5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y-Pipe in, first impression...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 07:44 PM

Y-Pipe in, first impression...

Hi guys, I had the Cattman SS Y-Pipe and a new SS muffler installed today on a local shop, I'm really surprise the way my car pulls now, on one of the first test run I did this afternoon, I manually shifted my automagic, the rpm climbed so fast, I shifted to second at 6700 rpm cuz I was cought by surprise and I'm positive there was more room left I founded strange to have no sign of the rev limiter though. The car is much louder now, I 'll see if I can support it over time otherwise I may have the original muffler reinstalled.

Cheers

AA
Old 02-25-2002, 11:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Y-Pipe in, first impression...

Originally posted by doublea
Hi guys, I had the Cattman SS Y-Pipe and a new SS muffler installed today on a local shop, I'm really surprise the way my car pulls now, on one of the first test run I did this afternoon, I manually shifted my automagic, the rpm climbed so fast, I shifted to second at 6700 rpm cuz I was cought by surprise and I'm positive there was more room left I founded strange to have no sign of the rev limiter though. The car is much louder now, I 'll see if I can support it over time otherwise I may have the original muffler reinstalled.

Cheers

AA
Did you leave you stock resonator on? If you did then it shouldn't be that loud and be bearable under highway driving..
Old 02-26-2002, 05:18 AM

Re: Re: Y-Pipe in, first impression...

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

Did you leave you stock resonator on? If you did then it shouldn't be that loud and be bearable under highway driving..
Hey PCGuRu2K, I left the stock resonator in, but man the exhaust is really louder now, my wife was quite surprise with the max sound, but I'll wait couple of days and if it's bothering me too much, I'll slap the original muffler back in, until I find a nice muffler but not too loud.

Cheers

AA
Old 02-26-2002, 07:08 AM

yeah when i first got my exhaust it would bother my back with the low tones that came out but now im fine with it
Old 02-26-2002, 07:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe in, first impression...

Hey PCGuRu2K, I left the stock resonator in, but man the exhaust is really louder now, my wife was quite surprise with the max sound, but I'll wait couple of days and if it's bothering me too much, I'll slap the original muffler back in, until I find a nice muffler but not too loud.

Cheers

AA
Hell yeah, now you know what the sound is like on my car. I got the exact same setup as you. But I am working on having a possible 45" resonator installed on a custom Bpipe to drone out the sound. And yes they make 45" resonators. Summit Racing.com

Dixit
Old 02-26-2002, 12:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe in, first impression...

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Hell yeah, now you know what the sound is like on my car. I got the exact same setup as you. But I am working on having a possible 45" resonator installed on a custom Bpipe to drone out the sound. And yes they make 45" resonators. Summit Racing.com

Dixit
Hey BigDogJonx, I drove the car a bit more this morning and it is not that loud, it seems freakin loud from inside but outside just seem acceptable, so far I like it and I guess I'll get use to it.

My collegue at work liked the mufflers very much, I found it to be a bit funky at first but I think it look nice on my Sterling Mist.

P.S: My friend just bought a TL and we agree to race soon and shot everything on a DigiCam.

Cheers

AA
Old 02-26-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe in, first impression...

Hey BigDogJonx, I drove the car a bit more this morning and it is not that loud, it seems freakin loud from inside but outside just seem acceptable, so far I like it and I guess I'll get use to it.

AA
Well I let my brother drive the car, and I was standing outside, he took the car out, I litterally heard the car shifting from over a 1/4mile away.

Dixit
Old 02-26-2002, 04:18 PM

Got the Y?
Now punch that cat.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

We are not all YJs.
Sorry you must be pimp.
You are on your way son
Old 02-26-2002, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

Yo It's Ok