5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Alignment problem...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 03:04 PM

Alignment problem...HELP

I had my Maxspeed springs installed & kept the stock struts. I don't remember the car pulling to the right and the steering wheel was slightly off-center to the left. After I had my alignment (they put on new wheels and tires at the same time) I noticed the car pulled slightly to the right & they forgot to adjust the steering wheel. I brought the car back and they adjusted the steering wheel the wrong way (so now it's off-center to the left twice as bad) and I didn't mention the pull b/c I figured the steering wheel fix would fix that. So I brought the car back and he adjusted the steering wheel again and now it's on center. But now the car pulls even harder to the right. As soon as I let go of the steering wheel the car drifts right like I'm slowly changing lanes. So I call them and tell them and they say the steering wheel adjustment won't change the way the car pulls and since there's no adjustment for "pulling" I'll have to live with it. He suggested switching tires and see if the car now pulls to the left but I doubt that will help since the pulling is worse since he adjusted the steering wheel. Some advice is greatly needed!!!

Thanks,

Tony
Old 03-22-2002, 03:12 PM

Re: Alignment problem...HELP

[i]Some advice is greatly needed!!!

Thanks,

Tony [/B]
Did you get the alignment after the spring install? If you disconnect the suspension usually needs an alighment. Also as the springs settle it may change tha alignment. For this you should wait a few weeks after a suspension install to get an alighment.

I installed my maxspeeds last weekend and the alignment seems Ok.

Be sure to check it on a level surface because most roads are curved for drainage, this will pull your car.

IF all else fails, get an alighment from another location. (first check tire pressure as this will also affect alignment)
Old 03-22-2002, 04:48 PM

Re: Re: Alignment problem...HELP

Originally posted by theMax

Did you get the alignment after the spring install? If you disconnect the suspension usually needs an alighment. Also as the springs settle it may change tha alignment. For this you should wait a few weeks after a suspension install to get an alighment.

I installed my maxspeeds last weekend and the alignment seems Ok.

Be sure to check it on a level surface because most roads are curved for drainage, this will pull your car.

IF all else fails, get an alighment from another location. (first check tire pressure as this will also affect alignment)
I had the car aligned two days after the spring install. Both the suspension shop that did the install and the alignment shop said waiting for the springs to "settle" was not necessary. I also suggested this as the reason the car may be pulling now and was told this was not so.

As far as the curved roads for drainage...it does it virtually everywhere I drive.

I will check the tire pressure.

They switched the tires on the right side of the car to make sure they weren't the source and it still pulls. He said I'd have to live with it. I shouldn't have to live with my car pulling!! Yet, he says there is no adjustment for this and I'm SOL.

Tony