5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ok, this is BULLSHIET

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 11:40 PM

ok, this is BULLSHIET

ok, ive been reading about how our cars feel like theyre not performing at potential...and i think i joined these other guys...like i wasnt exactly feeling as much pull as i used to...from 70-90 i used to fly..but no more....today i was at a friends house and we went out to eat...so im rolling next to my friend in his 92 Acura Legend, 4 door and 200hp and hes completely stock, he has 3 other guys w/ him, all 140lbs and up...me...i have one guy weighing 160 and 2 younger kids adding up to 160 and my system...so weight was pretty much even...[a little backround..ive raced him from a dead stop to about 80 and smoked him, and that was b4 my FC intake].....so we're rolling about 30-40mph and we floor it...and he keeps up, and even starts to pass me by 65ish... i was like wtf? cuz i was expecting to blow him out and he pulled on me...so next we try from stop..i drop into 1...and light turns green, we go...again, he keeps up, and by 60 he has fender on me....again im like wtf?...so now im depressed...then im on my way home, on the 71N, wide open, barely patrolled...i see this early 90's generation prelude, so i decide to test my car again..mistake..i pull up to him at about 80..he goes, i go..he has like 1/2 car when we start but im thinking honda? im gonna kill this fool..and we got up to 115, he had a full car on me....he had an exhaust but dont know what else...either way, im hella depressed...my car just doesnt pull anymore.....WHAT THE ****!!!??? i need to go to dealer cuz this is gay...thanks for reading...any replies would help...
atw
Old 04-13-2002, 11:57 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

bottom line..

no service light, no stored code, no dealer help. You will simply blow $80 for a scan.

If you are pinging, then thats another story.

You should see if you can hook up with a dyno as there are plenty of dyno charts posted here to compare with. A road race with a modded car shouldnt mean much.

Past that, check your airfilter and whatnot..
Old 04-13-2002, 11:57 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: ok, this is BULLSHIET

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g
ok, ive been reading about how our cars feel like theyre not performing at potential...and i think i joined these other guys...like i wasnt exactly feeling as much pull as i used to...from 70-90 i used to fly..but no more....today i was at a friends house and we went out to eat...so im rolling next to my friend in his 92 Acura Legend, 4 door and 200hp and hes completely stock, he has 3 other guys w/ him, all 140lbs and up...me...i have one guy weighing 160 and 2 younger kids adding up to 160 and my system...so weight was pretty much even...[a little backround..ive raced him from a dead stop to about 80 and smoked him, and that was b4 my FC intake].....so we're rolling about 30-40mph and we floor it...and he keeps up, and even starts to pass me by 65ish... i was like wtf? cuz i was expecting to blow him out and he pulled on me...so next we try from stop..i drop into 1...and light turns green, we go...again, he keeps up, and by 60 he has fender on me....again im like wtf?...so now im depressed...then im on my way home, on the 71N, wide open, barely patrolled...i see this early 90's generation prelude, so i decide to test my car again..mistake..i pull up to him at about 80..he goes, i go..he has like 1/2 car when we start but im thinking honda? im gonna kill this fool..and we got up to 115, he had a full car on me....he had an exhaust but dont know what else...either way, im hella depressed...my car just doesnt pull anymore.....WHAT THE ****!!!??? i need to go to dealer cuz this is gay...thanks for reading...any replies would help...
atw
Check to see if your coils will be taken care of by the TSB.

If that's not the problem it might be the NVIS that a few on here are reporting is not working. Basically, your manifold switches over at 5K rpms. If this is where you feel your car is not pulling, you should get a dyno. MaxGator will know from your dyno and a few tests whether or not your NVIS is not working.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:04 AM

Re: bottom line..

Originally posted by TimW
no service light, no stored code, no dealer help. You will simply blow $80 for a scan.

If you are pinging, then thats another story.

You should see if you can hook up with a dyno as there are plenty of dyno charts posted here to compare with. A road race with a modded car shouldnt mean much.

