5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y Pipe- Cattman or Stillen- is there a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 04:00 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Y Pipe- Cattman or Stillen- is there a difference?

Yes, I did a search and I found nothing. I'm about to buy the Stillen for $375 (plus $22 for some Cali part?/ huh?). Anyhow, just wondering (especially you Y2KSE) what your preferences are....
Old 05-06-2002, 05:02 PM

Re: Y Pipe- Cattman or Stillen- is there a difference?

Originally posted by asu174
Yes, I did a search and I found nothing. I'm about to buy the Stillen for $375 (plus $22 for some Cali part?/ huh?). Anyhow, just wondering (especially you Y2KSE) what your preferences are....
From what i have read on this topic so far, Cattmans Y-pipe is stainless steel and is proned to rusting like some of the Stillen Y-pipe owners have been reporting after the first year or so of ownership. I myself am in the market for a Y-pipe, so far im leaning towards the Cattman, but i want to hear more on the issue before purchasing.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Stillen uses ceramic coated y-pipes...Cattman uses T-304 Stainless Steel...if you live in an area with harsh weather(snow, sluch), go with Cattman..if not, then it doesn't matter..
Old 05-06-2002, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by irvine78
Stillen uses ceramic coated y-pipes...Cattman uses T-304 Stainless Steel...if you live in an area with harsh weather(snow, sluch), go with Cattman..if not, then it doesn't matter..
Anyone considering a cattman y-pipe should be aware of the flex section failure issue. If you haven't read about this, do a search. I was about to buy the cattman when I heard about this. Now I think I'm going with the stillen (the $tealin, that is). By the way, the stillen hisses, thats why I originally wanted the cattman.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:08 PM

Go with Warpspeed's - they'll be available soon

I've had the Stillen for almost a year and have been happy with it. No rust problems (but I live in Texas) and the "bees in the can" sound goes away after a couple of weeks. It sounds virtually stock now. I suppose the flex section just "breaks-in" after a while.

BUT I would wait until Warpspeeds' is available. I spoke with Dallas a few days ago and he said they will have 2K-2K1 pipes available soon (although I'm not sure exactly how soon is "soon"). He explained some design compromises that Stillen makes in order to manufacture a one-fits-all y-pipe. He said theres' will be a better flowing design - for example, on the Stillen Y the rear downpipe has an unecessarily long and curved bend. Also the collector is not as fluid a design as is possible. He said they will have different pipes customized exactly for Cali or Fed-spec cars. They should also have complete B-pipes soon. I think I'm going to get their y-pipe as soon as it's available and sell my Stillen!
Old 05-07-2002, 06:09 AM

Just bought the Stillen. I heard the shop owners and I was hooked. My girlfriend is going to kill me if she sees the receipt. I hope it doesn't rattle. I have Cali spec so I had to shell out $22 for some sort of collector??. I don't care though. Ever since high school I have always wanted to mess with my car and this is my first mod (8 years later).....
Old 05-07-2002, 06:29 AM

I don't blame you

Originally posted by asu174
Just bought the Stillen. I heard the shop owners and I was hooked. My girlfriend is going to kill me if she sees the receipt. I hope it doesn't rattle. I have Cali spec so I had to shell out $22 for some sort of collector??. I don't care though. Ever since high school I have always wanted to mess with my car and this is my first mod (8 years later).....

The Warpseed Y has been coming out soon for the last 6 months.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:36 AM

Yes, but think of it as ketchup... Good things come to those who wait -- So, if it doesn't have any bees and it has a worry free flex section and is rust resistent, then isn't it worth the wait? I've been wanting one for a while now (so I can have fun like everyone else), but have been waiting semi-patiently for the Warspeed.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by djmaxski
Yes, but think of it as ketchup... Good things come to those who wait -- So, if it doesn't have any bees and it has a worry free flex section and is rust resistent, then isn't it worth the wait? I've been wanting one for a while now (so I can have fun like everyone else), but have been waiting semi-patiently for the Warspeed.
How bad are the bees? Seriously....... I heard the Cattman has problems, so I got the Stillen......
Old 05-07-2002, 08:54 AM
jjs

Re: Go with Warpspeed's - they'll be available soon

Originally posted by sleepermax
I've had the Stillen for almost a year and have been happy with it. No rust problems (but I live in Texas) and the "bees in the can" sound goes away after a couple of weeks. It sounds virtually stock now. I suppose the flex section just "breaks-in" after a while.

BUT I would wait until Warpspeeds' is available. I spoke with Dallas a few days ago and he said they will have 2K-2K1 pipes available soon (although I'm not sure exactly how soon is "soon"). He explained some design compromises that Stillen makes in order to manufacture a one-fits-all y-pipe. He said theres' will be a better flowing design - for example, on the Stillen Y the rear downpipe has an unecessarily long and curved bend. Also the collector is not as fluid a design as is possible. He said they will have different pipes customized exactly for Cali or Fed-spec cars. They should also have complete B-pipes soon. I think I'm going to get their y-pipe as soon as it's available and sell my Stillen!
Any estimated pricing info?
Old 05-07-2002, 01:08 PM

Re: Re: Go with Warpspeed's - they'll be available soon

Originally posted by jjs

Any estimated pricing info?
I'm not sure but I think he said about the same pricing as the 4th gens.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I don't blame you

Originally posted by Blackgums100

The Warpseed Y has been coming out soon for the last 6 months.

I thought it was longer than that ... sheesh ..