5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 06:17 PM

Transmission

My service department called me today and told me that they replaced a soilinoid (??) or something and drove the car for 20 miles and then the transmission died? They told me that they were going to put a brand new transmission in it. I a pretty happy about that. But my question is that dont they usually just rebuild the tranny and not give you a new one?
Old 02-12-2002, 06:28 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

The "new" trans that the dealer just installed in my car last Thurs. is really a rebuild, but I dont know about ALL of them being rebuilds.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:29 PM

They will more than likely install a rebuild or "remanufactured" tranny under warranty, even though they might tell you its "new". Expensive parts (A/C, alt, etc) are often rebuilds with the same warranty as new.

They would rather replace the tranny and send you down the road, than to waste time trying to figure out the problem is and try to fix it.

don
Old 02-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just had my tranny replaced....yes it is a reman, they all will be. I am so far very pleased with it.

Mark

PS: remember to take it easy for 1000 miles to break in the tranny nicely.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by Maximam
I just had my tranny replaced....yes it is a reman, they all will be. I am so far very pleased with it.

Mark

PS: remember to take it easy for 1000 miles to break in the tranny nicely.
I wont be having my maxima after its fixed,at first i was thinking about getting a new 2k2 six speed, but my dad says that I need to look a different cars, So i went to the Audi dealership to check out the A4's. they are really nice. Much different that the previous models. I got a pretty good deal on a 1.8t for 26k drive out. it arrives in 3 weeks. But I will still be round here on the boards.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:20 PM

How does the warranty on the new (remanufactured) tranny go? Does the 3 yr/36000 mile start over? (probly wishful thinking)
Old 02-12-2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by 00Semaxi
I wont be having my maxima after its fixed,at first i was thinking about getting a new 2k2 six speed, but my dad says that I need to look a different cars, So i went to the Audi dealership to check out the A4's. they are really nice. Much different that the previous models. I got a pretty good deal on a 1.8t for 26k drive out. it arrives in 3 weeks. But I will still be round here on the boards.
What do you plan on doing with your rims?
Old 02-13-2002, 05:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by woosh
How does the warranty on the new (remanufactured) tranny go? Does the 3 yr/36000 mile start over? (probly wishful thinking)
Yes, your going to get a new 3/36 warranty on the new or rebuilt tranny.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by jhans114

What do you plan on doing with your rims?
I dont know what Im going to do with my Rims, the are brand new. Maybe the will fit in the new car? but if they dont they will be for sale.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:51 PM
It's chrome alright...

kind of...

you'll get it if you fight for it. I had to threaten to sue (got a lawyer to write the letter and everything) before they would work on a car in similar situation after a second failure.

So yes, you get a new warranty, but they'll fight you for it.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Yes, your going to get a new 3/36 warranty on the new or rebuilt tranny.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:05 PM

Warranty change

I may be misreading something, or I am misinformed but as far as I understand warranty work, you get the longest of the overlapping warranties (your original and the service warranty). Say you were on the last day of your original warranty and you get the transmission repaired/replaced. The transmission is now only covered until the end of the service warranty (typically 90 days), not another 3 year/36K. Anyone know otherwise?
Old 02-13-2002, 02:17 PM

from a 2k maxima to a 2k2 A4 1.8T...don't you think its kinda going down a level. UNLESS you chip and mod the 1.8T really good , you just made a big mistake because the performence of the maxima is much better stock and espically the new 6sp 2k2 they will rip a stock 1.8T
Old 02-13-2002, 02:54 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Warranty change

I had a transmission replaced on a 93 Eclipse GSX with 59,000 miles. At 70,000 something went wrong and I argued (and won) that I should get another 3/36 on the transmission and they should fix it again.

They didn't agree, but after the letter from a lawyer (always good to have a lawyer friend) they "decided to do the work at the expense of the dealership.... we all know what that means.

Not sure if you can bully Nissan the same way, but I'd have lawyer-friend write the letter in a heartbeat.

