5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5 speed or auto?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 06:25 PM

5 speed or auto?

I have decided to buy a 2000 SE. 17" rims and all the toys. Will I notice a big performance difference in the 5 speed over the auto?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:54 PM

uh-oh, I'd do a search, there's a lot of info. on the subject--but yes, there will be a performance difference, about .5 seconds in a quarter mile, sometimes less--manuals also 'use' mods more effectively
Old 04-30-2002, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by mattattax
uh-oh, I'd do a search, there's a lot of info. on the subject--but yes, there will be a performance difference, about .5 seconds in a quarter mile, sometimes less--manuals also 'use' mods more effectively
Get the 5spd! You wont regret it
Old 04-30-2002, 07:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I say unless you live in the city were you will constantly have to change gears I would go with the 5spd. I currently own an auto and love it, but then again most of the driving I do is in the city or at least stop and go. Yes, it is true that manuals take mods better than auto's, but honestly i've raced several 5spd's and have been beat and i've beaten a few. Of course if you ask the 5spd drivers they'll say that the drivers I did beat had no clue how to drive. Anyways it's all up to you so get what you want.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:13 PM

get wa=hat suites your needs most--if you have to be on the phone and in traffic and eating fast food all the time or you just don't like knowing you have to shift, get the auto and its advantages--otherwise get the 5 sp. and take the advantages that come with it
Old 04-30-2002, 09:36 PM

get wa=hat suites your needs most--if you have to be on the phone and in traffic and eating fast food all the time or you just don't like knowing you have to shift, get the auto and its advantages--otherwise get the 5 sp. and take the advantages that come with it
Old 04-30-2002, 10:44 PM

dawwwwg....i have auto, and everytime im in the mood to drive, which is like 95% of the time, i wish i had manual...but i guess those late night drivings when i just want to sleep make up for it cuz i dont have to mess w/ anything.....but id take manual hands down
atw
Old 05-01-2002, 05:33 AM

Ever wake up in the middle of the night and can't wait to get your hands on your favorite video game? Well that's what driving a manual tranny max is like. I will randomly leave the house in the middle of the night just to take her out for a spin. Pure joy.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
Ever wake up in the middle of the night and can't wait to get your hands on your favorite video game? Well that's what driving a manual tranny max is like. I will randomly leave the house in the middle of the night just to take her out for a spin. Pure joy.
Trust me this has nothing to do with owning a manual or auto. It has everything to do with owning a badass car like the Maxima. I've got an auto and I feel the same thing. Of course I would like the Maxima wether it was an auto or manual just the satisfaction I get everytime I drive it is enough for me.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by Deven2kStickMax

5 SPEED BRO. This is my second 5 gen 5 speed and am loving her. She handles well over an auto and eats hondas everyday for lunch.
5 speeds don't handle better

if it would've been feasible for me to get the manual, I would've--si just get whats feaible for YOU
Old 05-01-2002, 06:31 AM

GET A 5 SPEED, you won't regret it.

Traffic or not, I would rather have a 5 speed. I hate it when I punch it and the tranny doesn't down shift (doesn't happen often).

When I first got my Max I loved it, but now it seems boring. I keep my hand on the auto shifter like it was a stick. I work with Ali (PI0NEER) and have ridin with him several times. Oh man oh man, what a rush to drop the clutch and have the power hit the wheels, drop down to hit second and chirp the wheels. With a auto, punch it, some wheel spin, auto whines at the top of 1st and SLOWLY engages second. My next Max will be a 2k2 6 speed with a sunroof. This will be heaven.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

And the differecne gets greater the faster you go

DW

Old 05-01-2002, 07:04 AM

Re: GET A 5 SPEED, you won't regret it.

Originally posted by Lumbee799
Traffic or not, I would rather have a 5 speed. I hate it when I punch it and the tranny doesn't down shift (doesn't happen often).