Past that, check your airfilter and whatnot..
i should have mentioned that i have the SES light right now...i need sumbody to help me take my FC intake out, put stock in, and FC back in after dealer visit...
atw
Old 04-14-2002, 12:17 AM

Re: Re: bottom line..

i should have mentioned that i have the SES light right now...i need sumbody to help me take my FC intake out, put stock in, and FC back in after dealer visit...
atw
You can figure it out it's not hard!
Old 04-14-2002, 12:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: bottom line..

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

You can figure it out it's not hard!
yea i wish i could...maybe ill try, dont have proper tools though
atw
Old 04-14-2002, 12:36 AM

Re: ok, this is BULLSHIET

atw
I am really starting to wonder about this miracle fuel filter that supposedly never needs replacing. Could a clogged fuel filter be causing this kind of power loss?

The fuel filter is in-tank..maybe even part of the fuel pump...not sure. Still has me worried after about 50K miles or so.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: bottom line..

yea i wish i could...maybe ill try, dont have proper tools though
atw
Well, if you really need to take it out, we'll help ya do it at the next meet. Most likely though, it's something silly.. Over oiled air filter (cough tracy) and dirty MAF, dirty throttle body, need oil change and new oil filter, old spark plugs.. something maintenence related. All these can cause a mysterious loss of power. Then again the check engine light might read something. Maybe someone on the west coast has a OBDII scanner you can borrow. I wouldn't take it in to the dealer just yet, they may just BS you around and make you spend money on stuff you dont need. How many miles do you have on your car? Maybe it's just time for scheduled maintenence.

If all of the above fails, you can follow the instructions in the How-To sticky to diagnose if you have a problem with your variable intake manifold.

D
Old 04-14-2002, 07:52 AM

Are you sure his Legend has only 200hp? , I have a friend also with a 92 Acura Legend auto and he said he has 230hp.

Maybe the Intake is bad or is malefunctioning?
Old 04-14-2002, 08:45 PM
swallac2

Ah....turn the A/C off?

If your getting a light that must mean there is something wrong. Buy the tools and take the intake off.

Old 04-14-2002, 08:52 PM

I can't believe your driving at 90mph with young kids in the back and complaining.

But, go easy on the car for a few days keep it at and below 3k, i bet it comes back.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:17 PM

hey thanks for all the suggestions guys...first thing, im getting my intake removed this week...car goes to dealers sumtime this weekk...let them tell me sum bs, hopefully get sumthing fixed...and max'n out, i didnt quite hit 90...we shut down before 60 each time...but its all good, cept tha fact that i lost...nobody was w/ me for the prelude races...im almost at 24k, i dont need oil change till like 24.5k....im just gonna take it to dealers...tell em it starts up badly, sumhow manifest to them tha fact that it doesnt have the "ummmpphhh" it used to, and that i have the SES light so do something about it...hoooooopefully they will.....thanks again guys
atw
Old 04-24-2002, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by 2001SE
Are you sure his Legend has only 200hp? , I have a friend also with a 92 Acura Legend auto and he said he has 230hp.
The 4door sedans it's:
1991-1995 Acura Legends L,LS (200HP V6 3.2L, manuals are 5speed)
1994-1995 Acura Legend GS (230HP V6 3.2L, manuals are 6speed)

TypeIIs Sedans, generally will have 16" 5 spoke rims, body colored grille (as opposed to chrome grille on the typeIs), speedometers inside will go up to 160 vs 140 on the typeI.. In addition all 94-95 Legends have "Legend" written across the back, while the 91-93 have an "A" symbol only.

Of course, all of those items can be changed...and are often changed. And in all honestly, the Legend performs best while rolling, it's a high speed monster, was designed for highway use
Old 04-24-2002, 12:48 AM

How about resetting the ECU again?... My friend's '95 "liked" it, and someone here w/5gen said he got better MPG after doing it...

G
Old 04-24-2002, 06:46 AM

You live 20 minutes away from me. (Corona, CA) IM me at "melteye" if you want to come down and I'll help put it back in.