5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 Cowl Seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 04:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 Cowl Seal replacement

I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find a replacement part for the cowl seal. Apparently they don't make them anymore. Engine smell has been coming in and I'm really tired of turning on the recirculating switch. Can anyone recommend a replacement?
Old 12-29-2019, 05:45 PM

There's nothing to seal. When it's not on recirc air will be coming in thru the cowl.

I would recommend repairing whatever is causing the smells.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is the rubber seal that goes between the cowl and the hood when shut. It keeps the engine fumes from coming through the vents below the window. The rubber is smashed down on my car and needs to be replaced. The part has been discontinued. Don't know if there is a part from another year that will fit. So far I can't find any and I'm wondering if I need to make my own from something I buy at Autozone.

Here's a link that shows what I'm looking for:

https://www.realnissanparts.com/oem-...MtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz
Old 12-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by danega
This is the rubber seal that goes between the cowl and the hood when shut. It keeps the engine fumes from coming through the vents below the window. The rubber is smashed down on my car and needs to be replaced. The part has been discontinued. Don't know if there is a part from another year that will fit. So far I can't find any and I'm wondering if I need to make my own from something I buy at Autozone.

Here's a link that shows what I'm looking for:

https://www.realnissanparts.com/oem-...MtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz
What I read: My valve covers are leaking, but I'm not going to fix it. There shouldn't be any fumes unless you delete PCV.
And wouldn't the air be sucked up from underneath instead of blowing down into the cowl? I think you must be burning a lot of oil on the exhaust.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 12-30-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm not getting exhaust in the car. The engine makes fumes while it's running. Without the cowl seal the fumes come up between the cowl and the hood and are sucked into the vents under the windshield. It only smells when the car is stopped an the engine is running. Like at a red light. The valve covers are not leaking. Nothing else is leaking.
The problem is I can't find a replacement part. The piece of rubber that seals the hood and the cowl.
So the question is does anyone know where I can find the correct part? Is there another part that can be used from a different year or model. I don't think I'm the only one that could be having this problem. It's an issue on all cars. Just that other cars have the replacement parts available.
Here's an explanation of what I'm looking for: https://www.steelerubber.com/hood-to-cowl
Old 12-30-2019, 12:37 PM

We understand what you're looking for. Bottom line is if it's discontinued you're gonna have to get creative.

Neither of mine have any smells from the engine bay or exhaust. They're also not leaking anything.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Steve. I think I'll just get a standard seal at Autozone and cut holes to attach clips in the proper location and hope for the best.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:42 PM
Bad *** Newb

You completely contradicted yourself. There are no fumes unless you have a leak.

Put some weatherstripping on top of the seal.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:36 AM

06 looks like it has a similar seal. Only 15 bucks. Worth a shot.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
You completely contradicted yourself. There are no fumes unless you have a leak.

Put some weatherstripping on top of the seal.
Why the attitude? Engines smell when running. That's why they put the cowl seal there in the first place. If they didn't smell then there would be no need for a seal. Open your hood with the car running and stick your face in there and tell me you don't smell something.

Thanks for the weatherstripping suggestion but I think I'll use a seal from another car and make that work.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Theslaking
06 looks like it has a similar seal. Only 15 bucks. Worth a shot.
Worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:32 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by danega
Why the attitude? Engines smell when running. That's why they put the cowl seal there in the first place. If they didn't smell then there would be no need for a seal. Open your hood with the car running and stick your face in there and tell me you don't smell something.

Thanks for the weatherstripping suggestion but I think I'll use a seal from another car and make that work.
No, they do not. JFC, think about what you're saying. An engine is sealed except for intake and exhaust.
Everything volatile in paint, plastic and rubber will evaporate off after enough run time. These cars are far from new.
The only thing exposed at all is auto tranny breather, PS fluid, and coolant overflow, but of course that's not evaporating at any rate detectable.

I can open the hood of any running car without a leak and smell...nothing.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 12-31-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:31 PM

If you're stinkin, you're leakin.