When I first got my Max I loved it, but now it seems boring. I keep my hand on the auto shifter like it was a stick. I work with Ali (PI0NEER) and have ridin with him several times. Oh man oh man, what a rush to drop the clutch and have the power hit the wheels, drop down to hit second and chirp the wheels. With a auto, punch it, some wheel spin, auto whines at the top of 1st and SLOWLY engages second. My next Max will be a 2k2 6 speed with a sunroof. This will be heaven.
MR MATTATTAX why would you say 5 speeds don't handle better? Maybe it's not the car it's the DRIVER. A 5 SPEED IS A FIVE SPEED and stock as she is , she will whipp a stock auto if the driver is good.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:08 AM

5 speeds don't handle better

In fact, 5-spds DO handle better. Not necessarily because of the suspension, but because the stick allows you to keep the engine in its powerband when entering and exiting turns, whereas the automatic will always be hunting for a gear.

Ask around at the next autocross event you attend, and see who's driving automatics =)
Old 05-01-2002, 07:10 AM
jjs

Get the stick!!

Of the 20,000+ miles I have driven on mine, I would say a VERY small percentage have been inconvenient (heavy traffic, phone calls coming in, etc.). The infrequent downsides of driving a stick are WAY more than made up for in the fun and feeling the rest of the time!

Old 05-01-2002, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by Sandman2K

In fact, 5-spds DO handle better. Not necessarily because of the suspension, but because the stick allows you to keep the engine in its powerband when entering and exiting turns, whereas the automatic will always be hunting for a gear.

Ask around at the next autocross event you attend, and see who's driving automatics =)
Sandmax2k you are right bro
Old 05-01-2002, 07:14 AM

Re: Get the stick!!

Originally posted by jjs
Of the 20,000+ miles I have driven on mine, I would say a VERY small percentage have been inconvenient (heavy traffic, phone calls coming in, etc.). The infrequent downsides of driving a stick are WAY more than made up for in the fun and feeling the rest of the time!

Yeah get the stick bro. Everyone has a SONY PLAYSTATION home, but my playstation is you know what?
Old 05-01-2002, 07:49 AM

the first thing I posted was "uh-oh" b/c I knew it would bring the "5speeds are always better than autos" crowd here on their high horses--you have a good point on the handling bit, I never thought of it that way, I was thinking you were talking about suspension, but I also don't go tearing around every corner I see like I'm in an autocross--I never said an auto would beat a manual; and NO a manual will not "whipp" an auto, the auto will lose but don't exagerate as we've had people here race a 6sp. and an auto and there wasn't a huge difference--if I exagerated the inconvenience of a manual (I don't think I did), I did so b/c of my own driving needs, which can't be met by a manual, if they could (and if yours could) I'd get the manual over the auto anyday--I do believe the fastest max on the board is an auto running 12.2 (prolly faster now) though
Old 05-01-2002, 08:11 AM

the first thing I posted was "uh-oh" b/c I knew it would bring the "5speeds are always better than autos" crowd here on their high horses--you have a good point on the handling bit, I never thought of it that way, I was thinking you were talking about suspension, but I also don't go tearing around every corner I see like I'm in an autocross--I never said an auto would beat a manual; and NO a manual will not "whipp" an auto, the auto will lose but don't exagerate as we've had people here race a 6sp. and an auto and there wasn't a huge difference--if I exagerated the inconvenience of a manual (I don't think I did), I did so b/c of my own driving needs, which can't be met by a manual, if they could (and if yours could) I'd get the manual over the auto anyday--I do believe the fastest max on the board is an auto running 12.2 (prolly faster now) though
I apologize if I started the new raging controversy

You are right, though. There are times when an automatic is preferable, and city driving is definitely one of them.

This may start yet "another" controversy, but, without exception, the 5- and 6-spd Max's should wallop an automatic (of the same year, of course.)

When you have an auto keeping up with the stick, then there's a lack of skill on the stick-driver's part (as I huddle from the maelstrom of flames.)

If the stick-driver isn't running each gear to 6,500 rpms and powershifting, then they are NOT getting the full performance out of their Max. I know there are many drivers here who consider taking the motor to 5k really running it, but this is not the case.

