5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Local Mechanic said need new cat converter. and Nissan wont do anything.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 09:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Local Mechanic said need new cat converter. and Nissan wont do anything.

I got a service engine light about 8 months ago, so i go to the Nisan dealer and they say the car needs service and then they will see why the light goes on.I told the delear the car is getting really poor gas milege (not even 200 miles on a full tank after car has 24k mile son it). After a whole day of waiting they tell me they turned off the light, but wont say that there was anything wrong with car. After 2 months light comes up again , so i go to delear again , and leave the car for about 8 hours. They said the cpu needed to be reset. So i figured the problem was fixed. Then again after 3 months liht came on again. I finally decided to go to my local mechanic. He connected the car to computer and it turns out i need new catalytic converter.

Is it possible that i had a defective catalytic converter? My mechanic said the part is very expensive so i need to go to delear since car is under warranty. But delear again will tell me theres nothing wrong with car. A really f*ck up situation.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:24 PM

Try another dealer?
Old 03-05-2002, 11:40 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

or...

call Nissan directly. Tell them after these many tripped Service lights and the dealer doing nothing but reseting the light, you paid for a diagnotistic out of your own pocket. Tell them that the mechanic quickly found the problem and told you to take it to the dealer.

Tell them you reluctant to waste your time at the dealer if they are not equipped/or willing to test the emissions system. Tell them that from the records, which they will have, that you have a re-occuring problem.

What you may be given is a engineering consult for the car. They will tell you that 'engineering' will speak to the dealer when is brought there. Actually, I don't think it means much. But this tells the dealer that he has alot more lienency to replace the part as Nissan now has direct complaints about it.

Your dealer may not be trying to get out of billing some money for the work, they could be afraid that they will replace the cat, Nissan will get the old cat and say nothing was wrong with it and try to deny the claim - sticking them with the whole thing.

btw, I doubt it's the cat directly.. It's probably an O2 sensor.. pretty common problem. Given enough time that could affect your cat.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:39 AM

Re: or...

Originally posted by TimW
call Nissan directly. Tell them after these many tripped Service lights and the dealer doing nothing but reseting the light, you paid for a diagnotistic out of your own pocket. Tell them that the mechanic quickly found the problem and told you to take it to the dealer.

Tell them you reluctant to waste your time at the dealer if they are not equipped/or willing to test the emissions system. Tell them that from the records, which they will have, that you have a re-occuring problem.

What you may be given is a engineering consult for the car. They will tell you that 'engineering' will speak to the dealer when is brought there. Actually, I don't think it means much. But this tells the dealer that he has alot more lienency to replace the part as Nissan now has direct complaints about it.

Your dealer may not be trying to get out of billing some money for the work, they could be afraid that they will replace the cat, Nissan will get the old cat and say nothing was wrong with it and try to deny the claim - sticking them with the whole thing.

btw, I doubt it's the cat directly.. It's probably an O2 sensor.. pretty common problem. Given enough time that could affect your cat.
But Tim - don't you know, Nissan has nothing to do with warranty work. That is all the responsibility of the dealer.

At least that's what they told me. LOL