5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Auto slipage

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 01:36 PM

Auto slipage

I went to my local Nissan dealership about a concern with my automatic. The transmission "dude" at the place said that a solenoid and TCM replacement wouldn't be necessary. (He said this after driving the car) He gave me some crap that it will be fine come spring/summer because it will be warmer and this and that. I do notice that the car only has trouble on cold days. Is this something thats just goin through my head? Should I wait?
-Dave.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:56 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

well..

did he see the slip? if so, its VERY clear he should do the TSB. The longer you go without it, the shorter the lifetime of your transmission. period.. hot or cold, whether you feel it or not. If it's reproducable, then it *SHOULD* be repaired.

We have a 5/60 powertrain warranty, so if you are close to running out, fight it. After you have a easily reproduced slip, the clock is ticking. I didnt fight it, now that I have the TCM and solenoids, my transmission is freaked. Hot or cold. It doesnt slip, but its not right. Will probably die any day. This too I will wait for. Tired of arguing with the SM. Hard to argue with a car on a flat bed trailer.....
Old 03-06-2002, 09:30 AM

The first time that my dealer checked my car they said that the transmission was 'within spec'. I've talked to SM a couple more times, telling him how disappointed I am. He knows that I know about the TSB. Well, he finally agreed to do the solenoid and TCM. In fact, it will be done on Friday. also going to change over to Mobile1 synthetic ATF. I guess persistence pays off. Don't let them blow you off.

Tim W - sorry about your tranny. Hope mine doesn't do the same. I'm hoping for good results.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ya well after 40k miles of slippage my tranny was shot and replaced under warranty. I even had the solenoid replaced and didn't fix it. The dealership stalled on replacing the TCM so they had to replace the tranny instead.

I love my new tranny and have not had a single problem yet.(knock on wood).

Mark
Old 03-06-2002, 01:14 PM

2k1seae- Let me know how it turns out. I'm planning on going back to the dealership this Saturday. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:27 PM

Re: Auto slipage

Originally posted by Punch84
I went to my local Nissan dealership about a concern with my automatic. The transmission "dude" at the place said that a solenoid and TCM replacement wouldn't be necessary. (He said this after driving the car) He gave me some crap that it will be fine come spring/summer because it will be warmer and this and that. I do notice that the car only has trouble on cold days. Is this something thats just goin through my head? Should I wait?
-Dave.
Your symptoms are the same as the ones I had. When the car was cold, it was slipping for a few blocks and then almost nothing. It was hard, but I finally convinced them to repair it (thanks to this forum, I discovered the TSB about it...

As Tim mentioned, you should NOT wait.... clock is ticking....
Old 03-06-2002, 01:44 PM

2k1seae- Let me know how it turns out. I'm planning on going back to the dealership this Saturday. Thanks.
I will definitely post my impressions of the 'fix'. I'll ask the SM this question, also, but anyone have a feel for how long I should take easy with transmission after the fix? Thanks. BTW I'm at app. 10000 miles.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by 2k1seae

I will definitely post my impressions of the 'fix'. I'll ask the SM this question, also, but anyone have a feel for how long I should take easy with transmission after the fix? Thanks. BTW I'm at app. 10000 miles.
Take it easy for a good 750-1000 miles after the new tranny is in.

Mark
Old 03-07-2002, 12:09 PM

yeah..

yeah, new tranny, take it easy.. but just TCM and/or solenoids are really not a drastic repair.

You might want to take it easy in that the rest of your old transmission will be under more pressure (firmer shifts from TCM and new fluid). But really, if its gonna fail there's no stopping it.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I get so mad hearing this...

My 01 Pathfinder has the same symptoms. I had it in for the third time, second dealer,last week and was, again, advised that there was nothing wrong. I snapped! One of the smart clowns at the service dept was adament, "There is nothing wrong with your trannsmission"! I called Nissan consumer affairs and they agreed to keep the truck for a couple days. The next day the head tech took the truck home and felt the "slip" first hand. I told them of the TSB which they denied knowledge of and set to work trying to find the problem. The next day the service manager called to tell me that a TSB had just been issued (the one I've been reading for months) and that the control module would need replacing (no kidding). They kept it another day only to advise me that the parts were back ordered. It's still not fixed. What is wrong with these stupid service departments!!! Two dealers couldn't figure this out? This problem has been going on for over a year.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:30 PM

while I seriously dislike most nissan dealers...

one call to Nissan will explain the disposition of the service departments. They get jerked around too. Sure they know better, but they also don't want to promise you something (a new tranny) that Nissan wont approve. They are playing stupid for a reason.

