5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

To all 2000 owners with brake problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 10:55 AM

To all 2000 owners with brake problems!!!

The brake judder came back again, stronger than ever.

10k mi: Nissan dealer resurfaced rotors
12K mi: the dealer actually replaced the front rotors. Problem went away.
22K mi: problem came back. The dealer wants to replace the front pads and resurface rotors. I want them to replace pads AND rotors.
26K mi: on the phone with Nissan, pads are not covered under 36k mi/wtty. Then why you put weak rotors that won't hold out even 10K mi on a $20K+ car? Not aware of the problem. May have to give them proof there're other Maximas w/same problem.

PLEASE post only IF you had your brakes serviced under wtty. Give the following info:

-month you car is made
-your car's mileage when the work was performed
-what exactly was done
-how is your car holding up now, are you satisfied.

I want to show the link to this thread to Nissan ppl. Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

month made : 04/2000
mileage at repaire : 23k
repair type : sand the rotor
now @ 25k....no problem...yet.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:33 PM

Brake & Rotor Probs 2K MAX

Purchased 2K SE Pearl in 9/2000.

At around 12K miles (6/2001)first noticed minor vibration during braking. Progressively got worse over time. Rotors were resurfaced under warranty by dealer at 16K miles.

Noticed same problem occur at aroung 27K miles. Reported problem to dealer. Dealer recommends I replace fronk brake pads and resurface rotors, less than 25% of pad left could be aggravating the problem I am told. Fork out the cash for repairs at my expense since pads not under warranty. Service completed at 28K miles.

I guess I'll have to face it again in another 10-12K miles!
Old 05-10-2002, 10:38 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Re: Brake & Rotor Probs 2K MAX

Originally posted by led2max
Purchased 2K SE Pearl in 9/2000.

At around 12K miles (6/2001)first noticed minor vibration during braking. Progressively got worse over time. Rotors were resurfaced under warranty by dealer at 16K miles.

Noticed same problem occur at aroung 27K miles. Reported problem to dealer. Dealer recommends I replace fronk brake pads and resurface rotors, less than 25% of pad left could be aggravating the problem I am told. Fork out the cash for repairs at my expense since pads not under warranty. Service completed at 28K miles.

I guess I'll have to face it again in another 10-12K miles!
I have been told that what makes the vibration is the ABS system. does it only happen at high speed braking. Mine only vibrates at high speed braking.
Old 05-11-2002, 08:28 AM

Bad brakes and lawsuits....

I would encourage all of you to always keep a log of everything you do to your car, every receipt and every last penny you spend. I always do this. I bought this Chevy Lumina and ended up replacing the brakes... rotors and pads... about once a year. from 1995 (60000 miles) till now (160000 miles).

After the first few times I fixed the thing, I was mad as hell. It seems that the caliper was supposed to slide back and forth on this little bracket, keeping self centered on the rotor. The problem was that it didnt work. the damn things would stick to one side or the other and wear out pads and warp rotors. To make a long story short, I kept really good records and ended getting some of my money back in a class action lawsuit that ultimately paid out damages at 10 cents on the dollar. I was still out over about $100 per year, but at least I got the privilege of giving GM the finger. The car has actually been pretty good.

Anyway, keep your receipts for brakes on the Max. You never know when a class action lawsuit is going to pop up and give you some of your money back.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:03 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: To all 2000 owners with brake problems!!!

17k of miles no rotors warped on my 2k1 5spd, and 25k on my 2000 Auto.

Things that cause warpage:

1) Incorrectly torqued lugs
2) Cold water on hot brakes
3) Driver

I drove hard, and many passes at the track. I brake hard, let off brake hard again let off, which gives them time to cool between the time I need to stop. But I can tell you that its not the car, it might not have the best brakes, but its the things above that cause the problems.

People are complaining about bad brakes on the Acuras, and I have 3500 miles, no problems.

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

22K mi: problem came back. The dealer wants to replace the front pads and resurface rotors. I want them to replace pads AND rotors.
26K mi: on the phone with Nissan, pads are not covered under 36k mi/wtty. Then why you put weak rotors that won't hold out even 10K mi on a $20K+ car? Not aware of the problem. May have to give them proof there're other Maximas w/same problem.

