5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Buyer's remorse...muffler expert needed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 04:46 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Buyer's remorse...muffler expert needed...

I have an appointment to get my exhaust on tomorrow. I had planned on getting an 18" Magnaflow muffler with custom tip. But on the way home from work I stopped at my custom car shop and they had a twin tip exhaust on sale. It is the Focuz MU-321. It is 14" long.

www.rs2motorsport.com/mu-321.jpg

Is this muffler going to sound more ricey than the one I had originally planned on getting? I only paid $100 for it, which is $50 less than the Magnaflow was going to be.....

Plus the Magnaflow was going to have to have the tips welded on..... This came with already.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:48 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Got any pics of it..
Old 05-13-2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
Got any pics of it..
Old 05-13-2002, 04:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Buyer's remorse...muffler expert needed...

Originally posted by asu174
I have an appointment to get my exhaust on tomorrow. I had planned on getting an 18" Magnaflow muffler with custom tip. But on the way home from work I stopped at my custom car shop and they had a twin tip exhaust on sale. It is the Focuz MU-321. It is 14" long.

www.rs2motorsport.com/mu-321.jpg

Is this muffler going to sound more ricey than the one I had originally planned on getting? I only paid $100 for it, which is $50 less than the Magnaflow was going to be.....

Plus the Magnaflow was going to have to have the tips welded on..... This came with already.
There's only one way to find out, asu174. Besides, the deed is done, right? You already bought the Focuz MU-321. So enjoy your new muffler!

Old 05-13-2002, 04:55 PM

Re: Re: Buyer's remorse...muffler expert needed...

Originally posted by y2kse

There's only one way to find out, asu174. Besides, the deed is done, right? You already bought the Focuz MU-321. So enjoy your new muffler!

Yeah, but I can always return it.... You seem to know your stuff, what would you do? I really like the tip on the Focuz much better than the one at the muffler shop....
Old 05-13-2002, 05:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Buyer's remorse...muffler expert needed...

Yeah, but I can always return it.... You seem to know your stuff, what would you do? I really like the tip on the Focuz much better than the one at the muffler shop....
Well I'm a big fan of Magnaflow mufflers. I've owned several of them and they've always held up and sounded great.

I'm a little confused about why your muffler shop said you needed to have tips welded on. Magnaflow makes several SS mufflers with integrated tips. I'd spend some time looking around the Magnaflow site if I were you:

http://www.magnaflow.com/03mirrorstreet.htm
Old 05-13-2002, 05:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Buyer's remorse...muffler expert needed...

Well I'm a big fan of Magnaflow mufflers. I've owned several of them and they've always held up and sounded great.

I'm a little confused about why your muffler shop said you needed to have tips welded on. Magnaflow makes several SS mufflers with integrated tips. I'd spend some time looking around the Magnaflow site if I were you:

http://www.magnaflow.com/03mirrorstreet.htm
Man, Mario Andretti looks old!

I don't know why either, but you have two mufflers to choose from at this shop- Magnaflow and Flowmaster. Then you have to go to this wall o' tips and hand pick which one you want. It's kinda cool actually. Oh well, if I hate it, I'll add a resonator......
Old 05-13-2002, 05:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buyer's remorse...muffler expert needed...

Man, Mario Andretti looks old!

I don't know why either, but you have two mufflers to choose from at this shop- Magnaflow and Flowmaster. Then you have to go to this wall o' tips and hand pick which one you want. It's kinda cool actually. Oh well, if I hate it, I'll add a resonator......
Fuggedaboudit, asu174. The muffler shop is just trying to get more money out of you! Go with a Magnaflow Street Series SS Muffler with integrated tips. If they don't carry Street Series Mufflers, tell them you'll take your business elsewhere.

Click again on the link I included in my last thread. I changed it to go directly to the Street Series page. You'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buyer's remorse...muffler expert needed...

Fuggedaboudit, asu174. The muffler shop is just trying to get more money out of you! Go with a Magnaflow Street Series SS Muffler with integrated tips. If they don't carry Street Series Mufflers, tell them you'll take your business elsewhere.

