5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Instrument cluster swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 08:11 AM

2002 Instrument cluster swap

I have a 2002 GLE, and the LCD's have started going out on my odometer. I have found a company that sells clusters, and will download the info off my original and transfer it to the one I am purchasing. My problem, they don't have one for a GLE. My question is, has anyone swapped a cluster from an SE with the white gauge faces to a GLE, and if you have were there any issues like warning lights not working or anything? I was actually wanting to change to the white gauge faces anyways, so I'm hoping there haven't been any issues.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:59 AM

Dude, I get that you want to keep the odometer accurate, but our cars are worth so little! Just buy a cluster from a wreck or off Facebook (lots of partouts). You won't have any issues with GLE vs SE as long as you have the correct transmission type
Old 03-28-2019, 11:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an SE but it has the silver gauge faces... Does anyone know if theres a way to swap the faces only? Or what models to look for if I want white gauge faces? Hell ill even take black, anything but this terrible silver crap.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:23 AM

Yeah, swapping the faces is easy but you have to recalibrate all the needles after which sucks. I like my silver SE cluster
Old 03-28-2019, 05:31 PM

Yah, I found one on eBay. The mileage is actually only about 2k off from what I actually have so I went for it.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:18 AM

It's actually really easy. On the backside of the cluster is a series of philips screws. Just undo those (IIRC 4 each for each), swap into the other cluster. That's how I upgraded my all black faces to the all-silver faces. No need to remove the needles.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:25 AM

To my knowledge it doesn't matter what the mileage is you still have to get it calibrated or the new cluster won't work which most shops will do pretty cheap they just copy the info of your old one but it shouldn't matter from se to gle but I got nervous from buying it online so I just looked up the part number and got another gle cluster
Old 04-06-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wakenbakon
To my knowledge it doesn't matter what the mileage is you still have to get it calibrated or the new cluster won't work
In what way wouldn't it work? I'm quite certain hundreds of swaps have been done, it's plug and play. The only pre-programmed difference between SE and GLE I'm aware of is the tire size. Calibrated how?
Old 04-06-2019, 11:17 PM

1. use the procedure in the fsm and lock/set the needles off their stop position and mark where the needles are pointing somewhere on the outside of the gauge area so you won't see the mark when you put everything back together.
2. pull needles
3. remove face and swap in the face color you like.
4. use procedure in fsm again and lock/set needle off their stop position. FSM calls it diagnostic mode.
5. line up needles to your marks and install needles
6. leave clear cover off and verify that everything is accurate ( the two main thing would be your rpms and speedo ) gas and coolant temp is not perfectly linear so once you get it close to your original marks it should be good. To verify accuracy of rpm and speedo, you can use an obdii scan tool and verify your rpm and mph matches or if you are just worry about speedo, use the gps on your smart phone and go for a drive. if you use the gps feature on your phone, your accuracy will depend on if you are running stock diameter tires. if running stock size tires, your accuracy should be fairly accurate across the whole speed/mph range but if you are running under or over size tires, your accuracy will depend on the specific speed at which you check gps vs speedo data.

for those just swapping out clusters and wanting to maintain correct mileage data, you can pull the needles, the gauge faces, and open up the cluster and get to the circuit board, look for an 8 pin thru the board eeprom 96c56 chip or some variation of that chip and unsolder and swap out that chip. That chip contains the mileage information. As long as you have two correct matching clusters the mileage will be transferred over. Then perform the needle calibration and you can verify your calibration using scan tool or some other means.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fsm instruction for diagnostic mode for 2001, I'm sure 2002 will be similar...when the cluster is in diagnostic mode, all the needles will move off from their stop/off position, if you mark the location before pulling the needles, you can then do what ever you have to the meter/cluster and when you are done, put the cluster back in diag mode and push the needles back using the marks you made prior to pulling the needles
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meter/Gauge Operation and Odo/Trip Meter
Segment Check in Diagnosis Mode

DIAGNOSIS FUNCTION

I Odo/trip meter segment can be checked in diagnosis mode.
I Meters/gauges can be checked in diagnosis mode.
HOW TO ALTERNATE DIAGNOSIS MODE
1. Turn ignition switch to ON and change odo/trip meter to “TRIP A”.
2. Turn ignition switch to OFF.
3. Turn ignition switch to ON when pushing odo/trip meter switch.
4. Release odo/trip meter switch 1 second after ignition switch is turned ON.
5. Push odo/trip meter switch more than three times within 5 seconds.
6. All odo/trip meter segments should be turned on.
NOTE:
If some segments are not turned on, unified meter control unit with odo/trip meter should be replaced.
At this point, the unified control meter is turned to diagnosis mode.
7. Push odo/trip meter switch. Indication of each meter/gauge should be as shown left during pushing odo/trip meter switch
if it is no malfunctioning.
NOTE:
It takes about a few seconds for indication of fuel gauge and water temperature gauge to become stable.

Last edited by fd3rew; 04-07-2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added instruction for putting cluster in diagnostic mode
Old 04-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by freezer
In what way wouldn't it work? I'm quite certain hundreds of swaps have been done, it's plug and play. The only pre-programmed difference between SE and GLE I'm aware of is the tire size. Calibrated how?
I was told it wouldn't work if you just plugged it In. It would read an error msg basically but either way they can just copy your info of the old cluster (which is what I meant by calibrate) what about the tire size tho?