5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I no longer own a Maxima........

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 02:33 AM

I no longer own a Maxima........

If this isnt a testament to God's grace and to the ability of seat belts to save lives, I dont know what is....

So, its Tuesday night and three other friends and I are taking a road trip through some back roads around the country. At about 9:30ish, we decide to turn around and head home because we have no idea where we are. Finally we come to a turn in the road where I thought we had taken our second turn, but I passed it up not thinking it was the road we needed. Turns out it was, so at the next oppurtunity, which ended up being about a mile out of the way, we did a u-turn and headed back.
I came up to a sharp curve that I didnt at first realize was there. As I slowed, something (a deer maybe) shot across the road and scared the hell out of me. I kicked the wheel hard left (in the direction of the curve in the road) and my back wheels caught the side of the road. By the time I realized that much and tried to correct it, it was too late and I had lost control.
Ive been up all night reliving the screams and the noise and thinking of how things could have been different either better or worse. All I remember is veering sideways and seeing the ground come up at my window as the car turned over. Thank God we were all wearing our seat belts. Glass was shattering everywhere, and we somehow ended up on top of a hill with all four tires on the ground.
Of course we were freaking out after it happened. We all had glass in our hair, and I had it in my mouth. I had assumed that the glass made it there when I was screaming, but I dont remember making the sound. After some frantic checks to see if everyone was okay, we tried to get help, which came in a passing motorist who called 911.

All in all I had three pieces of glass removed from my hand and one of my friends had a knot on her head that was deemed non-life threatening. We were amazingly lucky, theres no doubt about it. I know it helps to talk about it, so thats why im posting the story here for discussion. I still feel really guilty because I was the dirver, but thankful that everyone is alive and okay.

And when I think about it, all ive ever done is compalin about little things on that car; the paint, the lights, the brakes, the transmission.....but I have no doubt that my Maxima saved our lives by being well built and solid. Think about it for a minute. I will be for the rest of my life.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:53 AM
Administrator

its nice to know you are ok
Old 03-06-2002, 04:18 AM

Re: I no longer own a Maxima........

Wow! I'm glad everyone is okay.

I've been in several accidents(fortunately not with my current Max) and can specifically remember the one where the airbag exploded in my face. I now hate those things for the fear that it sent throught my mind. It completed blided me and I was lost as to where I was. I actually thought I was going through the windshield and was seeing the gray sky instead of it actually being the airbag.

Again, thankfully everyone that was in your car is fine. I know I now drive slower and more cautiously because of my previous mishaps. Hopefully, you won't encounter an experience like this again.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:22 AM

<re>compalin about little things on that car; the paint, the lights, the brakes, the transmission

You are so correct. We often miss the whole picture. Glad to hear everyone is ok.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:24 AM

Hope your feelin cool man. Don't be discuriged, and I hope this didn't leave a negative impact on you. Feel better and fear nothing.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:38 AM

Re: Re: I no longer own a Maxima........

Originally posted by dougb

I've been in several accidents(fortunately not with my current Max) and can specifically remember the one where the airbag exploded in my face. I now hate those things for the fear that it sent throught my mind. It completed blided me and I was lost as to where I was. I actually thought I was going through the windshield and was seeing the gray sky instead of it actually being the airbag.

Again, thankfully everyone that was in your car is fine. I know I now drive slower and more cautiously because of my previous mishaps. Hopefully, you won't encounter an experience like this again.
i had the same experience dougb. Maxima-ness, i know what you mean about feeling guilty, i wrecked my accord in october with my girl in there with me, and to this day i still feel guilty, she's ok though, but to see her in pain killed me. It will all turn out ok. Glad to hear everyones ok
Old 03-06-2002, 06:03 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: I no longer own a Maxima........

Glad you're okay!

