5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

RSB useless????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 09:29 PM

RSB losing it's effectiveness????

Today some prelude was next to me thinking she wanted to race. Well I didn't feel like racing and neither did she because we were side by side for a good while, which made me uneasy. Anyways, up ahead I see the part of the street that starts to curve and decide to give the car a bit more air so I press on the accelarator and I think I was going about 50 mph by the time my car was taking the curve. Point is that I got a lot of body roll. It is the same street that I take to go to work and when I go at the speed I was going today, I noticed that I exhibited far more body roll (toward the driver side)than I am used to. Is something wrong with my suspension? Could it be that the Stillen RSB is losing it's affectiveness? Toughts and comments are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:48 PM

Re: RSB losing it's effectiveness????

I used to have Stillen RSB on my 2000 Maxima SE and tell you the truth after driving with it for a while, I did't notice effects of it that much. In the begining I did see the noticable effect.

I took RSB off before I sold my 2000 Maxima and drove the car two days without RSB and without FSTB and the car seemed to drive(handle) almost the same as it was with RSB and FSTB installed.
Strange.

I always thought that even with RSB, my had alot of body roll.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: RSB losing it's effectiveness????

Originally posted by Dany
I used to have Stillen RSB on my 2000 Maxima SE and tell you the truth after driving with it for a while, I did't notice effects of it that much. In the begining I did see the noticable effect.

I took RSB off before I sold my 2000 Maxima and drove the car two days without RSB and without FSTB and the car seemed to drive(handle) almost the same as it was with RSB and FSTB installed.
Strange.

I always thought that even with RSB, my had alot of body roll.
Its all in the head.

Plus if you enter a turn the wrong way, you will have a great deal of body roll regardless of how well your car handles.

Point trying to make, the RSB is an excellent mod for the money for handling wise. The FSTB made the front a lot tighter. The RSB makes the back alot less capable of "fish tailing".

Dixit
Old 03-11-2002, 11:13 PM
RBa

Re: Re: Re: RSB losing it's effectiveness????

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Its all in the head.

Plus if you enter a turn the wrong way, you will have a great deal of body roll regardless of how well your car handles.

Point trying to make, the RSB is an excellent mod for the money for handling wise. The FSTB made the front a lot tighter. The RSB makes the back alot less capable of "fish tailing".

Dixit
I noticed a tremendous amount of difference after I installed the rsb and there are ppl stating that they didn't notice anything after removing it... Hmmmmph!!!
I've drivin my friend's 2k1 gle (no drop... only has RSB, FSTB)..
The difference between his and mine were like night and day.. Perhaps it's the drop instead of the rsb... We'll see once my friend drops his car sometime this month...
Old 03-11-2002, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. Something i forgot to mention is that it seems as if my car has more body roll to the drivers side than the passenger side. i also didn't notice much of a diffrence with RSB on my car at first, then I kept moving it and at one point i did notice a diffrence. I moved it more and i think i moved it one two many times because the way i had it before was the way i liked it. I think I will re-adjust the sway bar and see it makes a diffrence. I doubt it will change much, but Dixit has a point I think it's all in the head because i am so used to driving with it on that i have gotten used to it. But lately i have noticed my handling characteristics have changed that it's caused some concerned. Sometimes it feels like the front driver side tire is \ instead of [ I hope I made sense there. it feels as if the tire is going to unbolt. So I tighten the lug nuts more and found that it needed to be tighten a little more. After that it felt the same. i did tire pressure checks with digital tire gauge and i found out that psi readings are all off. 31 for the front tires and 32 for the rear passenger side, and 34 for the front driver side. These readings are 2-3 psi higher when tires were hot. but I am wondering if tire preasure has something to do with it, doubt it but still. Also i have wondered if possibly I need an alignment or maybe a balance came of a tire. I have checked my struts but nothing that I can see is wrong. Any ideas, comments, theories is very much appreciated. Thanks you guys.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:43 AM
RBa

Here's my opinion..

Tire pressure will always be off.. You're suppose to check it every week or so..
As for the alignment, you don't really need it unless your steering wheel gradually shakes during highway speeds or your car seems to steer to one direction.. But I recommend you get the alignment to eliminate the possiblity.. Perhaps it is the alignment.. Or it can be anything from shocks to worn tires, etc...

All & all, I think it's time for you to go visit a mechanic....
Old 03-12-2002, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

I guarantee 90% of those who have the RSB don't know how to actually use it. [/B]
That is true with just about any high speed manuever. Some people have never really pushed thier rides to extreme levels and those of us who have have had some bad experiences in our past, ie: wrecking my 944 trying to take a sharp 90 degree turn at 50 mph. Besides an occasional power slide or a nice u-turn I stay away from the twisties, I am now a stop light to stop light kinda driver. I guess the thought of a blowout at 90 mph on twistie just doesn't appeal to me anymore.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Menacer
Thanks for the comments guys. Something i forgot to mention is that it seems as if my car has more body roll to the drivers side than the passenger side.
That's probably a result of the fact that the driver's side weighs more than the passenger side. That is, assuming you don't have a passenger perfectly counterbalancing your weight.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
That's all in your head...unless you have coilovers and check pressure every hour...that statement is nul.

That depends how big he is.
Old 03-12-2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

That depends how big he is.
I am 5,8 190 lbs give or take.

Originally posted by MichaelAE That's probably a result of the fact that the driver's side weighs more than the passenger side. That is, assuming you don't have a passenger perfectly counterbalancing your weight.
Well, yeah I am aware of that but things is i didn't have this problem before and lately i noticed the ride doesn't feel the same. i used to take that curve without much bodyroll and lately I noticed my max hasn't handled the same. I think i will have someone check it out. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-12-2002, 03:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't have a RSB, but it seems like someone mentioned that you have to re-tighten the RSB after awhile. Can't really remember though. I'm not sure that will help anyway.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:49 PM
RBa

Originally posted by BlancMax
I don't have a RSB, but it seems like someone mentioned that you have to re-tighten the RSB after awhile. Can't really remember though. I'm not sure that will help anyway.
Doesn't really help, unless your RSB has "slid" back a bit, so you should adjust it so it sits properly below the beam, and keep it as short a length from the brackets to the beam.