5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

CAI questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 05:00 PM

CAI questions

1.) CAI...are they worth it? As a single engine mod, that is. I ask, because I'm not sure how far I really want to go with the engine mods.

2.) If they ARE worth it as a single mod, which brand is one of the better? PlaceRacing?

3.) Is the installation something that a non-mechanically inclined person like myself can do? (Like I told my friend that said, "Oh do it yourself": I can make 'em go fast, hug the road, make twists and turns look straight, occassionally leave the ground. For everything else, my mechanic gets MasterCard!).

4.) I saw a picture of installation instructions, and the filter was in the fender well. Is this normal? I'm asking because I would be concerned with potential for it to get water logged during rain driving.

Yeah. I'm a definitely a non-mechanical type. But...I like my speed.

Now if only I could fit that 351 Cleveland under the hood of my Maxima.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:31 PM
RBa

Re: CAI questions

1)Depends from the perspective... I thought it was a piece of **** that really didn't do crap except rob me of high/low end power but that's my opinion.

2)Place racing is the only company that makes CAI's.

3)If you have no mechanical experience, I'd recommend you don't atempt to do the install yourself... It was easy for me but also time comsumming as well

4)I haven't had problems with water leaking into it. If this bothers you, you can always spend extra $$$ for the AEM bypass valve
Old 02-27-2002, 06:10 AM

It may help a bit but the CAI VS Stillen HiFlow Intake are not too different. Now, if you are uncomfortable then I wouldn't recommend you try to install it. I have an Idea. Where do you live? Get in touch with a Maxima member in your town and you guys install it togather. **** I'll put it in if you drove down to NC .. After instaling mine in the dark. Trust me, it don't take long at all.

Yes the filter is in the wheelwel. Thats so the filter get suckup clean air from the bottom of the car. and Don't remove the plastic lineing. You will get dirt and sand and a whole buncha stuff on the filter if you did.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: CAI questions

Originally posted by Instingkt
1.) CAI...are they worth it? As a single engine mod, that is. I ask, because I'm not sure how far I really want to go with the engine mods.

2.) If they ARE worth it as a single mod, which brand is one of the better? PlaceRacing?

3.) Is the installation something that a non-mechanically inclined person like myself can do? (Like I told my friend that said, "Oh do it yourself": I can make 'em go fast, hug the road, make twists and turns look straight, occassionally leave the ground. For everything else, my mechanic gets MasterCard!).

4.) I saw a picture of installation instructions, and the filter was in the fender well. Is this normal? I'm asking because I would be concerned with potential for it to get water logged during rain driving.

Yeah. I'm a definitely a non-mechanical type. But...I like my speed.

Now if only I could fit that 351 Cleveland under the hood of my Maxima.

Thanks in advance.
I have the Place Racing CAI, purchased from Cattman, and love it. I could tell an imediate difference in power (especially 3000 RPM and up)-engine really breaths now. But, I would recommend getting it from CustomMaxima.com, now, since it will come w/ the new Monster Flow filter which Dynos higher than the K&N.

I live in MO, and we get plenty of rain-no problems. You just can't drive through standing water deeper than about 2 and 1/2 ft. But, I wouldn't do this in any of my cars.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:14 AM

You sound like a perfect candidate for the Frankencar intake.

1. You don’t have to drill a 3" hole in your fender.

2. You don’t have to worry about rain or snow getting in there.

3. The install is a lot easier.

4. Probably VERY similar power gains. There has been much debate about whether the PR CAI is better than a cone-style intake at all. So far, Frankencar has proven good power gains vs. the competition. ALTHOUGH, we’re STILL waiting on that 2K-2K1 dyno. (HINT! HINT!)

5. It’s cheaper.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:56 AM

I agree with Stickya

Originally posted by Stikya

I have the Place Racing CAI, purchased from Cattman, and love it. I could tell an imediate difference in power (especially 3000 RPM and up)-engine really breaths now. But, I would recommend getting it from CustomMaxima.com, now, since it will come w/ the new Monster Flow filter which Dynos higher than the K&N.

I live in MO, and we get plenty of rain-no problems. You just can't drive through standing water deeper than about 2 and 1/2 ft. But, I wouldn't do this in any of my cars.
I have the Place Racing CAI too I purchased it from APEX Motorsports here in Arizona. I can feel and hear the difference. I am putting on the y-pipe from stillen today. I was told with CAI and y-pipe combo I can expect 20HP gains. But to get the full effect you should get a high flow cat and cat back exhaust ( random tech cat & greddy EVO). The install is about 2 hours and you need a hole saw. Its a ***** especially if u aren't mechanically inclined.

You can get a bipass valve put on if you have a import mechanic that know what they are doing so u don't have to worry about sucking up water or snow. Here in Arizona we don't have that problem
Old 02-27-2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by PIONEER
It may help a bit but the CAI VS Stillen HiFlow Intake are not too different. Now, if you are uncomfortable then I wouldn't recommend you try to install it. I have an Idea. Where do you live? Get in touch with a Maxima member in your town and you guys install it togather. **** I'll put it in if you drove down to NC .. After instaling mine in the dark. Trust me, it don't take long at all.

Yes the filter is in the wheelwel. Thats so the filter get suckup clean air from the bottom of the car. and Don't remove the plastic lineing. You will get dirt and sand and a whole buncha stuff on the filter if you did.
Be careful...I live in southern Virginia. About an hour north of the VA/NC border. I might take you up on the offer if I decide to go with it!!!