Click again on the link I included in my last thread. I changed it to go directly to the Street Series page. You'll see what I'm talking about.
I must have the 14804....NOW! I just called and they are getting back to me with a price...hopefully won't kill my budget. Thanks for the advice...

Old 05-13-2002, 05:35 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Y2K is RIGHT ! That place is trying to ride you for more money! Magnaflow has a lot of mufflers with dual tips.. There is no reason you should have to have extra work done. If I was you, I would just order the Magnaflow you like, or get that FOCUZ one, Ive seen that on other cars, and its very quiet.....Dont fall for that scam !
Old 05-13-2002, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
Y2K is RIGHT ! That place is trying to ride you for more money! Magnaflow has a lot of mufflers with dual tips.. There is no reason you should have to have extra work done. If I was you, I would just order the Magnaflow you like, or get that FOCUZ one, Ive seen that on other cars, and its very quiet.....Dont fall for that scam !
Alright cool. I feel much better. Screw the "custom one". They try to win you over with so many damn choices on those tips. It actually wasn't that expensive though.... Cost breakdown- $90 for muffler, $55 for tip, $90 for 2 1/2" catback system. Install included...total= $235. Not taking me for a ride I don't think... Especially with the free install...

I'm probably just going to mount the Focuz. I already have it and I really like the look. I just don't want RICE! If the Magnaflow is miraculously cheaper than $120 or so...then I will buy that one. But I doubt it. I got a REALLY good deal on the Focuz according to internet pricing.....
Old 05-13-2002, 08:03 PM

Wise choice...I like this one for mine

It is new at the shop for $125
Old 05-13-2002, 10:03 PM

I got the MagnaFlow 14830 on mine, and I love the sound. It's really nice between 2500-3000, and then softens up after that (great for driving at 80 MPH in 5th gear). Only problem I have is... not with the muffler itself, but with the Max... lol... the revs are too low in 6th gear at 80 MPH, so the muffler is the loudest while I'm crusing on longer trips. From time to time, I downshift to 5th just because I get tired of listening to it, but then I went and installed 2 12" subs and an amp, and now I don't notice it much anymore. I must say that the MagnaFlow has a nice sound to it, and by no means sounds anything ricey. It's even deeper than the HKS and Greddy mufflers; most of which sound nice.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:41 PM

Magnaflow muffler

If you are looking for nice, dual tip mufflers, Magnaflow, IMO, is the way to go. Check out my web page for a view of mine. It sounds great and looks great too.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:01 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

My powertech has dual 4 inch tipss, too big for some of you guys, but I like them. Its not loud or ricey at all. A very deep tone. The tone usually is depending on the motor too. If you put a Magnaflow on a Civic, it wont sound the same as on the Max....
Old 05-13-2002, 11:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Go for the Magnaflow everything else is just uncivilaized. Seriuosly though go with what you know not some brand name you never heard of.
Old 05-14-2002, 07:35 PM
2K1HoMax

well whenever your muffler is installed, post it up here im just waiting to see how its gonna sound b4 i make any decisions.

Old 05-15-2002, 06:31 AM

Installation complete. LOUD.

http://maxima.cardomain.com/member_p...=208846&page=2
Old 05-15-2002, 07:13 AM

So do you mean obnoxious loud? Or good loud? Are you still planning to hit the track with us on the 18th? I got my powertech yesterday, and I'm getting it put on today.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd
So do you mean obnoxious loud? Or good loud? Are you still planning to hit the track with us on the 18th? I got my powertech yesterday, and I'm getting it put on today.
Uhhh..not good loud- but not bad either. I guess i just have to get used to it.... It is actually a wee bit more ricey than I had originally thought.

The 18th is this Sat, right? I get my wheels on that day. What time are you guys going over there? Hopefully my car will be done in time....
Old 05-15-2002, 08:07 AM
Blu
the tits

looks good but i am almost 100% sure its your y pipe contributing to all the uneeded noise

Uhhh..not good loud- but not bad either. I guess i just have to get used to it.... It is actually a wee bit more ricey than I had originally thought.