some service manager are more willing to fight for you than others on intermittant problems. I drive past 3 dealers (to a forth) over 30 miles away because they actually *try*.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:39 PM

Ok, so I decided to take my car to a independent transmission shop to get a second opinion. (free inspection) This guy hooked some kind of computer up to my fusebox or whatnot and we drove around for a bit. No slippage or anything. He said his little "computer" said that everything was fine. Then, I asked him about the solenoids and TCM and he said that like a check engine light would come on or some kind of light. Mine has never come on. Did anyones lights come on?
Old 03-12-2002, 04:48 PM

No light will come on! Ask the independant shop why there are little metal shavings in your pan if there is no prob. If you get that get a new tranny.

Mark
Old 03-12-2002, 05:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tranny Fixed

I finally got my Pathfinder fixed with a new valve body solenoid and TCM. No light will come on and no code will show up on the shops computer. If your problem is like mine than it usually slips when cold. After talking to Nissan Consumer Affairs the dealer agreed to keep the truck for a couple days. The head tech took it home and felt the problem the next morning on his way in. If your not satisfied than call the number in your warranty book. During this whole fiasco I talked to my local tranny shop about my slippage. The guy stated, "Under no circumstances is a slip during shifts a normal condition". He is the one who told me to call Consumer Affairs. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:23 PM

no way...

no way I would let the SM's drive either of my cars 'for awhile'. Were you here for the story where they used the new 2k max for the parts car???? and spilled a battery, they only hosed it out and tried to pretend nothing was wrong. Car STANK.. carpet ruined. Still acted like they did no wrong.

sorry, not in my max or pf...
Old 03-13-2002, 03:42 AM

Re: well..

Originally posted by TimW
did he see the slip? if so, its VERY clear he should do the TSB. The longer you go without it, the shorter the lifetime of your transmission. period.. hot or cold, whether you feel it or not. If it's reproducable, then it *SHOULD* be repaired.

<snip>

Will probably die any day. This too I will wait for. Tired of arguing with the SM. Hard to argue with a car on a flat bed trailer.....
Hey Tim,
I feel the same way. I'll just drive my '00 Max until the tranny falls out, then bring it in to have the whole blasted thing replaced. I have the 75K bumper-to-bumer extended warranty, so as long as I don't get stranded somewhere, I won't mind. I brought it in once, and the SM told me "the TCM does this so the shift is not so hard." Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself, "OK, so all this heat building up while it takes an eternity at 6500rpms to shift into second gear is good for the tranny." He also had the nerve to tell me that the TSB relates to cars that have a flareup of rpms before shifting, not a delayed shift. I might try another local dealer, and see what they have to say about it.

My car clearly falls into the dates listed on the TSB, since it was originally put into service in December of '99. Was built very early in '99, probably one of the first ones here in the states.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:13 AM

indeed...

find someone else.. he doesnt know what he's talking about. The soleniods will stop the RPM jump (if you've gotten to that point).

2 of the largest dealers acted like they've never seen a bad transmission.. in like years.. could be true, because they sure the hell didnt know what they were doing when they looked at mine. Whereas, a small dealer 30 mins away was right on it. They even confirmed parts were in stock before even seeing the car so I wouldnt have to make two trips. If I had only gone to them last year when I had the delay, my slip may have never started.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:01 AM

I posted my impressions of the 'fix' on Monday. Basically, the dealership did a good job and the car performs better now. I haven't gone WOT yet, but I definitely feel a difference (shifts are firmer). Also, the dealer ordered the parts and called me to make an appointment after the parts were received (the way it should be). Took car in in AM and got it back same PM. SM called me yesterday to make sure I'm satisfied.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:22 AM

yeah..

Mine jerks into 3rd but doesnt slip at 1/2 or more throttle. *tick* *tick* *tick*
Old 03-14-2002, 10:36 AM

Will they give me problems??

I was gonna go to the dealership and have the TSB done on my 2000 SE. I had an appointment but I didn't go because I figured if I brought my car in (lowered, and modified) they will use this as an excuse to void my warranty and make me pay.

Has anyone got this done to their car that has took their car there when it is lowered with exhaust, CAI, and so forth?
Old 03-14-2002, 11:33 AM

you should not wait...

especially if you're modded.