PLEASE post only IF you had your brakes serviced under wtty. Give the following info:

-month you car is made
-what exactly was done

Old 05-11-2002, 09:57 AM

month made : 03/2000
mileage at repaire : 30k
repair type : resurface the rotors and replace pads

After 2000 miles, no problem yet. I would retorque lug nuts as Russ suggested. According to TSB, both rotors and pads are under warranty and should be replaced at the same time for the front. Insist on new pads or just buy good one and replace yourself.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:27 AM

-7/99
-13,000; 33,000
-resurface, pad replacement; rotor and pad replacement
-full system replaced @ 68,000

Old 05-11-2002, 03:04 PM

Russ is right on this. Talked to a CL-S owner at the running track. Absolutely loves his car but hates the brakes, and dealer service. At 37.5K has had his rotors resurafced twice and all pads replaced twice. Dealer told him that this newer cars with ABS dissipated lots of heat when brakes are applied at high speeds. This in turn seriously wears out and warps motors. He mentioned that he has had to hard brake at high speeds to avoid accidents(swears that he has had people pull up in front of him in the freeeway). I guess all in all that is a low price to pay to avoid totalling your $30K car.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:59 AM

Isn't dissapating heat off brakes the right thing to do...brakes warp when heat up unevenly or when you flash cool them w/ water.

Old 05-12-2002, 08:46 AM
BuddyWh

Originally posted by rubman
...Dealer told him that this newer cars with ABS dissipated lots of heat when brakes are applied at high speeds. This in turn seriously wears out and warps motors. ...
I'm not saying the dealer is wrong... but I am skeptical and wonder why this should be so. ABS doesn't alter braking performance short of lock-up conditions... or so it seems to me.

I'd definitely like to see or read an explanation of how ABS can lead to your brakes dissipating more heat than non-ABS; simple physics suggests the heat to be dissipated is directly related to the mass of the vehicle/cargo and it's velocity (delta V, actually)... regardless of the type of brakes it has!

Could it be... and I am just guessing... that with ABS mfr's put in lower-spec'd components, i.e., inadequate brakes for the vehicle's GVWR, and rely on ABS to save lives? I'm not cynical enough to believe that even though I suggested it!

BuddyWh

Old 05-12-2002, 11:05 AM

I think mine are warped, ....

is there a easy way to tell? If it is on the minimal side???

2K SE
purchased 9/2K

turbo dreams
woosh
Old 05-12-2002, 11:21 AM

Re: I think mine are warped, ....

Originally posted by woosh
is there a easy way to tell? If it is on the minimal side???

2K SE
purchased 9/2K

turbo dreams
woosh
go 30 mph and slam on your brakes, if you feel the wheel shake congratulations your rotors are shot. If you pedal vibrates, then congratulation, ABS kicked in and you get to do the procedure all over again.

If you feel no vibration, then you don't drive hard enough.

Old 05-12-2002, 08:07 PM

I have 24K on my 2K, and I just started to notice the "judder" or whatever within the last month or so. I ordered new pads (Hawks), but after seeing these threads about judder, I think I'm going to have the service guys check it out. I'm sure it's the rotors - I had three sets on my last car, and the 1st time it happened with the Max, I said something like "WTF, not this again!! "...

I'll let you know how my visit goes..
Old 05-12-2002, 10:20 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

-month you car is made
-what exactly was done

ive already had that problem, my rear rotors were warped at around 7000miled, and now my front break have a very small sqeak after a few hard brakes to aviod stupid drivers, i might drive crazy sometimes, but i will never take a chance if i know there is any chance some1 is gonna get hurt, i aint stupid. besides i woulnd want to hurt my car

Old 05-13-2002, 04:31 PM
Got Bent?

Re: Re: To all 2000 owners with brake problems!!!

at 10k miles, I had my front rotors resurfaced....

Now at 30k miles, brakes are totally shot. Front rotors are warped again. Pads are almost gone. Rear brakes are noisy and make grinding noises. Rear pads are all but gone.

