5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

what does it take?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what does it take?

what do I need to make my car have dual mufflers (one on each side of the car)??
well.....besides $
thx
Old 05-17-2002, 02:52 AM

Re: what does it take?

Originally posted by tapwr3000
what do I need to make my car have dual mufflers (one on each side of the car)??
well.....besides $
thx

All it takes is a person willing to give up a lot of low end/back pressure! Nah unless you rig it right it will seriously hurt your accel times. It has been done to 4th gens and I don't know of a 5th gen but go too big in the piping and all you will only have top end!
Old 05-17-2002, 10:19 AM

well.....besides $
thx
you'll have to find a body shop to cut a second indent in your bumper on the left side. then find a good local exhaust shop. talk to them about it. have them get a good y-splitter (not a u-splitter), and then mandrel bend you some good 2.25" stainless steel piping. do this behind the cat. then buy two resonators and two mufflers of your choice. one resonator and muffler on each pipe and voila, dual exhaust (not true dual - but nobody has that, not even V8's) and you won't give up a lot of backpressure for MUCH better looks. I'd do this myself if I had money.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:38 AM

well.....besides $
thx
Patience - for the 2004 Maxima...