Sure you stand a chance of getting some heat, but 1) it's a TSB. Well known problem. They really cannot blame mods, bone stock maxs have the problem. 2) Longer you wait, the more catastrophic the failure will be. You might have TSB/Soleniods and never have a problem if caught soon enough. Procrastate and you will have to live with the 'jerky' shifting (like I have now) or have a total tranny meltdown (which may not be a bad thing).
Old 03-14-2002, 02:16 PM

Re: Will they give me problems??

Originally posted by Themaxidocius
I was gonna go to the dealership and have the TSB done on my 2000 SE. I had an appointment but I didn't go because I figured if I brought my car in (lowered, and modified) they will use this as an excuse to void my warranty and make me pay.

Has anyone got this done to their car that has took their car there when it is lowered with exhaust, CAI, and so forth?
I don't have exhaust or engine mods, but car is lowered, has FTSB and RSB. In fact the dealer did the mods for me. No problem on TSB. SM was good to work with. In fact he gets lots of comments on my car whenever it goes in for service. Also, he thinks it looks good. He may be just stroking me, but service has been good so far.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:49 PM

Re: Re: Will they give me problems??

I don't have exhaust or engine mods, but car is lowered, has FTSB and RSB. In fact the dealer did the mods for me. No problem on TSB. SM was good to work with. In fact he gets lots of comments on my car whenever it goes in for service. Also, he thinks it looks good. He may be just stroking me, but service has been good so far.

Thanks for info.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:56 PM
TCm

I posted my impressions of the 'fix' on Monday. Basically, the dealership did a good job and the car performs better now. I haven't gone WOT yet, but I definitely feel a difference (shifts are firmer). Also, the dealer ordered the parts and called me to make an appointment after the parts were received (the way it should be). Took car in in AM and got it back same PM. SM called me yesterday to make sure I'm satisfied.

I took my car in today and they said they couldn't find the problem. Of course, today was one of the few days that the ambient temperature outside was around 70-75 (Connecticut). So the car "didn't display any problems." They said the car drove perfectly.

I told him about the TSB and he said they couldn't do any work unless they could find the problem. What a joke!

GET THIS: Then the guy has the cajones to tell me not to worry about it because "if it's a problem with the tranny, it will only get worse not better. And you have a 5/50k warranty on the drive train."

Yeah, that's great, I have a long warranty but that only comes in to play if the thing stops working. What about when it starts shifting gears like this: 1-3-2-3-4-1.

I was getting very frustrated with this guy. I'm leaving the car overnight and he "said" that he would drive it in the morning and try again.

I just don't understand why he wouldn't just FIX it. I asked him if he looked in the A/T cover. He said, "uhh, no." Wouldn't that be a very easy way to tell if there's a problem? Find shavings? There's a problem! Simple!

Sorry for that.

</rant>
Old 03-14-2002, 05:10 PM

well..

the tranny completely dying is really the exception. You will first have MONSTER slip. It will likely be a driveability issue at first.

You should call Nissan. Dont mention a TSB. Just tell them it intermittently slips and you think its a safety issue (merging into traffic). You can really 'grease the wheels' with a call to Nissan. The dealer just doesnt want to get stiffed on the repair.

Also, there are some dealers that were updating every car on their lot... BEFORE customers drove the car home. Some dealers are much more willing to do the work.

Took me a year to get the TCM.. 3-4 visits... lots of arguing. Finally, the dealer 30 miles away said over the phone that they were well aware of the problem and even stocked parts for it. It was worth the drive. no hassle at all. Should have started there.. my car would be happier now.
Old 03-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by TCm

I took my car in today and they said they couldn't find the problem. Of course, today was one of the few days that the ambient temperature outside was around 70-75 (Connecticut). So the car "didn't display any problems." They said the car drove perfectly.

I told him about the TSB and he said they couldn't do any work unless they could find the problem. What a joke!

GET THIS: Then the guy has the cajones to tell me not to worry about it because "if it's a problem with the tranny, it will only get worse not better. And you have a 5/50k warranty on the drive train."

Yeah, that's great, I have a long warranty but that only comes in to play if the thing stops working. What about when it starts shifting gears like this: 1-3-2-3-4-1.

I was getting very frustrated with this guy. I'm leaving the car overnight and he "said" that he would drive it in the morning and try again.

I just don't understand why he wouldn't just FIX it. I asked him if he looked in the A/T cover. He said, "uhh, no." Wouldn't that be a very easy way to tell if there's a problem? Find shavings? There's a problem! Simple!

Sorry for that.

</rant>
Your experience sounds just like a pre-recorded message that Nissan service depts are required to use. Call Nissan Consumer Affairs and report the problem, even if they fix it. The more complaints they get the better.