Line up an auto and stick side-by-side, brake torque the auto and rev the stick to 4k and see what happens. This is assuming you do have traction (and the stock Potenzas don't even make an attempt to grab the road, as you all know). Wanna do it right? Get a set of 16" Nitto 555R street-drag tires on OEM 16" rims and launch the stick like an animal. With powershifts in each gear, the stick should be AT LEAST .75 seconds quicker in the quarter.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Sandman2K
With powershifts in each gear, the stick should be AT LEAST .75 seconds quicker in the quarter.
several stock 2k2 autos have gotten 14.5-14.8 range(my friend eric got 14.6)I do 14.8s with intake and heavier 18" wheels without power breaking--with that said, the 2k2 6 speed is not a 13.85 second car in stock form (or 14 flat for that matter)--so I think (powershifting included) .5 and sometimes less would be more accurate for the Maxima; you're prolly right about .75 for other cars though and then other cars I'm sure it would be less than .5--the fastest 2k2 6sp. time has been 14.23, with most around 14.3 and 14.4 and some still up at 14.5-14.6 I doubt another half a second can be squeezed out by power shifting

and don't get me wrong, half a second is a DEFINITE performance difference, and with mods added the gap gets bigger, as I previously posted
Old 05-01-2002, 03:14 PM

Re: 5 speed or auto?

auto is better.....how about u buy a 5 speed at cheaper price and I will trade my auto for ur 5speed j/k

I still cant forgive myself for picking an auto instead of 5 speed. does that give u a hint? otherwise, I am glad that I have an auto for the crappy bay area traffic.

Originally posted by jjames
I have decided to buy a 2000 SE. 17" rims and all the toys. Will I notice a big performance difference in the 5 speed over the auto?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:19 PM

Re: Re: 5 speed or auto?

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

I still cant forgive myself for picking an auto instead of 5 speed. does that give u a hint? otherwise, I am glad that I have an auto for the crappy bay area traffic.
I feel the same way but i'm ALWAYS in that kind of traffic, only in H-town
Old 05-01-2002, 04:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: 5 speed or auto?

maybe we should work in graveyard shift to avoid traffic

I feel the same way but i'm ALWAYS in that kind of traffic, only in H-town
Old 05-01-2002, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by 1BADMAX

Trust me this has nothing to do with owning a manual or auto. It has everything to do with owning a badass car like the Maxima. I've got an auto and I feel the same thing. Of course I would like the Maxima wether it was an auto or manual just the satisfaction I get everytime I drive it is enough for me.
Well, my last maxima was an auto and I never did that... just me I guess. No offense to you guys, but I never forgave myself for getting an auto the last time around, this time, no regrets
Old 05-02-2002, 05:38 PM

Level10... Shift-Kit. Soon... Enough said.

And I'm willing to risk using them with their rep, because I am talking to lawyers beforehand

PTS Auto is available. Shift-kit isn't yet, but when it comes I am upgrading to it. So the shifting will be same/faster then a manual AND i will have control of when it shifts (later).

And I don't have to kill myself in traffic (4 hours a day in traffic).

And I can receive... ummmm... ya.. easier while driving Thats important to me.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:20 PM

5 SPEED BRO. This is my second 5 gen 5 speed and am loving her. She handles well over an auto and eats hondas everyday for lunch.
Out handle auto, isnt it the same suspension. c'mon i think thats a little fairy tale. 5spds are quicker then autos, but dont say it can out handle, that makes no sense to me, even if manuals can hold the power down, why cant i apply brakes easy til car slows down.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by nissanmaximas

Out handle auto, isnt it the same suspension. c'mon i think thats a little fairy tale. 5spds are quicker then autos, but dont say it can out handle, that makes no sense to me, even if manuals can hold the power down, why cant i apply brakes easy til car slows down.
when i say handles better i mean having better control making handling a peace a cake, even if the car is 100% stock. let me tell you a story. i was on the highway and a mustang and camero passed me. i couldn't keep up much with them, but when they hit the turns all you see is brakes lights. as stock as my car was with no mods i catch them on the turns and passed both of them. so never underestimate the handling of a 5 speed max, even if it's 100 % stock
Old 05-02-2002, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by melteye
Level10... Shift-Kit. Soon... Enough said.

