.

My ABS light came on. I checked the codes and found that 3 of the 4 wheel sensors were not reading. I removed and cleaned each sensor. the tone ring was super clean.

I reset the system and the light was off for about a day and then back with the same codes. I replaced all 4 wheel sensors and cleaned the big connector on the ABS module. I reset the system and the light is still on. Sometimes when it's cold it will be off when I first start out, but then comes back on after a while.

I've checked the wiring under the car to make sure nothing is damaged. All good there. I find it odd that 3 of 4 sensors would go "bad" at the same time.

It's a 2001 AE with 208K miles and runs great. I don't want to pay $150/hour at the local Nissan dealer. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2017, 08:07 AM

When is the last time you fully replaced the brake fluid? Many today never bleed, just squeeze the caliper for new pads. That sends old aerated wet fluid back up into the system. Potentially hampering the ABS module. If you haven't, I would bleed the system fully. Then go skid or slip on gravel/snow/ice somewhere, and then bleed it again. at least get that out of the way regardless, a good thing.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brake fluid is clean. I flush it regularly. The code I'm getting is the wheel sensor, not the actuator.