5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

To Protect or not to Protect?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 10:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

To Protect or not to Protect?

I know this is the dumbest, and oldest question since dealers start using their brains...

I know it's been posted a zillion time, but the mixed opinion didn't help...

So......when I get a new car...and it's gonna be black.
Should i get,
1)Paint protection
2)Leather "
3)Rust "
4)undercoat "
5)All or any of the above?

Dealers/Sales been pushing this pretty hard....they are quite convincing, but well, I trust u guys more...so please..help!

Thanks-u thank u thankU!
Old 03-19-2002, 11:23 AM

Re: To Protect or not to Protect?

Originally posted by leungjc78
I know this is the dumbest, and oldest question since dealers start using their brains...:mad

I know it's been posted a zillion time, but the mixed opinion didn't help...

So......when I get a new car...and it's gonna be black.
Should i get,
1)Paint protection
2)Leather "
3)Rust "
4)undercoat "
5)All or any of the above?

Dealers/Sales been pushing this pretty hard....they are quite convincing, but well, I trust u guys more...so please..help!

Thanks-u thank u thankU!:cool
From the dealer NO, NO, NO, NO and NO

Take it elsewhere and have those things done. Those things they try and sell you have the biggest markup and is where they make most of the money on the sale of a new car. www.carbuyingtips.com has some good tips about things like that

The first 2 you can do yourself:

1) www.zainobros.com or any other high quality wax applied every few months will give more protection than the dealer's "lifetime" thing

2) products for this can be found in the stickys

3 & 4) a place such as Ziebart will be able to do this for cheaper than the dealer (if you live in an area where they use road salt, get this done yearly) -- if you're really inclined to do so, you can even do this one yourself

hope that helps

cheers
Old 03-19-2002, 02:47 PM

These are all big money making items that the dealer does (at least you think it gets done). You can get these services elsewhere if you really want them. (The leather you can condition yourself). The dealers don't make money on the sale..their main $$ comes from the financing, extended warranties and aftermarket products. When I worked for (very large and reputable) dealer..I sold the window etching for $199..dealer cost was $25, aftermarket alarms $299..dealer cost $35. Undercoating ...$149..dealer cost $15
Old 03-19-2002, 06:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

oh man...thanks for the tips guys..
gee........
isn't that...like a scam?????
It's...just disgusting that the dealers do this regularly.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:04 PM

Re: Re: To Protect or not to Protect?

Originally posted by MajesticBlueNTO

From the dealer NO, NO, NO, NO and NO

Take it elsewhere and have those things done. Those things they try and sell you have the biggest markup and is where they make most of the money on the sale of a new car. www.carbuyingtips.com has some good tips about things like that

The first 2 you can do yourself:

1) www.zainobros.com or any other high quality wax applied every few months will give more protection than the dealer's "lifetime" thing

2) products for this can be found in the stickys

3 & 4) a place such as Ziebart will be able to do this for cheaper than the dealer (if you live in an area where they use road salt, get this done yearly) -- if you're really inclined to do so, you can even do this one yourself

hope that helps

cheers
AgrEEEd..........and I work @ a dealer, a completed package costs us less than 2bones.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
When I worked for (very large and reputable) dealer..I sold the window etching for $199..dealer cost was $25, aftermarket alarms $299..dealer cost $35. Undercoating ...$149..dealer cost $15
i worked for a place that sold aftermarket alarms and video systems to the dealer. it wasnt anywhere near that bad. for an alarm dealer cost was like $150 and your cost was around $220.

but no, dont get that stuff from the dealer. they definitely are marked up.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:54 PM

I can't believe dealers are still trying to push that crap. I gotta give props to Stevens Creek Nissan, they didn't try to sell me any of that stuff, in fact it was probably one of the smoothest transactions I had ever experienced. Maybe they try to push it on you when you're young, they figure you don't know any better.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:29 AM

OH MAN,

Yeah I fell for that once when I was 17, buying my old accord.

I bought an $800 dollars package that was supposed to be a "special paint protecting compound, and interior stain protector" with a lifetime "corrosion and paint deterioration" guarantee with a paint job.

Well it turned out it was nothing more than a glorified wax job and some scotch guard sprayed on the interior. Well when I went back there for a paint chip they blamed it on me and told me they'd only repaint if there was corrosion. Well, you can imagine how much rust one encounters in southern california =P.

Well I felt like a complete *** after that and I will NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER trust another dealer again. =)

btw carbuyingtips.com is an awesome site
Old 03-20-2002, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by Newman96SE

i worked for a place that sold aftermarket alarms and video systems to the dealer. it wasnt anywhere near that bad. for an alarm dealer cost was like $150 and your cost was around $220.

but no, dont get that stuff from the dealer. they definitely are marked up.
Sorry off subject, but I wanted to give you props on the painted grill in your sig. That makes the Max look completely different. I think I will play around with Photoshop and some of the other color out there.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Lumbee799

Sorry off subject, but I wanted to give you props on the painted grill in your sig. That makes the Max look completely different. I think I will play around with Photoshop and some of the other color out there.
thanks.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:08 AM

Don't waste your money on the crap that dealers sell. Do get something to protect your paint especially w/black. I work for a Ziebart and we have some stuff that works great. If you do it yourself make sure you get some wax on it right away.