And I'm willing to risk using them with their rep, because I am talking to lawyers beforehand

PTS Auto is available. Shift-kit isn't yet, but when it comes I am upgrading to it. So the shifting will be same/faster then a manual AND i will have control of when it shifts (later).

And I don't have to kill myself in traffic (4 hours a day in traffic).

And I can receive... ummmm... ya.. easier while driving Thats important to me.
Yes, but I have 2 more gears to choose from
Old 05-02-2002, 10:29 PM

I didn't ****ing ask you so shut the hell up.

<--- the sound the jealousy
Old 05-03-2002, 07:25 AM

when i say handles better i mean having better control making handling a peace a cake, even if the car is 100% stock. let me tell you a story. i was on the highway and a mustang and camero passed me. i couldn't keep up much with them, but when they hit the turns all you see is brakes lights. as stock as my car was with no mods i catch them on the turns and passed both of them. so never underestimate the handling of a 5 speed max, even if it's 100 % stock
And i still say an auto max will handle just as well as a manual max. both stock to the bone. its the drivers not the cars. which in this case i win! as per what i showed you on the Southern State Parkway.

nice sig
Old 05-03-2002, 07:42 AM
jjs

It is not just slowing down....

Originally posted by nissanmaximas

I find it difficult to imagine an auto holding the rev's up around 4000+ going into a turn and then exiting well inside the 'sweet spot' in the power band...maybe if manually shifting it, but then we aren't really talking about an 'auto' are we?

On approach (downshifting), the turn itslef, and then on exit a manual typically will hold the engine where the power is most available.

As has been said, it is greatly dependent upon driver skill and experience, but I have to go with a manual...

As far as any 'extracurricular' activities while driving...a manual may get in the way, but it should get you to the hotel a little quicker so you can concentrate on the road first and the other fun stuff without distractions...
Old 05-03-2002, 07:04 PM

Re: It is not just slowing down....

Originally posted by jjs

I find it difficult to imagine an auto holding the rev's up around 4000+ going into a turn and then exiting well inside the 'sweet spot' in the power band...maybe if manually shifting it, but then we aren't really talking about an 'auto' are we?

On approach (downshifting), the turn itslef, and then on exit a manual typically will hold the engine where the power is most available.

As has been said, it is greatly dependent upon driver skill and experience, but I have to go with a manual...

As far as any 'extracurricular' activities while driving...a manual may get in the way, but it should get you to the hotel a little quicker so you can concentrate on the road first and the other fun stuff without distractions...
Old 05-04-2002, 08:07 PM

TRUE STATEMENT jjs
Old 05-04-2002, 10:11 PM

Don't even both to ask. Buy whichever one is more practical for your everyday driving. You'll get tons of arguments for and against buying both on this forum. We here in Dallas, from maxima.org, got together last year. One guy had an excellently modded auto, tranny cooler, SC included. He raced a 2K1 5 spd. AE. Even with the extra 90 hp, absolutely no contest. Now, this is not an attempt to flame autos, I paid ggod $$$ for the one I drive. As far as being able to get in it and just drive, as some people have said. I do it all of the time, all of the time. My job is not the conventional 9 to 5, my next car, whatever it may be, will be a manual. If you are buying a used car, you might not have much of a choice, there are not many manuals on the market, you might not have a choice. Whatever car you get, you will have a great sedan for the $$$. Get the y-pipe and the intake. You will have a hella fast car. Have fun deciding.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:44 AM

I don't see how your statement makes sense... "Even with 90 extra hp"? An auto with that much more hp would take the same year 5spd.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by melteye
I don't see how your statement makes sense... "Even with 90 extra hp"? An auto with that much more hp would take the same year 5spd.
I saw the racing, you on the other hand didn't. If you are willing to let your opinion, instead of a testified fact, be a factor, you're welcome to do so. I saw the SC auto struggle to keep up with the 5 spd. There is no comparison, SIMPLY NONE. As much as I love my auto it's no challenge to a manual. To think you can take a manual is a nice dream. I'm a hell of a driver but I know my car won't allow me to. Bottom line, either car is a heck of a bargain. Real fast.