My new brake kit from Phuong arrives this week
Old 05-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2K1 SE 5spd - Purchased 12/2000

11k miles --- Brake at highway speeds. Nissan resurfaced rotors.
30k miles --- Noticed judder starting to come back.
35k miles --- Judder bad at all speeds. Dealer didn't want to repair under warranty. They agreed to resurface, not replace. No new pads required.

41k miles --- Judder is back again. Now out of warranty. No more Nissan OEM rotors for me! Had Stillen XD Rotors and Metal Matrix Pads installed by my local mechanic.

45k miles --- No judder!!!!
Old 05-13-2002, 05:23 PM

Bought: August 1999
10K: Developed brake judder
31K: Service replaced the front brake pads and resurfaced the rotors
32.5K: currently, no problems so far

For all the trouble you've experienced, I'd have gone aftermarket by now. That or go to a new dealer to do the work.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:36 PM

15k: "No the brakes are suppost to judder at speeds above 70mph"

I never went back since and my brakes still judder. I'm replacing them and the pads this summer at a trusty local mechanic.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:04 AM

18,000 miles - Nissan resurfaced rotors
23,000 miles - With the problem much worse than before (duhhh! THINNER,inferior rotors!), the dealer agreed to replace the front rotors. I guess I figured it was a given, but the dealer said there was PLENTY of life left on my pads and didn't replace them for free nor did he try to charge me for new pads. So, we can conclude that if he is telling the truth, I couldn't be driving all that hard on my brakes since I still have the same pads at 26,000 miles currently. So far, the new rotors feel fine, but I'll be watching real close as 36,000 miles approaches! The bottom line is that for all of the dealers who don't replace the rotors, they are just contributing to potential greater damage to the front end not to mention a loss of control if you are braking around a downhill turn. That brake judder can really contibute to a loss of control.
Old 05-18-2002, 03:37 PM
SatinBlue-Max2K

My Brake Problems Explained.

Hello All:

I had my brakes serviced today and I wondered if anyone had
similar problems and to gain some info. I started searching the site
and here I am.

Details:
Maxima GXE Aug 2000 purchased Fairfax Brown's Nissan.
Now around 42000 miles. Started noticing vibrations
when applying brakes above 50 miles per hour.
Also many times noticed when appying brakes on country side roads
at 20-30 mph also. More noticable at high speeds over 50 mph.

Scheduled appointment at Sheehy Nissan in Annapolis.
They told me I had to replace front brake pad and hardware kit,
resurface front roto, replace rear brake pad and resurface rear
rotors. Cost $ 506 dollars.
Parts - Pad Kit Disc Br : 69.99
Pad Kit Disc : 59.99
Disc Brake Kit : 36.66
Total : 166.64
LABOR (2 hrs): 300.00
Misc : 30.00
Tax : 9.84
Total : 506.48
I am not sure if it is a reasonable labor rate? They told me
it will come to 480.00 but I know the split after they did service.

I have been doing regular oil changes/scheduled maintenace without
fail. They never noticed any wear and tear before. When I asked
them they say it is regular wera and tear. Since I am not that familiar with car mechanics, I have to accept them.

I have extended 5 yr/60000 mile warranty and they told it is not
covered also. I am also quite puzzled many people are having this problem. Especially since it pertains to BRAKES I think we
should get Nissan's attention on this if it recurring
frequently. I will post my feedback after some time.

Thanks!
Raj.

Old 05-18-2002, 03:45 PM
Got Bent?

$150 an hour for labor? yikes
Old 05-18-2002, 04:48 PM

Had that aweful judder at all speeds, especially on the highway, it was ridiculous, and the steering would just shake like crazy. Nissan resurfaced rotors at 23k. Just curious, how long should the brake pads last for above average use and driving? I'm at 35.5k now? Oh yeah, I think the problem is coming back a little, and i hear a slight drinding noise I never heard before.
Old 05-18-2002, 05:35 PM

After mingling with Nissan and the dealership (Nationwide Nissan, Baltimore). they are going to replace my front pads free of charge and machine rotors. If that will not help, then they will replace them. What a big deal. At first, they had to design and make our **** right then make sell car to people.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: My Brake Problems Explained.

