5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ac bypass...any negative effects with heat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 AM

ac bypass...any negative effects with heat?

hello, my ac compressor pulley is wobbling and I have to make a 500 mile trip this weekend so I am going to bypass it with a short belt until the spring.
Anyone know if bypassing the ac compressor will effect the defroster and/or heater operations?

thanks

duralast
360K6
Attached Thumbnails ac bypass...any negative effects with heat?-20171206_185920.jpg  

Last edited by 5thgendriver; 12-06-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added part number for short belt
Old 12-06-2017, 11:43 AM

I'd say logically no, that shouldn't be an issue. Two separate systems essentially. That would be my guess, not knowing if there's some advanced sensor system that would cause problems.

That said, how do you know exactly how long a belt will work? Seems like a bit of trial and error may be necessary. And will this through some balance off that could cause other problems...it's an interesting concept. Back in the day all you had to do was just cut the individual belt and everything else was fine.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I'd say logically no, that shouldn't be an issue. Two separate systems essentially. That would be my guess, not knowing if there's some advanced sensor system that would cause problems.

That said, how do you know exactly how long a belt will work? Seems like a bit of trial and error may be necessary. And will this through some balance off that could cause other problems...it's an interesting concept. Back in the day all you had to do was just cut the individual belt and everything else was fine.
thanks for the reply.
I found a youtube video that showed a 37" belt being installed to accomplish this. However, the part number and the belt he used was for a 4 rib belt. I crossed referenced the belt and got it in a 6 rib. if it works once installed I will update my post with the part number as I couldn't find any posts on the org with a part number for a short belt.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:17 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by 5thgendriver
thanks for the reply.
I found a youtube video that showed a 37" belt being installed to accomplish this. However, the part number and the belt he used was for a 4 rib belt. I crossed referenced the belt and got it in a 6 rib. if it works once installed I will update my post with the part number as I couldn't find any posts on the org with a part number for a short belt.
All of this has been said and done on the org.

I pulled off my whole system and trashed it. I used the 4 rib belt.

Problem with the org now is everything has to be rediscovered ...because the site is data dumping old posts.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:45 AM

the only issue you will have is that it will take longer to clear a fogged windshield since the AC unit cannot remove moisture from the air.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by TallTom
the only issue you will have is that it will take longer to clear a fogged windshield since the AC unit cannot remove moisture from the air.
yep...this is what I was referring to and I found out today this is correct.
thanks