Originally posted by ajahearn
I may be misreading something, or I am misinformed but as far as I understand warranty work, you get the longest of the overlapping warranties (your original and the service warranty). Say you were on the last day of your original warranty and you get the transmission repaired/replaced. The transmission is now only covered until the end of the service warranty (typically 90 days), not another 3 year/36K. Anyone know otherwise?
Old 02-13-2002, 03:14 PM

Re: Transmission

What a coincidence!, I went in with the same problem as you did. Had the TCM and solenoid replaced and within 3 days my tranny was totally shot! I just dropped off my car like 2 hours ago and they will put in a remanufactured tranny from Nissan. Hopefully everything works well.

GC

My service department called me today and told me that they replaced a soilinoid (??) or something and drove the car for 20 miles and then the transmission died? They told me that they were going to put a brand new transmission in it. I a pretty happy about that. But my question is that dont they usually just rebuild the tranny and not give you a new one?
Old 02-13-2002, 03:17 PM

If i were you, I'd go with the 3.0 quattro. Much better than the 1.8T.

GC

Old 02-13-2002, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by 2001SE

from a 2k maxima to a 2k2 A4 1.8T...don't you think its kinda going down a level. UNLESS you chip and mod the 1.8T really good , you just made a big mistake because the performence of the maxima is much better stock and espically the new 6sp 2k2 they will rip a stock 1.8T
yeah I plan to do a lot to this car, If the deal still doesnt fall through then I will go wih the 2k2 maxima, but I really like the Audi. I plan for it to look something like this....

http://www.lltek.com/images/riegerte...ront34_p_2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-13-2002, 04:16 PM

Very Nice, I love those Audi fender flares.

GC

yeah I plan to do a lot to this car, If the deal still doesnt fall through then I will go wih the 2k2 maxima, but I really like the Audi. I plan for it to look something like this....

http://www.lltek.com/images/riegerte...ront34_p_2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-13-2002, 09:47 PM

My car is @ 38k and change and the tranny is shot. The local dealer has been completely incompetant and I've mentioned the tranny seeming to slip once before, and then again with the TSB in hand.

Well my schedule has horrid so I haven't been able to get this taken care of earlier in the week when she started her rapid decent to Tranny Hell. Tomorrow I'm nursing her to a much larger dealer with a good reputation, about 45 minutes away.

My plan is, Have someone competant take care of the tranny and Let them know about the other dealer's disregard.

I figure that the circumastances of disregard for reputation, customer and brand being noticed in the region of the dealer doing the work, should prompt some harsh rattling of a dealer certifications.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:02 AM

Smart move taking your car to another dealer. I'd recommend also contacting the BBB after your work is complete and you are completely satisfied.

GC

Originally posted by spaaz14
My car is @ 38k and change and the tranny is shot. The local dealer has been completely incompetant and I've mentioned the tranny seeming to slip once before, and then again with the TSB in hand.

Well my schedule has horrid so I haven't been able to get this taken care of earlier in the week when she started her rapid decent to Tranny Hell. Tomorrow I'm nursing her to a much larger dealer with a good reputation, about 45 minutes away.

My plan is, Have someone competant take care of the tranny and Let them know about the other dealer's disregard.

I figure that the circumastances of disregard for reputation, customer and brand being noticed in the region of the dealer doing the work, should prompt some harsh rattling of a dealer certifications.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:02 AM

Re: Re: Transmission

Originally posted by Cisco
What a coincidence!, I went in with the same problem as you did. Had the TCM and solenoid replaced and within 3 days my tranny was totally shot! I just dropped off my car like 2 hours ago and they will put in a remanufactured tranny from Nissan. Hopefully everything works well.

GC

That was exactly what happened to me!!!

Mark
Old 02-14-2002, 08:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Transmission

How is your tranny coming along now??

GC

Originally posted by Maximam

That was exactly what happened to me!!!

Mark
Old 02-14-2002, 08:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Transmission

Originally posted by Cisco
How is your tranny coming along now??

GC

I have about 1500 miles on it so far and like it. It shifts just a little smoother than the last one which I don't care for. My last tranny was very firm. Just take it easy for the first 1000 miles.

Mark
Old 02-15-2002, 07:35 AM

I finally got my car back, After a week of waiting, but do I have to take it easy on it as if it were a brand new car?