Originally posted by SatinBlue-Max2K
Hello All:

I had my brakes serviced today and I wondered if anyone had
similar problems and to gain some info. I started searching the site
and here I am.

Details:
Maxima GXE Aug 2000 purchased Fairfax Brown's Nissan.
Now around 42000 miles. Started noticing vibrations
when applying brakes above 50 miles per hour.
Also many times noticed when appying brakes on country side roads
at 20-30 mph also. More noticable at high speeds over 50 mph.

Scheduled appointment at Sheehy Nissan in Annapolis.
They told me I had to replace front brake pad and hardware kit,
resurface front roto, replace rear brake pad and resurface rear
rotors. Cost $ 506 dollars.
Parts - Pad Kit Disc Br : 69.99
Pad Kit Disc : 59.99
Disc Brake Kit : 36.66
Total : 166.64
LABOR (2 hrs): 300.00
Misc : 30.00
Tax : 9.84
Total : 506.48
I am not sure if it is a reasonable labor rate? They told me
it will come to 480.00 but I know the split after they did service.

I have been doing regular oil changes/scheduled maintenace without
fail. They never noticed any wear and tear before. When I asked
them they say it is regular wera and tear. Since I am not that familiar with car mechanics, I have to accept them.

I have extended 5 yr/60000 mile warranty and they told it is not
covered also. I am also quite puzzled many people are having this problem. Especially since it pertains to BRAKES I think we
should get Nissan's attention on this if it recurring
frequently. I will post my feedback after some time.

Thanks!
Raj.

I also noticed some heavy vibrations lately coming from the steering wheel when applying breaks at speeds above 50. My car is at 36,400 miles. Just passed the warrantly mark. So are you saying that if i want my brakes repaired I gotta pay about $500?!?! I just did my 30K service last month and payed about $350.
What specific OEM parts do we need to repair the warped rotors? I was thinking of taking it to my local mechanic shop to install and fix it.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:28 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: My Brake Problems Explained.

Originally posted by TaiwanMaxima

I also noticed some heavy vibrations lately coming from the steering wheel when applying breaks at speeds above 50. My car is at 36,400 miles. Just passed the warrantly mark. So are you saying that if i want my brakes repaired I gotta pay about $500?!?! I just did my 30K service last month and payed about $350.
What specific OEM parts do we need to repair the warped rotors? I was thinking of taking it to my local mechanic shop to install and fix it.
yea almost sounds like the car is farting doesnt it, especially at low speeds of under 15mph, a light tap on the pedal and the max ripes one, and no they still shoulnd cost 500, 300 for labor, that bs, whats that $150 and hr with the oem pads, and resurfaced rotors the whole thing should cost somewre in the high 200s, luckily mine was under warentee at the time i had less the 8000 miles on the car too.

Old 05-18-2002, 10:23 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Re: Re: Re: My Brake Problems Explained.

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

yea almost sounds like the car is farting doesnt it, especially at low speeds of under 15mph, a light tap on the pedal and the max ripes one, and no they still shoulnd cost 500, 300 for labor, that bs, whats that $150 and hr with the oem pads, and resurfaced rotors the whole thing should cost somewre in the high 200s, luckily mine was under warentee at the time i had less the 8000 miles on the car too.
Allright now I am starting to notice somethings wrong with my brakes. I only got 28,000 miles on it. What will the dealership do for me or should I just get aftermarket rotors instead.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:33 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Re: My Brake Problems Explained.

Originally posted by myownnismo

Allright now I am starting to notice somethings wrong with my brakes. I only got 28,000 miles on it. What will the dealership do for me or should I just get aftermarket rotors instead.
just go to the dealership ur still under warentee until 36000miles, all they r gonna do is resurface rotors becasue they are warped, dont know why but they are, its a recall that effects alot of 5th gen maxs, so is the wind noise issue, the weather stripping on the rear doors is too thin, then will throw on a bigger one also under warentee, its mostly anoying on long road trips, almost went crazy driving to LA for six hrs. but about the brakes im personally gonna get a aftermarket pair thrown on after about two brake jobs, since rotors are good for about two resurfacings then ill just go aftermarket.