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness
And when I think about it, all ive ever done is compalin about little things on that car; the paint, the lights, the brakes, the transmission.....but I have no doubt that my Maxima saved our lives by being well built and solid. Think about it for a minute. I will be for the rest of my life.
Yup. You tend to take those things for granted until it happens. When my Accord got rear-ended by at 30 mph and then sandwiched into the car in front of me, there was almost nothing left behind the rear wheels. But despite the severity of the collision, there was no intrusion into the passenger compartment at all. The worst thing that would have happened was that the rear passengers (didn't have any at the time) would have gotten showered with glass b/c the rear window shattered, and that's it. I just had a couple of bruises. I may have hated the auto tranny, the engine's pathetically small powerband, and all of the annoying rattles and squeaks in the car. But dammit...it did one helluva job protecting me in the crash

Anyways, I'm glad everyone was okay. Make sure everyone gets checked out at a hospital if they aren't quite feeling 100%, and good luck dealing with insurance.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:21 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: I no longer own a Maxima........

Originally posted by dougb

...one where the airbag exploded in my face. I now hate those things for the fear that it sent throught my mind. It completed blided me and I was lost as to where I was
Maxima-ness - glad everyone is ok.

Dougb, am I reading that right? You *now* hate airbags because it saved life/pain/injury? I'd rather be blinded by the airbag than get a face full of glass and a jaw full of steering wheel. Count your blessings all you got was disoriented.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:22 AM

What is it with accords and wrecks!?

Anyway I know how you feel, when I flipped my accord twice and lived through it, the next day was the best day of my entire life. I'm glad you and everyone with you are ok.

Hrmm, insurance... 2k2 max in your future?
Old 03-06-2002, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

Hrmm, insurance... 2k2 max in your future?
Well, we have Liberty Mutual and theyve been there for us in the past. Since it was only my car vs. a deer, they cant deny us full coverage. I guess after the insurance takes care of the Max, ill head over to the lots and check out the new cars. I thought about an Acura (Dont flame me!! LoL) or maybe just getting something little until the Z comes out like a Sentra SE-R V-Spec. But, we will see how it goes. The insurance company is offering me a rental for as long as i need it (im sure theres a breaking point in there somewhere) so Ill have that tomorrow.

BTW, the air bags never went off...

Thank you guys for your kind words and I really do pray that none of you guys (and gals) every have to go through what i went through. Just drive safe, its really not worth it to drive like an idiot.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness

BTW, the air bags never went off...
I'm glad to hear everyone is okay.

I lost my sister early last year in a car accident. She was in a 01 Mustang convertible with her friend who was driving. They got T boned(driver side) going about 80-90mph by an on coming car on a 2 way freeway. My sister flew out of the car and ended up about 40-50 feet from the car. The driver died instantly and had most of his lower body crushed from the impact.

The airbags never went off either.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:31 PM

man, glad to hear you're okay. It is good to know our cars are solid. My friends and I just lost one of our friends to a car accident on the freeway. He drove one of those monster Tahoes, which of course flipped when he lost control. Sucks.. he was only 18.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:17 PM

glad to hear your okay and dont blame yourself things happen for a reason.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Volvo, Shmolvo ... my maxima saved me too

I lost my 94 Max to a head on 45 mph collision with an oblivious immigrant driver who "thought she had the green arrow" at a light that doesn't HAVE a green arrow. Turned left right on front of me. 3 seconds and an airbag deployment later, I realized that, while my Max kept going straight in a controlled fashion, my baby knocked her week a** Accord across 3 lanes of traffic and up over the opposite curb facing away from the road.

Luckily, no one was critically injured, although my back still bothers me to this day. What hurts most is the loss of that car. Other than a crunch in the front, the damage didn't even look that bad.

Maxima for life!!!
Old 03-08-2002, 11:35 PM

Nice to hear you guys are ok.

No matter what car you get you can still be Maxima-Ness
Old 03-09-2002, 12:51 AM

dude, i am so glad to hear you're ok, and the people with you too.
and yeah, there seem to be a lot of people in accidents who walk away from their maximas impressed with how well it holds up. it's certainly not a license to drive crazy, but it's damn nice to know that it'll cover my *** if i ever screw up.

take care man, and good luck.