The 18th is this Sat, right? I get my wheels on that day. What time are you guys going over there? Hopefully my car will be done in time....
Old 05-15-2002, 08:21 AM

Doh!, I meant Friday, the 17th. Gates open at 6:00, racing starts around 7:00. Give me a call if you want to meet up, I'll email you my ph #.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:37 AM

Ok, I admit, I am an exhaust moron, some of these MagnaFlow mufflers have 'single wall' and some 'double wall' labeled on the descriptions... Is a double wall just quieter because of the double wall? Is that why they do it?
Old 05-15-2002, 10:41 AM

single wall or double wall

The only difference between a single wall and a double wall is that the tip on the muffler. On the single walls, the tip just has a single sheet, round metal tip. The duble wall is more a molded type tip...IMO, the double walled looks better, but it is a matter of choice. I don't believe there is any noise difference between the single and double walled
Old 05-15-2002, 06:07 PM

LOUD.
That comes as no surprise. Now you know why I reinstalled my OEM rear section.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:16 PM

Just put the Powertech on, and WOW! It sounds great, nice deep tone, not raspy at all! I love it, and it feels a little quicker in the midrange too.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:26 PM
2K1HoMax

now im really wondering, ill probably spot u in the street sooner or later and see what that thing sounds like in person i still got a little bit of time to go before i get this thing done.

Old 05-15-2002, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax
now im really wondering, ill probably spot u in the street sooner or later and see what that thing sounds like in person i still got a little bit of time to go before i get this thing done.
I have no regrets. At first I was like...wooahhh this is too much. Now, I really enjoy the way it sounds. It just takes getting used to. Without the resonator, it sounded WAY too loud, so plan on spending a little more for one of those.

Also, the muffler I got I got a KILLER deal on at Southwest Autoworks...they had one more left on Tuesday if you're interested.......

Yeah...PM me if you wanna swing by my house and check it out.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:02 PM

So Andy, are you gonna "Man up" and come to the track?
Old 05-16-2002, 05:09 AM

So Andy, are you gonna "Man up" and come to the track?
It's funny that you say "man up"... I told my girlfriend (master) that I was going to be going out there and she had a conniption. I'm already on her shi- list for dropping $1500 this week on my car. Now I'm ditching her on our one date night of the week......and she just had her wisdom teeth out.

Yeah, yeah, such a sob story, but............

I am going to have to somehow get her to come out there with me or I can't go.... And she hates cars......especially mine. I will let you know tomorrow (Friday- last minute of course).
Old 05-16-2002, 05:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It's funny that you say "man up"... I told my girlfriend (master) that I was going to be going out there and she had a conniption. I'm already on her shi- list for dropping $1500 this week on my car. Now I'm ditching her on our one date night of the week......and she just had her wisdom teeth out.

Yeah, yeah, such a sob story, but............

I am going to have to somehow get her to come out there with me or I can't go.... And she hates cars......especially mine. I will let you know tomorrow (Friday- last minute of course).
Good Luck!!! You are gonna need it.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:09 AM

Yeah, take it from someone that's been married for 7 years, just go, she'll get over it, the sooner she realises your gonna do whatever you feel like doing, the sooner she'll let go. Or you can try the old standby trick, and leave her the bankcard, tell her to go buy something nice for herself
Old 05-16-2002, 07:57 AM

Yeah, take it from someone that's been married for 7 years, just go, she'll get over it, the sooner she realises your gonna do whatever you feel like doing, the sooner she'll let go. Or you can try the old standby trick, and leave her the bankcard, tell her to go buy something nice for herself
This girl's different..... She's a French Canadian that will take crap from no one- especially me. She'll have her shi- packed and moved out before I even get to Firebird. Then she'll Andre Rison my a-- and burn the house down with all of my stuff in it.

But I mentioned that I really want her to come with me and check it out on Friday and she gave me the "I'll consider it". I think I'm good to go! I will update as soon as I hear more.....