Old 05-27-2002, 06:30 PM

It strikes again, god damn it!

2k2 Maxima SE made 04/2000
~19000 they have done something to it. Not sure either resurfaced or replaced.
Now ~33000 it strikes again but they refuse to do it for free because there was only 12000 miles warranty on previous break job. They wanted to charge me $126+tax for only resurfacing.
Needless to say I'm very disappointed.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by Teser

Now ~33000 it strikes again but they refuse to do it for free because there was only 12000 miles warranty on previous break job. They wanted to charge me $126+tax for only resurfacing.
Good chance to get the Stillen kit from Avalon Racing or EatRiceZone.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Teser

A little update on this situation.
After getting this kind of response from the dealer I went to the Nissan website and send them a detailed letter describing my “extremely satisfying” dealer experience. To my surprise I got an e-mail response the same day (and it was a holiday - Memorial Day). Basically the service rep. asked me to clarify on a few issues. I replied and after few phone calls, today I got front rotors resurfaced and front brakes changed for free. Service rep at the dealer told me that last time they took the rotors of the car to resurface them (which is a direct violation of the Nissan Brake Judder TSB), and this time they had “new equipment” to perform procedure on the car according to the TSB. So the problem is gone for now, but only time will tell if it will happen again.
So to all of you with the similar problem (car is still under warranty but the dealer refuses to take care of brake judder for free) I suggest to contact Nissan and they will probably help you.
Good luck.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:18 PM

no more problems for me. I just got stillen rotors and pads installed.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Igor911
no more problems for me. I just got stillen rotors and pads installed.
Me too, thing stops on a dime, haha!!!
Old 05-30-2002, 07:28 PM

Old 05-31-2002, 09:27 AM

well, from the moment I started the post, I talked to peeps at Nissan Consumer Affairs and gave them hell. BTW my car has 27K miles. They told me that brake are frictional parts and are not covered under 36k bumper-to-bumper wtty. I argued that should they have replaced pads along with rotors (replaced under TSB at 12K mi) I would have had more life outta them. They kept on saying that old pads may work with new rotors OK.

After arguing for a month, I lost any hope and was to agree to any service under wtty, whether its just free resurfacing. To me surprise, not they only did replace the pads but rotors (all front) as well! I asked the tech, and he said its the "TSB" and that my old rotors were too thin to be resurfaced (put on brand new at 12K and lasted only 15K mi??).

As of now, I am happy, but see that a pattern of uneven wear is showing up on rotors, like a stripe all the way around rotors, as if the pad wasn't grabbing its full surface.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:24 AM

Brakes

2k se

Replaced rear brakes and turned rotors @ 45,000
Now need to replace Front @ 50,000

Is that normal.?
Old 05-31-2002, 11:38 AM

stillen rotors and pads make a HUGE difference for me now! I can actually tail gate again!
Old 05-31-2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Igor911
stillen rotors and pads make a HUGE difference for me now! I can actually tail gate again!
Same here. Replaced front rotors twice under warranty. After that, they wouldn't replace them anymore.

I said, to hell with that. Called up Stillen and got the front XD rotors and matching matrix pads for $250. Done. I'm sick and tired of going to the dealer.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:49 PM

Re: Brakes

Originally posted by Max_Vader_2K
2k se
Replaced rear brakes and turned rotors @ 45,000
Now need to replace Front @ 50,000
Is that normal.?

I'd say this is very normal, loook at your mileage, you got 50K mi on stock pads.

To all those who replaced their rotors with Stillen, keep us posted here. First impressions may be fake, especially after shelling out so much $$. Lets see what you say after 20K mi.
Old 05-31-2002, 03:44 PM

ahhh.... the ride is soo smooth now. when i brake, it is as smooth as a babys but.

Quick Reply: To all 2000 owners with brake problems!!!