5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The twins (Glee) and project 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 01:26 PM

The twins (Glee) and project 5 speed

The auto we have grown to call Glee and the fed spec 5 speed. I have big plans for both, compiled a mind boggling amount of research, already accomplished quite a bit, am always willing to help out with cut to the chase advise, and always open to information I'm not aware of. Was glad to see some locals so I decided to pause further research. Just so it's known yes I have vq30 dek 3.0 cars. Did this on purpose for several reasons... Affordability, reliability, and other than the fed spec trans easy to find parts... Not knocking the 3.5 guys but Renault can bite it. I have just ascertained my USB cable for data scan 2 as well and will have it going in a day or so. If they're correct I'll be able to program blank keys, relearn idle, and blah blah. Only have 1 problem with data scan 2 so far. It connects to Glee fine and relearned idle yadda yadda. It won't connect to the 2000 5 speed ecm. Keeps saying failed to connect. The progress bar keeps loading like it's receiving data though. Open to input. Recently been working on Glee. I have installed eBay headers (for cat removal not worried about gains with her), inner, outer tie rods, lower ball joints, complete strut kit all around, lower control arm bushings (pressed myself even with a press it's a nightmare), new hub bearings (spindle was fine but I work in a fab shop and have a press at home), new axles both sides, rebuilding the old ones boots weren't torn (they bear the Nissan stamp too), it received a new alternator as well as a new Nissan battery upon my receiving Glee (family heirloom), new fan assembly, stereo tied into Bose correctly along with the solder repair on the factory sub board, k&n drop in, and I'm sure more to come... The five speed is a victim of accidental threw key away taking trash out but it's ok. Trans needs rebuilt (input shaft bearing), iacv (ecu still good), and it needed a 5th coil pack when I bought it. Having a mechanic acquaintence I work with rebuild the trans for me actually cancelled plans with a well recommended transmision guy my work buddy is that level of mechanic... Want to do straight cut gears with the syncro mesh. Don't know if money and my willing to wait will permit. Made a shift console for my five speed I hope y'all like...

Old 02-03-2018, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Whostheboog
It won't connect to the 2000 5 speed ecm. Keeps saying failed to connect. The progress bar keeps loading like it's receiving data though. Open to input. Recently been working on Glee.
Sounds like a connection issue! What I did when this happened to me was Checked the circuit from the Data link to the ecm then click on the Megaohm slot check the circuits in the ECM.
It should connect!
Or its an Apexi ECM and Data scan wont work with it.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:19 PM

Thank you

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Sounds like a connection issue! What I did when this happened to me was Checked the circuit from the Data link to the ecm then click on the Megaohm slot check the circuits in the ECM.
It should connect!
Or its an Apexi ECM and Data scan wont work with it.
I will look into that got my new multimeter I've been wanting to try. Ecu is stamped Nissan refurbished official. I am sure the car has had iacv and ecu replacement. I've had the ECU out and my old reader worked before I'll check and see if it still does. Here's some pictures of it. When I had the key it ran like a top, got better mileage than Glee (I feel more than the manual auto difference should be), and had the ses light for idle whatever the code was I don't remember. I read about putting a 2001 ECU in it but can't find any replacement for a 5 speed. I only say that because 5 speed specific parts are getting hard to find so I'm trying to hoard them. What am I looking for as far as pin testing?